ZeroGear: A kart-racing game using Ogre
- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
-
Murphy
- Greenskin
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
- Location: SF, California
- Contact:
:Dsinbad wrote:Looking great. When you're at the stage when you have some full-size 'finished' screenshots you want to show, there will be a place in the Featured Projects for you :)
Very cool. We will definitely take you up on that when we have some more content.
Thanks for the comments everyone! It is hard to say if the speed is right (it feels about right when you are controlling it) until we get some more karts in there. And we will be fixing the head twitching before the next video. I was too tired a couple nights ago to fix that :(
-
Tinnus
- Halfling
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:23 am
- x 4
I also think it needs a bit more speed, and it seemed too easy to control
But maybe that's just you being used to testing :p Another thing that would be good, in my opinion, is increasing the size of the car just a little.
Other than that, it's great! Can't wait until it's finished so I can play it :p
Other than that, it's great! Can't wait until it's finished so I can play it :p
-
Murphy
- Greenskin
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
- Location: SF, California
- Contact:
Isn't that the point though? Make the kart easy to control so the player can concentrate on playing the game and not on keeping the car under their control? This isn't meant to be a realistic driver :)Tinnus wrote:it seemed too easy to control :) But maybe that's just you being used to testing :p
You might be waiting a while to play it. This is in the pre-pre-Alpha stages.Tinnus wrote: Other than that, it's great! Can't wait until it's finished so I can play it :p
- mako
- Greenskin
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:16 pm
- Location: Brazil
hey how many polys (at average) those cars have?
just curiosity.
just curiosity.
some technologies issues http://www.joserodolfo.com
-
Murphy
- Greenskin
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
- Location: SF, California
- Contact:
- mako
- Greenskin
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:16 pm
- Location: Brazil
- theatrus
- Silver Sponsor

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 5:29 am
- Location: Folsom, California
- Contact:
-
Murphy
- Greenskin
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
- Location: SF, California
- Contact:
- theatrus
- Silver Sponsor

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 5:29 am
- Location: Folsom, California
- Contact:
Well you had me fooled at first, but now that you mention it I can see the lack of lightmaps. The look and feel of the map is great thoughMurphy wrote:It is actually just vertex colored. We haven't decided for sure what we are going to do about lighting but I think vertex colors look pretty good overall for the map. We have stencil shadows on the karts now that looks pretty good.theatrus wrote:I assume you're using a baked lightmap for it?
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
My main background is as an environment artist, and I learned about vertex lighting levels on a game I worked on for the ps2. I am trying to shoot towards making sure that all the environments are low poly enough that all we will ever have to do is simply render it, without the aid of lod's or stuff like that. Keeping the environment pipeline that simple will go a long ways towards lightening my workload and will allow me to also be working on everything else that needs to get done art-wise.
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
Just put up a blog entry about using cubic environment mapping to simulate rim lighting:
http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2008/02/r ... athon.html
also includes some new screenshots / wallpapers



http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2008/02/r ... athon.html
also includes some new screenshots / wallpapers



Last edited by marshmonkey on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ajs15822
- OGRE Expert User

- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 am
- Location: Texas
- x 2
- Contact:
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
- oddrose
- Orc
- Posts: 470
- Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:08 pm
- Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
- Contact:
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
-
dudeabot
- Gnome
- Posts: 334
- Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:12 pm
- Location: Brazil
- x 5
- Contact:
-
Murphy
- Greenskin
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
- Location: SF, California
- Contact:
I posted on the blog about our GUI system. It is related to MVC using C++, Navi, and Lua. It might be interesting to some people here...
http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2008/02/m ... i-ftw.html
http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2008/02/m ... i-ftw.html
-
day_armstrong
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 am
- Location: Singapore
-
Murphy
- Greenskin
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
- Location: SF, California
- Contact:
-
marshmonkey
- Goblin
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am
made an extensive blog update about the character http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2008/02/r ... l-and.html
mostly just explaining the process that went into creating and animating it.
I also made a fun render of it posed in a little scene, I made it really high resolution so maybe I will find a place online to print me out a couple for fun.

small rez
medium rez
large rez
mostly just explaining the process that went into creating and animating it.
I also made a fun render of it posed in a little scene, I made it really high resolution so maybe I will find a place online to print me out a couple for fun.
small rez
medium rez
large rez





