Page 2 of 5
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:11 am
by DragonM
Very nice. A good start on realistic underwater rendering. Can't wait to see underwater caustics. Add god rays and suspended particles and you'll really have something. Hope you have time for those after you work out the issues with the surface. Looking forward to the code release. Kudos granted.
DM
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 am
by Brutal
This looks fantastic. Been about a month since the last reply from the author. Still plans on releasing it?
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 pm
by lingfors
Brutal wrote:This looks fantastic. Been about a month since the last reply from the author. Still plans on releasing it?
Yes. But after I implemented true water geometry, and it turned out to look like s**t, I haven't really worked that much on it... Also, I have a lot of school work right now.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:04 am
by DanielSefton
lingfors wrote:Yes. But after I implemented true water geometry, and it turned out to look like s**t, I haven't really worked that much on it... Also, I have a lot of school work right now.
In your first video the water looks awesome.
Are you sure it's necessary to add water geometry? I mean, the ogre community has Hydrax for that. What we don't have is a nice solution for plane water for lakes and such.

Re: OgreWater
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:56 am
by thebluefish
I too, would be interested in seeing your solution for plane water. My game currently implements a very early design for geometry water, but with my limited knowledge of shaders, it is taking me a while to build each step (where's a shader artist when you need one

). I am quite interested in seeing how your plane water works to hopefully get a better solution for the smaller bodies of water that my game currently uses.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 am
by so0os
+1 for plane water!
Guys are right, Hydrax is a tough business, be yours a lightweight counterpart!
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 am
by SamJ
If the problem is that you just don't have time to clean up the code, why don't you just throw the relevant files in a zip and be done with it, even if it doesn't run? I volunteer to clean it up.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:25 am
by SamJ
OK, since it's obvious OP doesn't want to share the code (which I respect) does anybody know of anything similar or articles on how to achieve the same effect?
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 am
by dragutux
SamJ wrote:OK, since it's obvious OP doesn't want to share the code (which I respect) does anybody know of anything similar or articles on how to achieve the same effect?
hold your horses buddy, lingfors did clearly state that the code will (probably) be released after the project is done for.
so pm him, i'll try to get an official answer in msn from him.
Meanwhile, do not hijack the topic please

Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:00 pm
by SamJ
dragutux wrote:SamJ wrote:OK, since it's obvious OP doesn't want to share the code (which I respect) does anybody know of anything similar or articles on how to achieve the same effect?
hold your horses buddy, lingfors did clearly state that the code will (probably) be released after the project is done for.
so pm him, i'll try to get an official answer in msn from him.
Meanwhile, do not hijack the topic please

Hey, it's been 7 days, did you get an answer from him? As I said I really respect his decision, some courses in college may be competitive and he has a legitimate reason to not share.
I just thought it was silly to create another thread just to ask: "hey, how do you do lingfors water?" and then link to this thread.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm
by lingfors
SamJ wrote:dragutux wrote:SamJ wrote:OK, since it's obvious OP doesn't want to share the code (which I respect) does anybody know of anything similar or articles on how to achieve the same effect?
hold your horses buddy, lingfors did clearly state that the code will (probably) be released after the project is done for.
so pm him, i'll try to get an official answer in msn from him.
Meanwhile, do not hijack the topic please

Hey, it's been 7 days, did you get an answer from him? As I said I really respect his decision, some courses in college may be competitive and he has a legitimate reason to not share.
I just thought it was silly to create another thread just to ask: "hey, how do you do lingfors water?" and then link to this thread.
At the moment, the water is just a simple plane. No real geometry yet, in other words, although I plan to try to implement that too.
For each frame, I render 4 textures: A refraction texture (everything underneath the water plane), a refraction depth texture (distance from camera for everything underneath the water plane), a reflection texture (everything above the water plane rendered from a camera that is placed at the "reflected" camera position) and a reflection depth texture.
Then it's simply a matter of doing texture lookups using the screen coordinates as texture coordinates. Combine this with some normal map magic, and you get specular highlights and "distorted" reflections/refractions.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 am
by SamJ
lingfors wrote:SamJ wrote:dragutux wrote:
hold your horses buddy, lingfors did clearly state that the code will (probably) be released after the project is done for.
so pm him, i'll try to get an official answer in msn from him.
Meanwhile, do not hijack the topic please

