Page 9 of 11

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 pm
by spookyboo
Hi, it does not work for me. Exception pop-up: The application has failes to start because its side-by-side configuratino is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details.

I installed the VC 2005 runtime, although I am using VC 2008 myself (on Windows 7), which maybe the cause. I haven't done a reboot yet. Reboot may fix it, but I'm not sure.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 pm
by Oogst
Thanks for the quick testing! I am getting that exact same error from more people. Seems like I am using the wrong version of VCredist. Could you try running this version? I heard from someone else that that fixed it for him:

http://ronimo.hku.nl/Joost/vcredist_x86.exe

Good thing I am testing this now, because this is pretty bad! :shock:

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 pm
by spacegaier
All fine on Win7 x64, although my anti virus software first removed your .EXE :) .

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 am
by EricB
[s]Same problems as above, though my installer hangs up on vs2005 redist(i have them anyway my game requires them, i also have vs2005 installed)

Error I'm getting is:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.[/s]

Solved, manually installed vs2005redist, works fine
Windows XP 64-Bit

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:52 am
by spookyboo
Works ok now. Looking good.

Small question. When I hit an object it displays a 'hit'. They are just rectangular shapes. First thing I thought was that some textures were missing. Deliberate?
Maybe spikes are better.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 am
by CoreDumped
Tested on Win XP GT8800. Works fine. However, the VS2005 redist installer(first link in post) hanged at 0%

Any plans on releasing this for iphone/ipad? Should work great with accelerometer

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:50 am
by Oogst
bronzebeard wrote:[s]Same problems as above, though my installer hangs up on vs2005 redist(i have them anyway my game requires them, i also have vs2005 installed)

Error I'm getting is:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.[/s]

Solved, manually installed vs2005redist, works fine
Windows XP 64-Bit
I do need to get my installer to work correctly. Which redist did you install to fix it? The one I linked?

CoreDumped wrote:Tested on Win XP GT8800. Works fine. However, the VS2005 redist installer(first link in post) hanged at 0%

Any plans on releasing this for iphone/ipad? Should work great with accelerometer
The vcredist is also in the installer, did it go okay in the installer?

I'm afraid it would actually not be so nice with an accelerometer, because you want extremely fast and precise controls to play this well. Acceleratometers are too fuzzy for a hardcore twitch game like this.

spookyboo wrote:Works ok now. Looking good.

Small question. When I hit an object it displays a 'hit'. They are just rectangular shapes. First thing I thought was that some textures were missing. Deliberate?
Maybe spikes are better.
Jups, that is a deliberate mix of black and white rectangles. If you think it looks ugly, just make sure you don't crash! ;)

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 am
by spacegaier
I just remembered a slight issue from yesterday: When you are on the part of the track where there is this dark red ground thing and you make huge turns around the obstacles, clipping starts = parts of the red area disappear and you see the green background.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 pm
by CoreDumped
Oogst wrote:The vcredist is also in the installer, did it go okay in the installer?
the installer version hanged. Didn't try the standalone redist. After the game installation completed, it automatically launched the redist and no progress there for a while. Had to press cancel. Since I already have vs2005 installed here, guess I didn't need it anyway.

Btw game looks great and is also fun to play :)

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:13 pm
by Oogst
Hmm, nasty, not like I can fix Microsoft's redist... :(

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:03 pm
by Ologon
Both the installer and the game worked fine here :) (Win 7 64bit)

Nice game, btw :wink:

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 pm
by mkultra333
My machine = 2GHz AMD dual core, XP SP3, Nvidia 7950GT with old drivers (163.71 forceware).

Installer ran fine, the 2005 redist was sometimes slow, but ran ok. Game ran fine and was quite fun, no graphical problems that I could see, good framerate.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:02 pm
by Oogst
Thanks for testing, folks! Image

I have updated the installer with some fixes, and I am still looking for new people to give it a try and let me know whether it works! :)

Proun installer test version.exe

Fixes:
-The game sometimes froze in the highscores screen. It shouldn't freeze anymore, although the highscores will still not work for these people.
-You can now restart the race from the pause menu.
-Vehicle glitched visually after 2 seconds, they shouldn't anymore.
-"3rd" instead of "3th". ;)

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 pm
by jorrit5477
Installer ran fine, connection test a bit slow. Game ran great.
Using Windows 7 32-bit, Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Nvidia 8800 GTX

Looking forward for the final result!

