SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Post Reply
ImpScary
Gnoblar
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:32 am

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by ImpScary »

Xavyiy wrote:@Vectrex & Praetor
Mmm, Are you surre that you're calling SkyX->update(...) each frame?, maybe this is the problem.
Yes, of course, and everything else gets updated correctly. Now i have compiled your demo myself and it has the same problem. In precompiled demo everything is fine. Ogre 1.6.3 SDK, Visual Studio Express 2008.
Razumihin
Kobold
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 am

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Razumihin »

Hi!

SkyX was pretty easy to get working on my project, but now I'm trying to sync SkyX clock with Caelum clock and I'm unable to set the time multiplier correctly. I think the intuitive scale would be that 1.0 would be the real time speed and 2.0 double that. It would be nice to have the real scale on the API.

Razumihin
lukashoror
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by lukashoror »

Ignore this, i'm shying now. Bug was between keyboard and display :)

Hi Xavyiy,
I found a little bug: I have vclouds without autoupdate and initial daytime. If I set time multiplier to zero and after that I set time to midnight (night time), atmosphere won't update - you'll see dark vclouds and blue sky :)
carlosmorcerf
Gnoblar
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 pm
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by carlosmorcerf »

error in ogre.log

Can't assign material _NULL_ to SubEntity of SkyXMeshEnt because this Material does not exist. Have you forgotten to define it in a .material script?
Sou NOOOOOOOOOB
lukashoror
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by lukashoror »

You have to add

Code: Select all

[SkyX]
FileSystem=../../Media/SkyX
into resources.cfg.
th3flyboy
Gnoblar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 am
x 1

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by th3flyboy »

Question, when would it be probable that a Linux compatible version is released? I'm considering porting a project I'm working on over to OGRE from OSG, however it must work on linux and windows, and I would like to use this plugin in the project.
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Xavyiy »

th3flyboy wrote:Question, when would it be probable that a Linux compatible version is released? I'm considering porting a project I'm working on over to OGRE from OSG, however it must work on linux and windows, and I would like to use this plugin in the project.
The only thing you've to do is porting the shaders to glsl or cg, then all the c++ code is cross-platform.
th3flyboy
Gnoblar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 am
x 1

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by th3flyboy »

OK, thanks, I'll look in to doing that a bit later, as it may prove useful.
User avatar
Misterblue
Gnoblar
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Misterblue »

I added SkyX to my project and the sky looks great but the sun does not shine on any of my objects -- everything has my dim ambient lighting.

Do I need to add a pass to all my materials for XSky? The demo sources only have terrain which gets a ground pass added to it. Is there something for other materials?

The other possibility is I'm enabling something I shouldn't. Is there something I should not be enabling or I should enable to get the sun to shine?

Thanks for any pointers.
User avatar
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Mountain View, CA
x 10
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by DanielSefton »

@Misterblue:
Xavyiy wrote:For lighitng, SkyX doesn't create any light in Ogre, so if you want a sun light you'll have to add it yourself(You can check the HydraxSkyX demo for an example).
User avatar
Misterblue
Gnoblar
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Misterblue »

Doh. (sound of forehead slap).

Is there a place for feature requests or patches? Some things I'd like (and may add myself):
-- sun slant (the current implementation has the sun going directly overhead)
-- sun and moon managed by a common "light in the sky" class -- making for common sun/moon code and easier 5 sun planets

All around a great Ogre add-on.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:53 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
x 1
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Vectrex »

Misterblue wrote:Doh. (sound of forehead slap).

