Page 11 of 22
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 am
by archangel92
does it work with ogre 1.7? i have an expression ms_Singleton in the demo at this code:
Code: Select all
mMesh = Ogre::MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual("SkyXMesh",
SKYX_RESOURCE_GROUP);
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:28 pm
by boyamer
Looking forward to 0.2,curiosity,have you implemented CG shader support?
As always,great work Xavy
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:48 pm
by compvis
@Xavier Verguín González: Very nice !
More pics at
http://modclub.rigsofrods.com/xavi/SkyX/News/
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm
by crazydog
WoW
Amazing work...
I think im gonna download it and use it in my project... its great!!!!
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 pm
by Xavyiy
@boyamer
No, I haven't implemented CG support yet, I'll port it to CG just some days before releasing the 0.2 version. (To have both, HLSL and CG, shaders)
@compvis & crazydog
Thanks =)
-----------------------------
I've finished my university exams last saturday, so now.. I'm back =)
During the following months I'll work on the Paradise Engine and SkyX, I'll keep you updated!
Xavi
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:42 am
by trilobite
I've finished my university exams last saturday, so now.. I'm back =)
During the following months I'll work on the Paradise Engine and SkyX, I'll keep you updated!
This is very good news.
I look forward to your updates.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:15 am
by boyamer
Good news indeed,well i think release will be soon then

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:35 pm
by Zeal
Really great stuff! Just curious, have you played around with gpu ray marching at all? I implemented volumetric clouds a few months ago, and had decent results using gpu ray marching (as described in GPU gems 3). The nice thing is, it solves two huge problems with your current geometry based approach...
1.) Fill rate problems can be minimized thanks to early ray termination (since you render the clouds front to back). Sure this requires sm3.0, but lets be honest, if youre using a advanced technique like volumetric clouds, your game isnt really intended for lower end platforms.
and
2.) Since you can jitter the ray starting points, its easier to avoid banding problems (as can be seen with your method when you dont have enough geometry slices).
Anyway I never got around to finishing my clouds (was never able to get the lighting and front to back blending to look right), but I really think if you combined gpu ray marching with lower resolution off screen rendering (another technique described in gpu gems 3) you could get some VERY good performance.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 pm
by boyamer
When is new version plan to be released Xavyiy ?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm
by al2950
When is new version plan to be released Xavyiy ?
Xavyiy has said he will be releasing a new version this month, but he was not any more specific. I would think he is planning to release something by the end of the month if not first thing in March.
**EDIT** I should really not try and speak for Xavyiy, as i have no idea what his plans are!!!!
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 am
by ndoxx
Hi Xavyiy,
Great work, I have been able to integrate it with my project, but there are some problem that i want to ask you:
1. Moon is vanishing with camera movement. Camera movement cause moon to be vanished, this problem is similiar to the problem scaryimp reported.
2. Debug mode crashed at mSkyX->create(). mSkyX->create calls Ogre MeshManager::Create manual mesh , with parameter name string. This string turns out to be bad pointer.
Thanks again for your great work.
Regards,
Ndoxx.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 am
by boyamer
Any news here? when its SkyX 0.2 planned to be released?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:36 pm
by Xavyiy
Hi all and sorry for being absented during these last weeks.
At the moment I'm working on the Paradise Engine -and some library/tools for it- and its web portal -at really, the Paradise Studios website- so I haven't so much time at the moment. But don't worry, in some months I've planed to work a lot on new Hydrax and SkyX -major- versions, and I have some really good ideas to work on -like full micro-threading support, more realistic modules for Hydrax, multicamera support for both plugins, better volumetric clouds in SkyX, etc- since the Paradise Engine and our planned demos will extensively use Hydrax and SkyX =)
@ndoxx
About the first problem yes, SkyX bug, I've fixed it some months ago

