Page 17 of 22
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 am
by so0os
LBDude wrote:Does it crash on anyone in debug mode in SkyX::MeshManager::create() under Ogre 1.8? SkyX works for me in release mode. I've been developing in release mode for awhile now today finally went back to debug mode (so the build can be faster).
Crashes on Resource on a call to memcpy during xstring.
Unresolved, ifdefs are the way to go.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:14 pm
by LBDude
you mean the bug is unresolved? What do you mean by #ifdefs? You have a workaround using #ifdefs? Post the code?
I will just go back to release mode but with debug enabled and optimization off. I will try to resolve this for a few more hours though.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:40 pm
by Stinkfist
LBDude wrote:Does it crash on anyone in debug mode in SkyX::MeshManager::create() under Ogre 1.8? SkyX works for me in release mode. I've been developing in release mode for awhile now today finally went back to debug mode (so the build can be faster).
Crashes on Resource on a call to memcpy during xstring.
Hi. IIRC I had this same crash (older OGRE version tho) on VS2008 and it was caused by erroneous project file: the debug build is configured to link to OgreMain.lib instead of OgreMain_d.lib. Fix this and debug build should work.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:00 pm
by LBDude
that's weird I'm pretty sure I have it on OgreMain_d.lib. Okay thanks i will double check.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:33 am
by Thoran
I have the same problem with the SkyX library. I can run it in the SkyXDemo in release mode. However when I am switching to debug mode it crashes upon creation of the MeshManager. It causes some problem with STL::string in the OgreMain library. Yet I was not able to debug through the Ogre lib as the SDK does not provide debug symbols for the debug build under Windows (

Maybe for the SDK maintainer, it would be a good idea to include debug symbols into the SDK zip file).
I confirmed this problem with a second independent project where I integrated the SkyX plugin.
Edit: I also excluded the case of mixture of debug and release libraries, by checking with depends.
Thoran
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:23 pm
by so0os
SkyX just WON'T WORK in debug mode.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 pm
by LBDude
Maybe something to do with the version of Ogre we're using? I wonder what version Stinkfist is using... I thought maybe there are other issues with my project but since others are also having this exact same problem.... I will look into this more when I have time.
I'm using:
Ogre 1.8.0.
Visual Studios 2010 Express.
DirectX. (One of my shaders is HLSL only so I haven't touched OGL in awhile now).
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:36 pm
by Thoran
I resolved the issue with the crash in debug mode at the MeshManager. It seems to be the combination of compile and link settings between SkyX debug and Ogre debug. I did not resolve it in the accompanying solution, but rather created CMake files for the whole SkyX library and the demo 1. I am continuing now to also create the missing CMake file for SkyXDemo2. Once I am finished with that and if there is interest in the CMake files, I can provide them to public.
I will tell you when I am done.
Thoran
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:28 pm
by reigys
Hi,
I think I have solved this problem.
First, you need to make sure the debug build of Skyx Project is configured to link to OgreMain_d.lib instead of OgreMain.lib.
Second, change the debug runtimelibrary setting of SkyX Project from /MD to /MDd, then recompile this project.
Third, copy the SkyX.dll(maybe 204kB) to SkyX-v0.1\SkyXDemo\bin\debug.
Fourth, change the debug runtimelibrary setting of SkyXDemo from /MD to /MDd(maybe you also need to change the commandline or other settings to avoid errors),then recompile this project.
Now, the SkyXdemo can run in debug mode.
Last, I am sorry for my poor English.
PS: I am using Ogre1.7.1 and VS2005.
Best wishes~~
reigys
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 pm
by Thoran
As promised find attached a zip archive that contains CMake files for SkyX. You just need to unzip over an existing SkyX directory. I also patched the Prerequisite.h file to introduce a #define in case of a static compile of the SkyX library. I also added automatic configuration of *.cfg files through CMake. When you create the install target you can directly execute the demos from there ( as normal with cmake). If you want to copy the install target to other machines, keep in mind that the paths in the *.cfgs are preconfigured by CMake to your compile environment. This is due to the fact that I found no easy way configuring them using relative paths and therefore used absolute paths to point to the media folder. However the media folder is copied over to the install target dir. So on other machines just adapt the path in resource.cfg and resource_d.cfg respectively. There is an option in the cmake script that also allows you to copy over Ogre dependencies DLLs and plugins into the install target for a ready to go version (tested and working). In principal it should also be possible to compile under linux with cmake, however this doesn't seem to make sense considering the shaders of SkyX being written in HLSL.
I hope someone finds this useful. Maybe Xavyiy wants to integrate my contribution into the offical download. If so feel free to do so.
Thoran
P.S.: The find modules of the CMake script expect an environment variable OGRE_HOME to be set to a directory where the "include", "lib" and "boost_xxx" are located. Also it expects a OIS_HOME environment variable that points to a directory containing "include" and "lib" for OIS, as I am using a self-compiled static version of OIS. Therefore the script lets you choose on linking to a static or dynamic OIS.
P.S.: I recently updated the zip to also allow copying of the include files to the in stall target, so you can reference the install target as a nice dependency directory.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:25 pm
by Thoran
Using SkyX for the first time I stumbled across a problem, when displaying volume clouds (atmosphere rendering itself is ok). When I look up straight to the sky, I have the following artefacts (see screen).