Is there a place for feature requests or patches? Some things I'd like (and may add myself):
-- sun slant (the current implementation has the sun going directly overhead)
-- sun and moon managed by a common "light in the sky" class -- making for common sun/moon code and easier 5 sun planets

All around a great Ogre add-on.
Caelum is great for that. It has a good julian day model which can be used in isolation. The star field is really great too. Luckily they are all seperate from each other.
Sheen
Halfling
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
x 1

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Sheen »

I tested SkyX on multi-monitor/multi-device configuration last week. It seems to work, but not as well as it should. I have two GTX260. And something is wrong with the clouds on the first device (monitors #1 & #2) while the second (monitors #3 & #4) works great.
I think the problem is in multi-device patch (I'm using Ogre 1.6 with one of the first patches). Will try it next week with Ogre's trunk version, hope the problem would be solved.

Some photos:
http://sheen.me/temp/twr1.jpg (the Bug)
http://sheen.me/temp/twr2.jpg (bug on two monitors)
http://sheen.me/temp/twr3.jpg (the whole picture)

Oh, and I've got some question to Xavyiy:
Is it possible (or will be) to change clouds drawing distance? It's very short by default and there's too much free space above the horizon.
And the second question: will it be possible to fly above the clouds in the future? Currently them look a little weird from above.
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Xavyiy »

@Misterblue
Correct sun/moon geo-positioning is something that I'll include in the next release.
As well as a new stars system :)

@Sheen
Wow, I love to se SkyX in a multi-monitor system :)
I don't know how the multi-device ogre system works, but it seems odd, I think you must try it in the trunk version, and if problems persists email me with some tecnical detaills of the problem.
About your questions:
You can change the cloud distance, of course, but it's a little complicated. By default, SkyX adjust it based on your camera far clip distance(see VCloudsManager.cpp) but there're a lot of params that you can change in order to modify the geometry.
You can check this scheme: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3962/cloudsgeom.png that I've done while I was coding the clouds geometry part, I think you can be interested in modify the Alpha and Beta angles (See VClouds constructor options, in VCloudsManager.cpp), but as well the radius parameter is a little hard to get a good relation between all them.
You can play with these parameters and trying to adapt it to get the better config for your scene.
Anyway when I'll redesign it(in some months) I will provide some options to change geoemtry params easily :)
Abot the second question, cloud rendering from the above, it's possible and it's not very hard to implement, in fact I've player a little with it while I was coding it, but finally I haven't include this feature in the first release, there was some things that I haven't liked, so... it'll be for future releases(0.2 I hope!)

Xavi
User avatar
boyamer
Orc
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Italy
x 6

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by boyamer »

Hope you'll do more improvement on SkyX because it looks very nice and would like to use it on my own
projects,what about Hydrax? Any plans on optimize it too? for higher FPS?

THanks
User avatar
Xplodwild
Goblin
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: France
x 13
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Xplodwild »

There's a little bug with Particles and SkyX. Clouds are always rendered over particles/billboards. What to do to avoid this ?
lukashoror
Gnoblar
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by lukashoror »

Just change Render Queue Group of particles.
http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/api/html/cla ... 5174448a11
http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/api/html/cla ... 29bf5ff805
I think you have to change render queue group ID of particles to higher value but i'm not sure. Maybe there is some "trick" with Z buffer writing in Skyx.
grubi
Gnoblar
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:43 am

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by grubi »

I wanna also enjoy your plugin, but there seem to be some problems:
Are there any special requirements to run SkyX Demo? I do not see any Sky.

When i move to cam to furthermore to the blue moutians they only lose their blue color, but they remain dark (does not matter which time). Is this as it should be?

Some Informations:
- DX 9c
- Dual Core P4 3GHz
- Graphics: Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family - 128 MB
- OS: XP Pro SP2

I can not test it on my normal PC (GeForce GTS 250) because it is damaged...
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Xavyiy »

@grubi
As far as I know, some Intel chipsets have poor support for some shader model versions.
Even skyx only needs SM 2.0, maybe your graphic card is not able to run this shader model version as expected.

