Roll Your Own Ogre
-
DrEvil
- Halfling
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:07 am
- Contact:
-
Robbob
- Kobold
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:13 pm
- Location: UK
OK! So the ogre is now UV mapped ( after several file-format hurdles ) and the base diffuse texture is done, need to add some details. Any suggestions for what might be good?
EDIT: OK, sone the specular now. Just out of interest, what kind of polycount are we aiming for here?
EDIT: OK, sone the specular now. Just out of interest, what kind of polycount are we aiming for here?
Last edited by Robbob on Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Dan
- Halfling
- Posts: 74
- Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:28 pm
- Location: USA
- Contact:
add
add, scares, maby one running diagnal across his left leg, moles, maby a club, and clothing texture
Free 3d Models in .mesh format!
(click below) (23 free models!)
http://www.geocities.com/danbrianwhite/
Wings3d Converter with GUI
http://danbrianwhite.googlepages.com/Wi ... Helper.zip
(click below) (23 free models!)
http://www.geocities.com/danbrianwhite/
Wings3d Converter with GUI
http://danbrianwhite.googlepages.com/Wi ... Helper.zip
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:

The teeth are the most recent adition here, when I'm finished he'll have gums and a tongue and all that. I wanted to get his teeth in for this shot, so it's kinda sloppy. I'm also going to add some more of those little wrinkes near the eyes.
I hope there's still an interest for this.
[edit]
I worked on it some, and now the pic is more current than before. I added eye color just so he would have pupils, and I started to work on the teeth and decided to do it later, and did more touch-up as always. Gotta sleep...
[/edit]
Last edited by wavez on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
- Jezze
- Halfling
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:47 pm
- Location: Uppsala, Sweden
- Contact:
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
Jezze: Thanks. I'll try to answer your questions, but I don't know that the second one has a short answer, because it depends a little on what you meant by technique.
1, I use Wings. I will be using Blender, but probably not a whole lot for the ogre. I am fairly confident that Yafray will be the renderer I use to make some really snazy shots with global illumination and/or final gathering, before exporting to ogre. I say Yafray because it is so widely used, and because it integrates into both Wings and Blender. Blender may get chosen for the texturing, not sure yet though.
2, Technique? Well, for ogranic characters, the new standard is catmull-clark subdivision surfaces, which is what you see there. Before subdivision surfaces, nurbs was the way to do organic things, but that is not really used a lot for modeling anymore because it has more limitations and is more difficult to work with.
[edit]
If you were looking for something more specific with question two, like perhaps what's my approach to polygon sub surf's modeling, (ie modeling philosophy) then let me know.
[/edit]
1, I use Wings. I will be using Blender, but probably not a whole lot for the ogre. I am fairly confident that Yafray will be the renderer I use to make some really snazy shots with global illumination and/or final gathering, before exporting to ogre. I say Yafray because it is so widely used, and because it integrates into both Wings and Blender. Blender may get chosen for the texturing, not sure yet though.
2, Technique? Well, for ogranic characters, the new standard is catmull-clark subdivision surfaces, which is what you see there. Before subdivision surfaces, nurbs was the way to do organic things, but that is not really used a lot for modeling anymore because it has more limitations and is more difficult to work with.
[edit]
If you were looking for something more specific with question two, like perhaps what's my approach to polygon sub surf's modeling, (ie modeling philosophy) then let me know.
[/edit]
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
When I started work on my ogre's new expression, I tentativly said I would release a the head model in a week, but I don't think I'm going to hit that mark. So I'm setting a release date, and on--or before--that day, (before mignight, Pacific Standard Time) I'll release a file of some sort (whatever ogre uses [.mesh?] ) on my website that you all can download and play around with. The ogre is probably going to be a work in progress for quite a while, so I'm going to give the released models versions. I also want to protect my right's as the author, and allow all of you to use and enjoy the ogre completely free, so I need to find the right license (or copyright?) for him. Basicly, I just don't want anyone using him for profit and/or taking credit for him, because it is my work. Otherwise he is free. Hopfully that's a possibility. If not, I will still release him for free, and I'll just put my name in the file. Here's what's left for me to do:
1. Find an appropriate license, copyright, or otherwise legally binding statement for distribution.
2. Import to Blender and use blender export script, or convert from obj to ogre's format, whatever's easier.
3. Make sure the ogre model loads correctly and looks right in the ogre engine.
4. Create texture and UV map.
5. Improve the ogre's mesh as much as possible before release date!
I'm picking July 31st as the release date. That's next Saturday. Hopfully there won't be any major show stoppers, like my house burning down
1. Find an appropriate license, copyright, or otherwise legally binding statement for distribution.
2. Import to Blender and use blender export script, or convert from obj to ogre's format, whatever's easier.
3. Make sure the ogre model loads correctly and looks right in the ogre engine.
4. Create texture and UV map.
5. Improve the ogre's mesh as much as possible before release date!
I'm picking July 31st as the release date. That's next Saturday. Hopfully there won't be any major show stoppers, like my house burning down
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
okay, I got a license, and I got the ogre exported. Bottom of this page:
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/artwork/HiResOgre.html
On to the UV mapping.
