Soon to come: Open source texture painter

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

Got it in fourth attempt. Sorry for alarming :oops:
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

Tentative Windows version ready.

http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/

Download 0.0.3 (and the media files). Unzip all files into the same directory.

Doubleclick on common/binaries/coccinella.exe and WAIT WHILE IT INDEXES (if the harddisk ain't thrashing around something is wrong). It's 40mb of images that are being thumbnailed.

I've added various DLL's but may still miss some.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Works OK. :)

Still getting that framebuffer incompleteness error, but I suspect that my nVidia gForce FX5200 card isn't cutting it. :wink:
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

Sorry jacmoe, seems to be it :( Mine works in Windows too without any framebuffer problems. That's the curse of GPU painting.

It may also be a problem that I'm only painting on half-float textures. Perhaps it would still work with traditional 8-bit textures...
EDIT: Framebuffer incomp. has nothing to do with GPU, so either it's the halffloats or some odd render-to-texture limitation.
User avatar
Dark
Halfling
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Dark »

U have our support (The Domination Studios Team) we would like to use your tool :) .

BTW Migth u ever want a tool to work on contact us we could use some custom tools.

Dark
Head of Productions
Image
Domination Studios, making the sh*t you gonna play!
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

Hello Mister Dark... I hope it proves useful to you. When it matures, you could mail me a wishlist, though I doubt it will be longer than mine! Some day, perhaps not far away, I aim at making dime-novel games "commercially" (i.e. 10 bucks per game :mrgreen:). But when it comes to tools, I'm quite determined to make it free stuff only.

Jacmoe and others. There's an 8-bit version here:

http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/insects/coccinella.exe

Replace the old file in common/binaries with this and try again.
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

Nope. :|
But now I can actually see the cube which I could not before. :wink:

Unfortunately, when I click on the canvas the app explodes with an unspecified NVOpenGLPbuffer error. :P
User avatar
BenO
Goblin
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:03 pm

Post by BenO »

it doesn't crash on my computer ^^ but it shows really strange things
when i move the cube :o
Benjamin RIGAUD
Software Engineer
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

By "really strange things" do you mean flicker? The GUI is drawn without a backbuffer and there is not yet a test to avoid drawing the background when something (the cube in the black universe) will be draw anyway. This results in flicker. If it becomes stranger than flicker, it's a bug.

Can you paint? The framebuffer incompleteness doesn't show up until you paint with the left mousebutton.
User avatar
Jerky
Orc Shaman
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Springville, Utah
Contact:

Post by Jerky »

Mine crashes as soon as I select a brush, or click anything for that matter. The window just closes. No error or anything. Is there a log file that I am missing? I am using windows btw on a 9700 Pro. More info when I get home.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
Image
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

Curiouser and curiouser?

Added here: http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/insects/coccinella.exe were more framebuffertests to pinpoint where it goes bad plus a catch (...) to make sure it doesn't die without a fight.

Please try, jacmoe and jerky
jfaust
Halfling
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:25 pm
Location: Menlo Park, CA

Post by jfaust »

Hey, I'm having the same problem. No cube shows up, and with the latest exe I get a "Error: Unknown exception!" dialog box as soon as I click in the painting window.
User avatar
Jerky
Orc Shaman
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:13 am
Location: Springville, Utah
Contact:

Post by Jerky »

I can see the brushes and textures, and select from them. However, same for me. As soon as I click to paint, I get "Unknown Exception" and it closes.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
Image
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

jfaust wrote:Hey, I'm having the same problem. No cube shows up, and with the latest exe I get a "Error: Unknown exception!" dialog box as soon as I click in the painting window.
Same here
Image
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

The last exe gives me an error: dialog box with a message in a strange language.. :wink:
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

I added my own msvcr71d.dll to the /common/binaries folder and zipped it all again:

http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/insects/ ... -0.0.3.zip

Remove all you ever downloaded, and replace with this new one. Skip the tips and textures for now. Gotta get the core program rollin'.

P.S. The default material shader now shows relief (=bump+parallax) and gloss maps too. Looks well.
Last edited by centipede on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

no, wait a sec...
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

Sorry, no, I did throw a local variable. Should be fixed now and ready to say a bit more. Same link as above two posts
@jacmoe: When the program stops, it should now show a MessageBox which may be hid behind the program - look in the taskbar. The message text is very important! If you try, please post it.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

centipede wrote:Sorry, no, I did throw a local variable. Should be fixed now and ready to say a bit more. Same link as above two posts
@jacmoe: When the program stops, it should now show a MessageBox which may be hid behind the program - look in the taskbar. The message text is very important! If you try, please post it.
Hm, now it gives this error:

"Coconilla has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvience"

Also, i don't see the squarebox anymore.
No logs are generated.
Image
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

ERROR wrote: combinertool::drawWet1... Framebuffer incompleteness error!: 36061
:|

I see the box, which is larger than it used to be, and I see the tools, which are clickable. :wink:
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

jacmoe wrote:
ERROR wrote: combinertool::drawWet1... Framebuffer incompleteness error!: 36061
:|

I see the box, which is larger than it used to be, and I see the tools, which are clickable. :wink:
That's the error i used to have before this update..
Image
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

I fail to see where you got that update - I downloaded http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/insects/ ... -0.0.3.zip from 6 posts up. :wink:
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

WARNING: Low quality test run: There seem to be some consensus on opengl.org and gpgpu.org that when using textures as rendertargets, they must have GL_NEAREST filtering (when used as targets, but this is just a quick test so they are nearest for reading too). Any differences?

http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/insects/coccinella.exe
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

No. :(
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Vinstrup, Denmark
Contact:

Post by centipede »

So far no clue. I firmly believe that your hardware can handle this, and that the problem lies elsewhere. Just hard to pinpoint when I can't reproduce the error back here.

I'm off tonight - got to get some sleep so I'm ready for a job interview tomorrow. Otherwise I end up asking them per reflex what graphicscard they have and if I can borrow their computers for five minutes :twisted:

Silly thought: You do have the latest drivers from nvidia/ati, right? There is a lot going on in OpenGL land these days, and a few months between versions can make a difference. We are having framebuffer-object problems and FBO only started to settle down for real during 2005.
Post Reply