My question is if anyone else has observed a similar problem and can point me in a direction where to start debugging.
Thanks in advance.
Thoran
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:20 pm
by Stinkfist
reigys wrote:Hi,
I think I have solved this problem.
First, you need to make sure the debug build of Skyx Project is configured to link to OgreMain_d.lib instead of OgreMain.lib.
Second, change the debug runtimelibrary setting of SkyX Project from /MD to /MDd, then recompile this project.
Third, copy the SkyX.dll(maybe 204kB) to SkyX-v0.1\SkyXDemo\bin\debug.
Fourth, change the debug runtimelibrary setting of SkyXDemo from /MD to /MDd(maybe you also need to change the commandline or other settings to avoid errors),then recompile this project.
Now, the SkyXdemo can run in debug mode.
Last, I am sorry for my poor English.
PS: I am using Ogre1.7.1 and VS2005.
Best wishes~~
reigys
Hi. I think you have pretty much nailed it down. It's been a while since I compiled SkyX but all of these steps seem pretty familiar if my memory servers correct. Also, if building with VS2008 or 2010 you might need to change more linker flags, but VS should give error/warning about these so they're pretty easy to spot.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 pm
by Xavyiy
@Thoran
Thanks for the new project files =) I'll include your contributions in the next release!
About your problem, for me... it seems to be something related with z-precission, so.. try to re-adjust your camera near/far clip distances! (Bigger near clip distance / little far clip distance)
Xavi
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:17 pm
by Thoran
Thanks, Xavyiy for your help, I will have a look into it.
Xavyiy wrote:@Thoran
Thanks for the new project files =) I'll include your contributions in the next release!
You are welcome. If you have any problem with the CMake files, please let me know, either here or through PM, I am glad to help.
Thoran
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:02 pm
by dudeabot
xavyi when is the next release?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 pm
by Jason Rogers
dudeabot wrote:xavyi when is the next release?
I think many of us are anxious to see the next update/release, but im guessing Xavyiy is putting a lot of effort into the "Paradise Engine" which is aimed at being completed/released next month (if you check Xavyiy's sig)

so i guess any further tweaks and fix's will be revealed when that arrives..
..but some screenies of anything new would be great
Go-go Gadget Xavyiy! Your work is awesome.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 pm
by Xavyiy
@dudeabot
The next release date isn't yet fixed since I'll start to integrate - and, obviously adding a bunch of new features, including the wanted Hydrax optimizations - SkyX and Hydrax in Paradise Engine after the official announcement, in December.
@Jason Rogers
You're right =), currently I'm putting all my efforts on the Paradise Engine, I'm trying to do it the better I can, even if the development rate isn't very fast due to the needed hard work because of the polished-ending of all finished parts.
Just for some more info, I want to make the official announce the last December week, maybe on Monday 27.
Xavyiy
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 pm
by Sieben
Thoran wrote:Using SkyX for the first time I stumbled across a problem, when displaying volume clouds (atmosphere rendering itself is ok). When I look up straight to the sky, I have the following artefacts (see screen).
My question is if anyone else has observed a similar problem and can point me in a direction where to start debugging.
Thanks in advance.
Thoran
I had to delete the farclipdistance to get rid of the artifacts. Is there a way to avoid that?
infinite far clip distance is not working
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 am
by savox
Hi Xavyiy,
I am using SkyX pluggin with great satisfaction. However, I'd to solve problem of moon disappearance on keyinput. I am currently working on a personal project that involves the use of SkyX as a standalone pluggin, and so I'll be happy if you could point me, or suggest, how to solve this issue.
Thanks anyway.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm
by nevarim
hi all
link corrupted only for me?
where i can find release?
Nevarim
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:50 am
by LBDude
nevarim wrote:hi all
link corrupted only for me?
where i can find release?
Nevarim
Look for Thorian's post on page 17, he has a download link to an updated SkyX version containing added Cmake files.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 pm
by Thoran
LBDude wrote:nevarim wrote:hi all
link corrupted only for me?
where i can find release?
Nevarim
Look for Thorian's post on page 17, he has a download link to an updated SkyX version containing added Cmake files.
Actually this is not quite correct, as my zip-archive, which you can find on this page a bit upwards, only contains a patch and requires the original SkyX zip-archive to be unzipped first. However you can find the download of SkyX a the following post in this thread
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 75#p405305
Thoran
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:59 pm
by Nomad
I'm getting a visual artefact when viewing volumetric clouds from below. Any ideas on what's causing this and possible solutions?
Thanks.
Here's how I init SkyX
Code: Select all
skyx = new SkyX::SkyX(in.sceneMgr, in.camera);
skyx->create();
skyx->getMoonManager()->setMoonSize(0.05);
skyx->setTimeMultiplier(1);
skyx->getVCloudsManager()->create();
SkyX 0.1, OGRE Cthuga, D3D9.
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 pm
by nevarim
there is a wiki tutorial for this product?
Re: SkyX plugin [SkyX 0.1 released! - Page 1]
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 pm
by Beauty
Currently there are only two wiki pages related SkyX:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/SkyX
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/SkyX+Wrapper+for+MOGRE
Anybody is welcome to put more information to these or a third wiki page.