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/artwork/HiResOgre.html
On to the UV mapping.
- mikeprosser
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:35 am
- Contact:
-
Fredz
- Greenskin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 1:45 pm
- Location: Perpignan, France
> On to the UV mapping
If you use Blender for UV mapping, there is a great new tool for unwrapping based on LSCM. It's only available in bf-blender for now, but I have read that it should be available in Blender 2.34.
Some details about how it works :
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/lukep_test.323.0.html
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/UV_Unwrapping.363.0.html
Linux version :
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/blender ... 15.tar.bz2
Windows version :
http://www.netconnexion.ca/~gbeloin/ely ... 040722.zip
If you use Blender for UV mapping, there is a great new tool for unwrapping based on LSCM. It's only available in bf-blender for now, but I have read that it should be available in Blender 2.34.
Some details about how it works :
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/lukep_test.323.0.html
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/UV_Unwrapping.363.0.html
Linux version :
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/blender ... 15.tar.bz2
Windows version :
http://www.netconnexion.ca/~gbeloin/ely ... 040722.zip
- neocryptek
- Gnome
- Posts: 335
- Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:21 pm
- Location: Idaho, USA
- Contact:
ogre is looking great!
considered using normal maps to reduce the polycount when your all done? you could knock out quite a chunk of those polys, yet keep the same ammount of detail.
[plus normal mapping is allways a nice ogre feature to show off to newcombers
]
what ever happened to cstretten? we need a competition!
-N30
considered using normal maps to reduce the polycount when your all done? you could knock out quite a chunk of those polys, yet keep the same ammount of detail.
[plus normal mapping is allways a nice ogre feature to show off to newcombers
what ever happened to cstretten? we need a competition!
-N30
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
Ya, that's what I want to know, where is cstrettan? I thought this was a contest.
About the poly count: I'm not familier with normal maps, or at least, I've never heard that term before. I am familier with polygon reduction though, and It's really not necessary to use such an algorithym on him, since what you see is the high resolution subdivided surface of the original mesh. If you want a lower number of polygons, then I can cut it down to roughly 25% of what's pictured above. Here is a pic of the mesh I actually edit, the vertices I actually place myself:
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/HiResOgreHeadGEO.jpg
Each square poly is split into 4 new ones when I run subdivision surfaces on it. Even with the high number of polygons (currently at 16,814) ogre still runs at about 30fps on my machine, even when I move the mesh around, and have environment mapping applied.
Don't worry about it though, I'll release the original mesh, and the subdivided one, so you can choose which one you want to use.
One other thought: I showed some friends of mine the water demo, and all they could focus on was the head swimming around, instead of the really cool water. I thought I would make a hand mesh for that demo, like a hand dragging it's finger thru the water. Maybe that sounds like a bad idea, but I have a really nice hand mesh already made, I'll get some pics up when it's done, I think you'll like it.
About the poly count: I'm not familier with normal maps, or at least, I've never heard that term before. I am familier with polygon reduction though, and It's really not necessary to use such an algorithym on him, since what you see is the high resolution subdivided surface of the original mesh. If you want a lower number of polygons, then I can cut it down to roughly 25% of what's pictured above. Here is a pic of the mesh I actually edit, the vertices I actually place myself:
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/HiResOgreHeadGEO.jpg
Each square poly is split into 4 new ones when I run subdivision surfaces on it. Even with the high number of polygons (currently at 16,814) ogre still runs at about 30fps on my machine, even when I move the mesh around, and have environment mapping applied.
Don't worry about it though, I'll release the original mesh, and the subdivided one, so you can choose which one you want to use.
One other thought: I showed some friends of mine the water demo, and all they could focus on was the head swimming around, instead of the really cool water. I thought I would make a hand mesh for that demo, like a hand dragging it's finger thru the water. Maybe that sounds like a bad idea, but I have a really nice hand mesh already made, I'll get some pics up when it's done, I think you'll like it.
