burning objects FIRE

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.

Is this possible or am i crazy?

This is possible yes!
75%
No its not possible...
No votes
Your just crazy!
25%

Total votes: 16

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Definitely possible, but you'd need to implement the burning algorithms and the modification of the mesh yourself, since that's a behavioural rather than graphical thing. On Ogre's side you'd just have to decide how to implement the fire effect, say through animated textures, or something smarter like a pixel shader.
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

Seeing as I know NOTHING about BSPs, how difficult is it to modify them on the fly?

Post by Guest »

Most people who judge graphics in game usually look for good:
1. water
2. fire

Good water is allready starting to pick up...see Here

Good fire definitly needs to be done via shaders, matrials, particles, etc.
bad_camel
Halfling

Post by bad_camel »

There are about 5 halflife 2 demos floating around each is basically the same but each seems to contain some little bit the others don;t

It would seem to me that valve have found the answer to how to do fire and water. Their Source engine truly looks amazing.
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

Well, they've also been working on it for what, 5 years now? And they're funded by bargeloads of cash, courtesy of Half-Life. ;)

But yes, the Source engine is amazing. From what I've seen, I like it even better than the Doom3 engine. While perhaps less technically impressive, it delivers a much fuller feel.

And it can use a pallete that isn't composed entirely of blacks, greys, browns, and the occassional red, too. ;)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

The HL2 fire appears to be formed from:

- one or more animated flame textures, additive blended
- a heat haze billboard which is rendered using a pixel shader, this is basically a trasparent quad with a wave distortion of the existing contents of the frame buffer
- a glow which might be as simple as a few additive quads but might be more complex, I'm not sure

Their water distortion is a similar pixel shader to the heat haze but using a different combination of waves (the heat waves dissipate with vertical distance for example, but the water appears to have more intersecting waves, maybe 3-5 sine waves).

Damn, it's beautiful :) Mind you, it was running on a Radeon 9800 Pro, I'm not sure how many effects we'll lose on lesser cards.
bad_camel
Halfling

Post by bad_camel »

From about august there seem to be a wave of games coming out using shaders, so I think I'll be buying a top end gf4 soon
Crawl
Gnoblar

Post by Crawl »

Antiarc wrote:Seeing as I know NOTHING about BSPs, how difficult is it to modify them on the fly?
My knowledge of BSP is limited too but i think it's nearly impossible,.....