Page 2 of 2
Re: Google Wave
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:02 am
by syd
with google, you always have to wonder in which extends the content is going to be profitable to them...
Re: Google Wave
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:42 am
by BTolputt
I wasn't going to say anything, but CABAListic pretty much spoke my mind.
I think the problem with Wave was the very fact it was a web-browser application. You needed to have the web-browser up and running to receive messages in real-time. Other than that, for all the widgety goodness they tried packing into it, Wave was simply a more complex email type tool.
If there had been a standalone application that sat in your status bar an binged whenever a new Wave came in or an update to a flagged Wave came was finished - it might have been another story. Skype is, for me, an absolutely awesome tool. It would still be pretty awesome as a web-browser app... but I'd probably not use it. The very fact it sits in my system tray, asks me if I want to answer a call, and just shows the number of messages waiting for me until I get around to it is great.
Wave was a nice simple concept, but they tried to leverage it to as a method of keeping people in the browser. If Google had made it a desktop widget rather than just another cool-yet-complex website; I reckon we would be talking about another ending for the technology. A better ending.