- Dan
- Halfling
- Posts: 74
- Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:28 pm
- Location: USA
- Contact:
i think this mesh looks awsome. if it was not for the teath, and the sixpack, i would say that is my brother
. shhh don't tell him.
Free 3d Models in .mesh format!
(click below) (23 free models!)
http://www.geocities.com/danbrianwhite/
Wings3d Converter with GUI
http://danbrianwhite.googlepages.com/Wi ... Helper.zip
(click below) (23 free models!)
http://www.geocities.com/danbrianwhite/
Wings3d Converter with GUI
http://danbrianwhite.googlepages.com/Wi ... Helper.zip
- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
Looking good wavez. And it looks like you might have some competition after all: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
Hey guys. Well, I'm sorry to say that I was not able to convert my textured ogre head. One blender obj converter messes up the texture, and the other doesn't import the texture. So i tried a wings to ogre converter, but it seems to be in an endless loop right now. So I'm going to put up the .obj and .wings files. Here's a pic, this is what I was able to get done. The texture is still quite crude, I appologize. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with his eye brows. In the texture they look good, but on the mesh they don't.
[edit]
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/pics/HiResOgreHeadUV.jpg
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/tmp/newogrehead0.01.obj
A friend of mine working on a new import script for blender, and he's says it's working pretty good, so that head should be available as a .mesh soon enough. And I really need to work on that texture.
[/edit]
[edit]
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/pics/HiResOgreHeadUV.jpg
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/tmp/newogrehead0.01.obj
A friend of mine working on a new import script for blender, and he's says it's working pretty good, so that head should be available as a .mesh soon enough. And I really need to work on that texture.
[/edit]
- Cyberdigitus
- Halfling
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: Belgium
- Contact:
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
Hi again everyone. I havn't dropped this project, it's just been kind of crazy lately. I got my new laptop and I tried linux on it, but I think I'm going to be happier if I use windows because I will be able to use more hardware like the flash memory card drive, and I'll be able to use more software like Rhino, Zbrush and Photo Shop. I really wanted to have textures on this model when I made it available for download, but I figured it's been long enough. The model is in pretty good shape, he has finger nails but no toe nails right now. I saw the news about the new converter that supports the ogre format, so maybe you guys can run this obj file through that. I used the script for blender to export the model to xml, but then the OgreXMLConverter said "The Mesh you have supplied does not have its bounds completely defined. Define them first before exporting.." Maybe someone could help me out, what does that mean?
I'll work on it some more later. Note that the feet are not level because this model is setup for a skeleton. My hope is that some of the demos will be able to take advantage of a skeleton with this model, or that maybe the shadow demo, for example, could use an ogre statue in a battle ready position, kinda like in my crappy ogre sketch on my site.
I will also work some more on the low res mesh, maybe add a little detail to it, but what it really needs is a texture. Now that I'm on windows and I can use Zbrush, the texturing process might work out a little better than my previous attempt. I hate texturing.
check it out:
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/artwork/HiResOgre.html
The most current pic is on the bottom.
I'll work on it some more later. Note that the feet are not level because this model is setup for a skeleton. My hope is that some of the demos will be able to take advantage of a skeleton with this model, or that maybe the shadow demo, for example, could use an ogre statue in a battle ready position, kinda like in my crappy ogre sketch on my site.
I will also work some more on the low res mesh, maybe add a little detail to it, but what it really needs is a texture. Now that I'm on windows and I can use Zbrush, the texturing process might work out a little better than my previous attempt. I hate texturing.
check it out:
http://home.mlode.com/~rc/artwork/HiResOgre.html
The most current pic is on the bottom.
Registered Linux user number 365865
-
cstretten
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:11 pm
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
I'm still alive...
Hi everyone... I'm sorry I've been off the map for soo long.
I've moved once and changed jobs two times since my last post. Also had a new addition to the family... so I've been a little busy.
Anyway... I haven't forgotten about the ogre model, and I'll be back soon with something to show.
I promise.
Cheers,
Chris
I've moved once and changed jobs two times since my last post. Also had a new addition to the family... so I've been a little busy.
Anyway... I haven't forgotten about the ogre model, and I'll be back soon with something to show.
I promise.
Cheers,
Chris
The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between work and play, labor and leisure, mind and body.
He pursues his vision of excellence, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him he is always doing both.
He pursues his vision of excellence, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him he is always doing both.
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
@Cyberdigitus :
@Wavez :
@cstretten :
Very, very cool that you are ogreing out some ogres for Ogre!
If we can't pick the best one, we might get "The three Ogres" starring as our mascot.
@Wavez :
@cstretten :
If we can't pick the best one, we might get "The three Ogres" starring as our mascot.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
