First of all I would like to say thanks to all your good responses. Nice to hear them
I do not know about WxWidgets, so this could be a dumb question. Is there a gui editor in it? I know cegui has one. If so, the gui could be remedied, although it is workable at the moment.
Yes, there are some editors available.
AFAIK most commonly used is
CodeBlocks, but it is shareware and costs about 60$
Another commercial tool is
wxDesigner. It costs about 129$. I didn't tried it, but most likely it generates XRC like DialogBlocks.
Of course these tools can be used in development and I will take a look at wxDesigner today. But I also must say that it will be useful only for dialog windows because main window interface "generates" in run-time and have many plugin-depend places.
Maybe if you look into native look and feel - on Windows you link in a look'n'feel manifest to make it theme-aware.
Perhaps a look at the Chronos Editor could give you some ideas?
Yes, I see at it's screenshots at the moment %). It really feature-rich and well-designed project. I like material editor and material preview window, but I want them to be separated from MAGE (separate plugin or maybe separate tool, but I prefer plugin). Anyway, Chronos is good project which can aims development in correct way.
Is MAGE finished enough that it can be used outside your project? If so, I'll be happy to lend a hand with documentation -- our project is just about ready for level editing so the timing is propitious (and of course since I've turned into mainly a tools developer for us now, I'd be happy also to help development in whatever way I can).
Yes, I think now MAGE can be easily built and used in other project, but be ready to stroke Ctrl+S more often than usual
i was wondering this too. the OGE project, altho we have only just started it and is only in planning stage currently, we will need a level editor etc in the future, i was wondering if itll be easy to use/integrate for different engines
Hmmm. Do you mean game or rendering engine? If you speak about abstraction from rendering engine, I must say that now it is not possible, sorry.

It will be great feature, but we should abstract from every part of OGRE (scene graph, meshes, animations, materials and textures, resource management, etc). I thought about such feature, but did not decide to implement it. It is important subject for discussion.
I am a wxWidgets developer and I might be able drop a patch by from time to time if you get a SVN or CVS setup.
Yes, there is SVN repository located at svn://ogre3d.org.ru/mage/. I would like to setup something like Trac (a project management system used at Chronos site) - it will bring issue tracker, patch tracker and wiki.
One thing I am curious about is how cross platform is the method you are using to embed the Ogre window in the wxWidgets, and do you support mutiple view ports?
I think it is portable enought because I pass HWND using 'externalWindowHandle' param during createRenderWindow(). It works with both OpenGL and Direct3D without any changes.
Code: Select all
Ogre::NameValuePairList params;
params["externalWindowHandle"] = Ogre::StringConverter::toString((size_t)GetHandle());
mOgreRenderWindow = Ogre::Root::getSingleton().createRenderWindow("MageRenderWindow", size.GetWidth(), size.GetHeight(), false, ¶ms);
Multiple viewports is my todo list, but there is one nuance: we cannot implement viewports like separate RenderWindows because OpenGL rendering system doesn't support it (it can manage only one window at time). Multiple viewports should be implemented like separate OGRE's viewports in one rendering window. But I can be wrong, so correct me if I am

.
wxIFM is the most feature rich, but I don't know how well it works on linux and its creator is working on a wxWidgets competitor called OMGUI so I don't know how long it will be supported.
Hmm. I must look at this project. wxIFM, as mentioned in feature list, supports docking tabs, which is great ability I think.
Now I'm using wxAUI, but I didn't heard anything about wxIFM. wxAUI is simply to use and eye-candy, but docking tabs is great benefit. Another solution, as Game_Ender said, is using wxFlatNotebook. As I can understand, it supports drag-and-drop tab movement, yes?
I seems like the moment we all have been waiting for is arriving!
You right, man. Cheers
And, since MAGE is designed that way, it would be a matter of GOOF enable it by writing a plugin, am I right?
Absolutely. I have brief look at GOOF map editor discussion and can say that anything including physic simulation can be implemented in MAGE.
does MAGE require/force ogre to render into it? because i was thinking, if OGE does use it, at least for a first level editor (we havent actually discussed this yet), could we get our engine to render into it? it will be ogre, but it would be better if we could integrate our engine fully
if that makes sense?
As I said earlier, I didn't thought MAGE will need such functionality. But maybe it deserve development time because it already needed by 2 people.
I stand corrected. Now if only there was integration between wxFlatNotebook and wxAUI, so we could have full tab based layout functionality.
OK, I think it is way we go. wxFlatNotebook can be used not only in docking tabs functionality, but in some other places of UI.
I will make website in 2 or 3 days (I'm not owner of server where SVN is located) and think over all of resopnses and suggestions said here to make official roadmap. And I think that first of all we must "file off" current features before introducing new others.
rewinder.