Hey, it's been 7 days, did you get an answer from him? As I said I really respect his decision, some courses in college may be competitive and he has a legitimate reason to not share.
I just thought it was silly to create another thread just to ask: "hey, how do you do lingfors water?" and then link to this thread.
At the moment, the water is just a simple plane. No real geometry yet, in other words, although I plan to try to implement that too.
For each frame, I render 4 textures: A refraction texture (everything underneath the water plane), a refraction depth texture (distance from camera for everything underneath the water plane), a reflection texture (everything above the water plane rendered from a camera that is placed at the "reflected" camera position) and a reflection depth texture.
Then it's simply a matter of doing texture lookups using the screen coordinates as texture coordinates. Combine this with some normal map magic, and you get specular highlights and "distorted" reflections/refractions.
I had read that. My original request was for something more detailed, i.e: another example that actually has code available or some article. None of what you described there tells me how to get started to do it in Ogre.
SamJ wrote:OK, since it's obvious OP doesn't want to share the code (which I respect) does anybody know of anything similar or articles on how to achieve the same effect? none of what you
But never mind.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 am
by lingfors
SamJ wrote:
I had read that. My original request was for something more detailed, i.e: another example that actually has code available or some article. None of what you described there tells me how to get started to do it in Ogre.
It's more info than I had before I did it...
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 am
by dragutux
SamJ wrote:
snipp of the whole thing.
I specifically asked you to not hijack !
If i didn't post there was reasons! can't you wait ?
Some moderator please come and clean the thread out of Samj massive hijacking please.
And sam : WAIT DAMNIT!
code will be released
eventually making an ass out of yourself isn't going to help
the coder feels like to want it; it's not something he promised and you can wait a little.
Hell he even worked his ass to give me an original version of OgrePlanet code which was lost !
and i do not have access to the water code even if i am speaking to him directly on a regular basis.
so SERIOUSLY: WAIT !
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 pm
by Jabberwocky
About the skirt graphical artifact problem, you can set the length of the skirts, so they're as short as possible to help minimize the problem. Of course, if you go too short, you'll start seeing cracks in your terrain. This will also be affected by the max pixel error setting on the terrain.
----
Regarding SamJ - I think people are being a little hard on him. Here's the situation: he needs good water for his project. He sees a post where somebody shows off some cool water tech, which would solve all his problems. Even better, the original post suggests the code will be shared. So SamJ, while attempting to be patient, still must eventually make a decision whether to wait or not, because otherwise he must pursue another solution. He may have personal or professional deadlines, and in either case waiting indefinitely isn't an option.
SamJ is not demanding that lingfors release the code. He has been quite polite, respecting lingfor's decision not to release the code if that's what he chooses to do. He is just hoping for some clarification on when or if the code will be released at all. Even if the answer was "I plan to release this tech, but not for a really long time", or "I may never release this tech", that would help him make a decision on whether to wait or not.
Even though lingfors has, in a very general way, been kind enough to describe how he achieved this tech, it's still using some pretty complex graphical techniques that are beyond most people's skill level with Ogre.
When people want to use your cool tech, especially tech you say you will share, it should really be a compliment. SamJ's question, especially as polite as it was, should not have been met with hostility.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm
by jacmoe
Can't agree with Jabberwocky more.

Re: OgreWater
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 am
by thebluefish
SamJ, I do believe the effects he uses is used in Hydrax as well, you should be able to figure out how to achieve the same effect if you dig around there.
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I am working on my own plane water implementation due to Hydrax being a performance hog. Hopefully we'll see a release before I make any breakthroughs, the original result looks beautiful

Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:34 am
by CrimsonGT
Yeah, when I think of Hydrax I picture one of those bloated little fat kids walking out of McDonalds munching on a Big Mac. This could very well be the hot chick eating a salad

Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:28 am
by SamJ
Hi again guys. May I ask (politely) if there are any plans to release this after all? I ended up using the ogre ocean shader in my project and it looks OK, I'm curious if this will be released because I would still like to use it. I know in 6 months I could have just done it myself, but there's always something more important to do than water
It's cool if you don't release it, I just would like to know your intentions if you are still around, I'm sure others do too.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:48 pm
by hvalola
hi guys
i'm also looking at creating water simulation but i need to know where to begin
i mean simply hello world of water simulation.I'm trying to implement it using ogre
(Hydrax is too complicated to begin with)
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm
by Tytanis
The first video was kind of generic to me but the second...wow. Kudos to you Jabberwocky, it's insanely beautiful.
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 am
by lingfors
Tytanis wrote:The first video was kind of generic to me but the second...wow. Kudos to you Jabberwocky, it's insanely beautiful.
Are you posting in the wrong thread, or just praising the wrong person?

Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 pm
by jacmoe
lingfors wrote:Are you posting in the wrong thread, or just praising the wrong person?

I actually deactivated him for that, but he asked us to be reactivated..
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:21 pm
by Tytanis
lingfors wrote:Tytanis wrote:The first video was kind of generic to me but the second...wow. Kudos to you Jabberwocky, it's insanely beautiful.
Are you posting in the wrong thread, or just praising the wrong person?

Oh, I'm so sorry lingfors. I was very, very tired when I came across this post. My three toddlers had me up all night because they were sick. Sending kudos your way!
And also, may we see a fish in the water that rolls with the wave? Would be neat!
Tyler
Re: OgreWater
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:13 am
by lingfors
Tytanis wrote:
Oh, I'm so sorry lingfors. I was very, very tired when I came across this post. My three toddlers had me up all night because they were sick. Sending kudos your way!
And also, may we see a fish in the water that rolls with the wave? Would be neat!
Tyler
Haha, no worries.
I'll see what I can do about the fishes when I have time to work on this.