NB. Also read a very nice article on http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/06/new ... s_a_fe.php

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:37 am
by dudeabot
yay nice game ^^

ranking 13 right now =)

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:59 am
by scniton
This worked on wine 1.2.2 (kind of), I didn't try any prior versions of your test executables.
The vehicle either started as just a shadow, or went from "blob" to sphere to shadow only (i.e. while accelerating), and then slowing down / stopping / reversing did not make it appear as more than just a shadow again (during this time I could still see the others as spheres and/or blobs).
It ran at ~7 FPS average in game (low settings).
I would have tried it on my updated linux install but I didn't have wine installed there.

The disappearing act could also be a driver/software issue on my end, I can't know for sure.

EDIT:
I just finishing trying it on Windows 7, much better than under wine. :)
The performance was much better and it didn't have the invisibility issue I had under wine.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:34 am
by CoreDumped
Tested on my gaming rig (previous test was on office pc)

Specs: Win 7 x64, Intel i7 950, nVidia 480 GTX

With latest installer, get the following error after redist starts up:
Image

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 am
by Slappy
Installer from the very first posts did not work for me: I got MessageBox with Error: Could not write Circle*.mesh (some .mesh file I cannot remember it's name exactly)
Then Installer crashed.
Updated version is fine (without error) but installation of VC Redist is not Quiet and takes too long.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:47 pm
by Oogst
Hmm, those sound like issues with NSIS (the installer) and VCRedist. I don't think I have any control over these, so I don't think I can fix them.

As for the Circle*.mesh file, are you sure your harddisc is not full?

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:45 pm
by EricB
Oogst wrote:Hmm, those sound like issues with NSIS (the installer) and VCRedist. I don't think I have any control over these, so I don't think I can fix them.
If you do figure out what the issue is, please do tell, I have the same issue with my installer and vs2005redis :(

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 pm
by GantZ
same problem here, I can't install the redist (on win7 x64). Granted, I got some trouble with my vcredist configuration (got corrupted somehow). A good way to got rid of redist is to include the required DLL along with the game executable. Some game do that to avoid relying on winsxs configuration. I have tried it with vc 2008 and it work well, I suppose it's the same process for vc 2005.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:02 pm
by Oogst
Simply including the DLLs with the game doesn't work, I tried that before. There is some manifest file stuff or something like that that needs to be set up in the exactly correct way. On computers that won't run until vcredist is run, simply adding the DLLs won't actually fix the problem. Simply adding the DLLs worked in Visual Studio 6, though, but since 2005 it doesn't work anymore.

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 pm
by GantZ
Oogst wrote:There is some manifest file stuff or something like that that needs to be set up in the exactly correct way
with vc2008, I copied the content of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT" in my executable folder and it work, even on a computer where the redist is not installed. The correct manifest file is included in the visual studio redist folder. Now, I haven't try this with vc2005, so I don't know if it's specific to vc2008.

EDIT :

I checked the proun exe with ManifestView, and it depend of two different redist version, so xcopy won't work. Anyway, it work on my laptop (win7 x64), so I have been able to play it without trouble :)

Re: Proun - coming June 24th as Pay What You Want!

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:23 am
by chaosavy
installed ok, no problems. Ran well, fun game. Kind of a neat quality wanting me to beat the other high scores :)

XP SP3, Nvidia card

Re: Proun - OUT NOW!

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:15 am
by Oogst
I have just released Proun! It is Pay What You Want, so you can get it for any price from my website: http://www.proun-game.com

Here is the launch trailer:
[youtube]R9rZZhQpw7o[/youtube]

I hope you'll like the game! :) Let me know if there are any problems!

Ow, and the first track by a modder is already available on the Proun website. I hope more will come! 8)