Roll Your Own Ogre

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

*bump* :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

HEHE, still working on it. Learning takes time.
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

For those curious about what I am learning check out this site: http://www.virtualmediastudios.com/tuts ... /index.htm. There are tons of other sites that deal with the topic of texture mapping but I felt this site covered it best by showing you how to create the maps from scratch using a hands on approach. I have been using Gimp for creating the textures and Blender for the iniatial renderings to see if I am getting it right. I then test using the Ogre renderer to see if I am still getting the same thing.
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by nfz »

Got a chance after todays Easter feast to try out the techniques discussed in the tutorial at the link I posted above. I used the GLSL shader discussed in another thread to add a more interesting skin to the Ogre I have been working on.

Didn't get a chance to tweak the different maps after completing the tutorial but here is a first rendering:

Image
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

Very nice!
setrodox
Kobold
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: Graz, Austria

Post by setrodox »

Looks great!
Is the mesh manifold?
User avatar
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:39 am

Post by Robomaniac »

ZONKERS!
Last edited by Robomaniac on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phear hingo

My Webpage
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

Coooool!! Just two suggestions: Reduce saturation to the green, and reduce the skin glossiness; looks like plastic skin :)
User avatar
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 10:05 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by SpannerMan »

Looking brill nfz, I like the detail in the ears with the veins :)
User avatar
Goosey
Halfling
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:33 am
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Post by Goosey »

goodness nfz that is just looking better and better. I really like it and how it is progressing, keep up the good work!
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
User avatar
TobascoSpam
Halfling
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:30 am
Location: Texas

Post by TobascoSpam »

Very cool, I also like the veins in the ears, good detail. Thanks for the site link as well for the tutorials.
User avatar
batonrye
Halfling
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:37 pm
Location: Michigan, US
Contact:

Post by batonrye »

yeah, i have to admit when i think of an ogre mascot, i think of a fat, jolly fellow, with a brown vest and white shirt... [shrek]

oh, and very nice above! just the right amount of "cute" and "toughness".
User avatar
erl4ngg4
Gnoblar
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:09 am
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Contact:

Ogre MESH (with multiple parts) at www.quinlor.de

Post by erl4ngg4 »

Do you guys still here? Am I late?

But I found some great mesh at http://www.quinlor.de. Complete with texture!

And the best thing is, IT'S TOTALLY FREE SAMPLE!
Practice makes perfect. But nobody's perfect, no? So why practice?
nevrosis
Gnoblar
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:29 am

thx erl4ngg4

Post by nevrosis »

thx erl4ngg4
User avatar
Grom
Hobgoblin
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:35 pm

Post by Grom »

just read through the whole thread (alot of the links to images no longer work)

Why doesn't someone just finish/refine teh ogre head model? Like, add a body (and animations if possible) that matches the head we already know and love? I mean, the head is on all the merchandise and is pretty recognizable at this point
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

This thread is totally dead..
Tried my very best to get some artist types to create an Ogre model - but as you can see.. :wink:
User avatar
d3th_n1gG4
Gnome
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 am
Location: Durban, South Africa, No London, wait, where?
Contact:

Post by d3th_n1gG4 »

heh i'm still trying to get one of my 2 graphic artist mates to design me a logo.... It's been what 5 months now :S
The cow it goes: "Shjazooo!"
User avatar
Wretched_Wyx
Orc
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Hey, not sure if anyone posted a link to this one yet:

http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/orc/orc-shots.htm

Cost a bill, but still. Something like this agreeable as a new Ogre mascot? On that same site there is another one that I thought was cool:

http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/troll/troll_02.jpg

Not that detailed, but I like the basic overall look. What do you guys think?
User avatar
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
x 3
Contact:

Post by CaseyB »

I really like the first one! And it looks very similar to what we have now, which I also like, but I have trouble wrapping my head around a $100 price tag for a zip file!
User avatar
Lee04
Minaton
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: Sweden
x 1

Here is my take of the Ogre..

Post by Lee04 »

Hi

This is my take on the Ogre first try this morning.,,Hard to think this came out of a programmer? :) Programmers rule!

Image

Image

Image

Obj file (Large warning!):
http://www.abcmedia.se/OgreHead5.OBJ

What do U think? I don't like the textured version myself much.

Lee04

(Sorry for posting on two different threads you all got me confused)
Ph.D. student in game development
User avatar
celic
Gnome
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:05 am
Location: Chisinau/Moldova
Contact:

Post by celic »

I'm really scarried by this one! :shock:
User avatar
Wretched_Wyx
Orc
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Yeah, I really don't agree with some of the pricing on models some people slap on. I understand the work that can go into a model, but you can't price it on that. You have to price the quality. I think maybe $25 for that model would be good. After all, it is just a simple low poly creation. As good as it is, definitely not worth paying for. But it would be a good base direction to head towards I believe. Has anyone seen the special movies on the 'God of War' PS2 game? They take a look at some of the conceptual models for various creatures/enemies in the game, and among those was the ogre. There was one model that looked simply awesome. I say this because 1. The 'scary' model above has a similar feel (with the skull necklace) and because 2. I think a model similar to that would simply rock. Some animations and all. Or how about the Nvidia demo where that troll guy is eating little dudes and dancin' around? Good demo. Lastly, I've been playing Lineage 2, and the Orcs in the game look similar to the current Ogre head (i mean the orc heads look similar).

Lee04- Did you use ZBrush to make that model? ZBrush rocks. Little bit of a learning curve (at least for this nub) but in the end I feel character modeling in ZBrush is mighty powerful.

Sorry to go off topic there... Anyhow, I was thinking about contacting a few very talented character modelers and seeing if they would contribute to Ogre, by creating not only a new model, but some animations for a little demo movie that could span across many of the features of Ogre to really show it all off in a big way.
Last edited by Wretched_Wyx on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lee04
Minaton
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: Sweden
x 1

Post by Lee04 »

I think maybe $25 for that model would be good.
@Wretched_Wyx: Yes, the Ogre is Z Brush and skull in 3DSMax, No my models are not for sale like that. What I am offering is like 1-3 custom models for your application per month for 300 Euro. Depending if I also have to rigg them and / or make rt shaders for them. Modelling, UV mapping, texturing, normal maps and animation I can do pritty quickly.


@celic: Yes don't play with Ogre...or the Ogre will play with you..



Lee04
Ph.D. student in game development
User avatar
Wretched_Wyx
Orc
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Lee04- My mistake, I should have specified what I was talking about with the model pricing there. I was referring to another site, and had no idea that you offered models. Now if the model you were working on is an example of the kind of stuff you have to offer, that's my idea of something worth paying for. How is the progress on that model coming along? Also, were you planning on doing a whole character, or just the head? A full body with animations would be sweet. Take more time obviously, but would be sweet none-the-less.

I'm having a hard time finding this guy I was in contact with years ago, who worked on models for the original "Unreal". Not actual game assets, but rather free models for mappers/modders. He re-skinned the Skaarj, and made a few more character models, with added detail. I was thinking he might be interested in doing something for Ogre since he totally supported open-source and community driven projects and content. I guess it works out that I can't find him and your working on something so cool yourself ^^.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Image

Image

Image
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Post Reply