About the second one, no idea... but it seems a minor bug or a bad compiler/debugger configuration.
@Zeal
I've heard before about offline volumetric clouds rendering using GPU ray marching, but never in realtime. Maybe a simplier real-time implementation is possible and even a good combination of these techniques could be faster in newer GPUs. I'll look into this in a future and post my thoughts =)
@boyamer
I can't give you a reliable date, but I'll try to work on it as soon as possible.
Xavier
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 pm
by Jack000
thanks for the plugin, it looks awesome!
Has anyone got it working with 1.7? I'm trying to use it with my svn build of 1.7, but at runtime it says "The program can't start because OgreMain.dll is missing from your computer". This is despite the fact that I've built ogre and skyx using debug mode, and have set OgreMain_d instead of OgreMain throughout...
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:49 am
by ndoxx
Hi Xavyiy,
Thanks for your info, I downloaded the source that gave me flickering moon from the link you gave in page one. Is there a newer version that i can download?
Thanks.
Ndoxx
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm
by Jonan
Has anyone translated the shaders to glsl or cg?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm
by losetear
@ndoxx
Hi, ndoxx. i have the same problem with you second question : 2. Debug mode crashed at mSkyX->create(). mSkyX->create calls Ogre MeshManager::Create manual mesh , with parameter name string. This string turns out to be bad pointer..
But now i solved it by mundh's replay. this is his solution:
set the runtime library at C/C++ tab as 'Multiple thread debug dll' not 'Multiple thread dll' when you build 'SkyX_d.dll'.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:18 pm
by ndoxx
Losetear, Thank your very much, you saved me!!!
One more question, i use splatting shader for my terrain, so when i use skyx fog here i got trouble in blending the two shader pass, the result is that i got funny flickering terrain as the result, i have try many SBT, but none work as expected.
Regards,
Ndoxx
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:56 pm
by losetear
Dear all, i have a problem need help, this troubled me many days, when i add SkyX in my project, and move my camera, the screen has been split by black geometry. i really want to know the reason . there are some Screenshots, hope helps.

code is below
Code: Select all
//Create Camera
mCamera = mSceneMgr->createCamera( "PlayCamera" );
mCamera->setFarClipDistance(30000);
mCamera->setNearClipDistance(20);
mCamera->setPosition(20000, 500, 20000);
mCamera->setDirection(1, 0, 0);
mViewport = mRoot->getAutoCreatedWindow()->addViewport( mCamera );
// Create SkyX
mSkyX = new SkyX::SkyX(mSceneMgr, mCamera);
mSkyX->create();
// Add our ground atmospheric scattering pass to terrain material
mSkyX->getGPUManager()->addGroundPass(
static_cast<Ogre::MaterialPtr>(Ogre::MaterialManager::getSingleton().
getByName("Island"))->getTechnique(0)->createPass(), 5000, Ogre::SBT_TRANSPARENT_COLOUR);
// Add a basic cloud layer
mSkyX->getCloudsManager()->add(SkyX::CloudLayer::Options(/* Default options */));
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Update code in frameRenderingQueued
moveCamera();
mSkyX->setTimeMultiplier(0.1f);
mSkyX->update(e.timeSinceLastFrame);
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 pm
by Xavyiy
@ndoxx
Hi!, Unfortuantely the next version is not yet ready. I'll add a lot of new features so I can announce a reliable ETA for the next version, but I'll be worth!
About your flickering issue, try to minimice your camera's far clip plane distance (or/and set a bigger near clip plane distance) because it seems to be a z-precission problem.
@Jonan
As far as I know, not yet. (Anyway in the case that the waiting time is not a matter, I'll do it in the future, hope for the 0.2 version)
@losetear
Do you get the same problem with the precompiled SkyX demo?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:50 am
by compvis
@losetear: try to set
mCamera->setFarClipDistance(90000*6);
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:51 pm
by losetear
@compvis
Thanks for you help, i found the cause of the problem are try to set mCamera->setNearClipDistance(0.1f). When i set mCamera->setNearClipDistance(1.0f), the problem was disappeared, may be this is a bug?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 am
by Superfeesh
this plugin is really cool
so, i tried to put it in my project, but i get an error when I try to create SkyX with skyx->create(). 'skyx' is my SkyX object.
In debug it brought me to this:
Code: Select all
MeshManager.cpp (starting at line 88)
// Create mesh and submesh
mMesh = Ogre::MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual("SkyXMesh",
SKYX_RESOURCE_GROUP);
mSubMesh = mMesh->createSubMesh();
i've built and linked to the SkyX lib and made sure that the SkyX dlls are with the program.. what am I doing wrong?

Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 am
by ndoxx
Hi,
Your problem could be the same with mine. Look solution posted by losetear above
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:58 pm
by Superfeesh
thanks ndoxx! i must have overlooked that before.
Fixed the problem by making sure my debug version of SkyX was called SkyX_d.lib/SkyX_d.dll, that it was using OgreMain_d.lib, and that it was set to multi threaded debug run time. so now it works! yay