Xavi
grubi
Gnoblar
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:43 am

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by grubi »

I just found this in the Ogre.log
RenderSystem Name: Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem
11:12:38: GPU Vendor: intel
11:12:38: Device Name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
11:12:38: Driver Version: 6.14.10.4396
11:12:38: * Fixed function pipeline: yes
11:12:38: * Hardware generation of mipmaps: no
11:12:38: * Texture blending: yes
11:12:38: * Anisotropic texture filtering: yes
11:12:38: * Dot product texture operation: yes
11:12:38: * Cube mapping: yes
11:12:38: * Hardware stencil buffer: yes
11:12:38: - Stencil depth: 8
11:12:38: - Two sided stencil support: yes
11:12:38: - Wrap stencil values: yes
11:12:38: * Hardware vertex / index buffers: yes
11:12:38: * Vertex programs: yes
11:12:38: * Fragment programs: yes
11:12:38: * Geometry programs: no
11:12:38: * Supported Shader Profiles: hlsl ps_1_1 ps_1_2 ps_1_3 ps_1_4 ps_2_0 vs_1_1 vs_2_0 vs_2_a vs_2_x vs_3_0
11:12:38: * Texture Compression: yes
11:12:38: - DXT: yes
11:12:38: - VTC: no
11:12:38: * Scissor Rectangle: yes
11:12:38: * Hardware Occlusion Query: no
11:12:38: * User clip planes: yes
11:12:38: * VET_UBYTE4 vertex element type: yes
11:12:38: * Infinite far plane projection: yes
11:12:38: * Hardware render-to-texture: yes
11:12:38: * Floating point textures: no
11:12:38: * Non-power-of-two textures: yes (limited)
11:12:38: * Volume textures: yes
11:12:38: * Multiple Render Targets: 1
11:12:38: - With different bit depths: no
11:12:38: * Point Sprites: yes
11:12:38: * Extended point parameters: yes
11:12:38: * Max Point Size: 256
11:12:38: * Vertex texture fetch: no
11:12:38: * Render to Vertex Buffer : no
11:12:38: * DirectX per stage constants: yes
I bolt'ed the shader-line. I don't know, how the SM 2.0 will be listed there. I think the vs_2* and ps_2* is the right info?

But for production later this would mean, that you should check if the graphiccard of the user is able to use the SM 2.0. Otherwise you should use a alternative Sky? Or is there no way to check this?
User avatar
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: Albacete - Spain
x 87

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Xavyiy »

@grubi
The fact is that even your card supports SM 2.0, their support is poor, which means that you'll be able to run some shaders, but not all of them.

P.D.: I'm an old Intel chipset owner, my advice is switch to nvidia/ati as fast as you have the possibilitie.
Sheen
Halfling
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
x 1

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by Sheen »

@Xavyiy
Hi,
Sorry, but I've forgotten to write here, that SkyX now works perfectly in my multi-monitor system. For the first I've updated Ogre to trunk version, but nothing had happened, I've even got some strange fps fall when my hi-meshes showed (from standard 60fps to about 0.0001 :shock: ). Then I looked at Ogre's log and found string saying something like "VSync in multi-device system in Windows XP is bad idea". I turned it off and all lags and strange behavior of clouds on one of devices have gone. So thank you again for this cool plugin.

And I've got one question to you:
Can you say what features you're going to add in the next SkyX releases? I just want to know should I implement such things like sunrise/sunset calculation, precipitation system and others or you will add them in the close future yourself and I can more concentrate on other features of my project.
hd_
Gnoblar
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by hd_ »

Code: Select all

void DataManager::_copy3DCellArraysData(Cell ***or, Cell ***dest, const int& nx, const int& ny, const int& nz)
I don't think you are supposed to name variables after keywords like that. MinGW certainly didn't like it.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by jacmoe »

What keywords ? "or" ?
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
hd_
Gnoblar
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]

Post by hd_ »

Yep. Looks like not all compilers enable the alternative operator names by default (http://www.cppreference.com/wiki/alternative_operators)

Mysteriously the precompiled examples run now. I get around 200-300fps, very snazzy.
Post Reply