ZeroGear: A kart-racing game using Ogre

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Post Reply
User avatar
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Texas
x 2
Contact:

Post by ajs15822 »

It's been incredibly fascinating watching your character modeling work progress over time. Your latest blog was quite informative-- sorta gives me the inspiration to try making my own models. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous art with us. :D
marshmonkey
Goblin
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

Post by marshmonkey »

starting to make some progress on a new character:

Image
http://NimbleBit.com <- purveyors of nimble bits
http://myZeroGear.com <- mah indie game
marshmonkey
Goblin
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

Post by marshmonkey »

unwrapped and AO bake base

texture painting time

Image
ImageImage
http://NimbleBit.com <- purveyors of nimble bits
http://myZeroGear.com <- mah indie game
User avatar
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:58 pm
Location: TLV, Israel
x 76

Post by Assaf Raman »

The screenshot reminds me of this article:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/b-cam/Papers/Kirk-2007-RTA/
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
marshmonkey
Goblin
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

Post by marshmonkey »

basic texture, still deciding how I want to divide up the coloring customization areas. On to rigging!

Image
http://NimbleBit.com <- purveyors of nimble bits
http://myZeroGear.com <- mah indie game
User avatar
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
x 3
Contact:

Post by CaseyB »

marshmonkey wrote:basic texture, still deciding how I want to divide up the coloring customization areas.
How do you do that? With some sort of mask?
Image
Image
Murphy
Greenskin
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: SF, California
Contact:

Post by Murphy »

CaseyB wrote:
marshmonkey wrote:basic texture, still deciding how I want to divide up the coloring customization areas.
How do you do that? With some sort of mask?
We "tag" any texture unit in a material with a color name. We then have a small function that will iterate through any entity, look to see if that entity has a texture with a specified tag and modify the color operation to use the new color in the texture.

See: http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2007/12/c ... video.html
And: http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2007/12/i ... color.html
User avatar
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
x 3
Contact:

Post by CaseyB »

Cool! Thanks for the links!
Image
Image
marshmonkey
Goblin
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

Post by marshmonkey »

set up the color layer stuff this morning and got him all set up in-engine

Image
http://NimbleBit.com <- purveyors of nimble bits
http://myZeroGear.com <- mah indie game
User avatar
chmod
Greenskin
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington USA

Post by chmod »

Hehe, the Iron Man one looks great.
Kerion
Goblin
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:49 am
Contact:

Post by Kerion »

Wow, more awesome work from you guys. I'm really enjoying watching your project come along, so please keep up the updates :)
marshmonkey
Goblin
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

Post by marshmonkey »

ok, I was up late last night making a new character poster

Robo Viking will pillage his way into your heart <3

Image

small rez

medium rez

large rez
http://NimbleBit.com <- purveyors of nimble bits
http://myZeroGear.com <- mah indie game
Aiursrage2k
Greenskin
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:40 pm

Post by Aiursrage2k »

Frutidia looks great!
User avatar
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Texas
x 2
Contact:

Post by ajs15822 »

Kick-ass~!! :D
MikeWhite
Gnoblar
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:22 am

Post by MikeWhite »

Very impressive!
marshmonkey
Goblin
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

Post by marshmonkey »

we had our lan party playtest last night, it went really well!

Brian has been working a ton of hours getting the networking portion of our game far along enough to have our first Zero Gear play test, which we hosted at a LAN party this weekend. It seemed to be a great success and everyone seemed to have a great time driving around their characters even if we didn't have any real race rules in place yet. I was able to grab a lot of footage and I pieced together a little video, click the image below:

Image

Here are a few action photos of the Zero Gear party in progress, it was great to see people having fun!

Image

Image

Image
http://NimbleBit.com <- purveyors of nimble bits
http://myZeroGear.com <- mah indie game
User avatar
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: Canada
x 220
Contact:

Post by Jabberwocky »

That really looks like fantastic fun. :D
Image
Murphy
Greenskin
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: SF, California
Contact:

Post by Murphy »

Jabberwocky wrote:That really looks like fantastic fun. :D
It was! But it was also really hard to get everyone coordinated to get some of those shots.

Me: "Everyone line up next to me, I am the one with the pink cowboy hat."
Somebody else: "There are 3 people with a pink cowboy hat!"

But after about 2 hours we got all the shots we wanted. lol
User avatar
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Texas
x 2
Contact:

Post by ajs15822 »

Haha, it's more like battle-kart than racing (rofl, I love how the physics make it so easy to send a kart flying into the air). And there are so many cool kart customizations to choose from, wow!

The gameplay looks rockin', yall obviously had a ton of fun (heh, I hope there's gonna be a deathmatch mode). I'm excited to see that yall got creative with some of the tracks (the loop-de-loop and the flying-ramp-of-death). The racing itself looks pretty smooth now; the physics feel like the karts are sorta dinky, which fits with the overall design IMO.

Murphy: congratulations on getting ZeroGear networked, I know it wasn't a simple feat. Monkey: I just can't get over how absolutely gorgeous your work is @_@. To both: awesome awesome awesome, yall kick so many asses-- every time I hear from yall, I'm blown away (today was no exception!). Good work, good luck, and thanks for sharing!
Murphy
Greenskin
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: SF, California
Contact:

Post by Murphy »

ajs15822 wrote:I hope there's gonna be a deathmatch mode
We plan to have a open platform to add/mod game modes and maps. We are definitely concentrating on the racing mode but we will have a lot of other things (and hopefully a lot of user created content on top of that).
ajs15822 wrote:I'm excited to see that yall got creative with some of the tracks (the loop-de-loop and the flying-ramp-of-death)
The track with the loops and ramps is more of a test map. I was really happy to see the loop-de-loop work so well, Bullet FTW!
ajs15822 wrote:The racing itself looks pretty smooth now; the physics feel like the karts are sorta dinky, which fits with the overall design IMO.
They might be a bit dinky. We plan to have a lot of play testing soon enough to tweak that kind of stuff.
ajs15822 wrote:congratulations on getting ZeroGear networked, I know it wasn't a simple feat.
Thanks! I had planned from the beginning to support networking so it wasn't a horrible affair. I did most of the major networking code over one weekend (about 25 hours in all) and fixed bugs/added features over the next couple of weeks.
VictorMoran
Greenskin
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Post by VictorMoran »

wow, this looks very polish, and fun.
User avatar
lf3thn4d
Orc
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:12 pm
x 12

Post by lf3thn4d »

Wow. Impressive! :D
How did you get bullet networked? From my understanding, snapping bullet rigidbody in place requires some sort of clearing of contact points cache. That sounds freakingly expensive to do it like 20 times a frame :shock:. Besides, doing that makes things very non-deterministic I think. (All theory here. Haven't really tried out yet.)

Does zero gear has replay system as well? :P
User avatar
Toby
Halfling
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:14 am
Location: Caen
Contact:

Post by Toby »

great works indeed. My team and I are implementing network part of our game and is not easy. A shoot racing game in multiplayer mode.

Your graphic style is coherent. How many graphist work on this project? It is a very difficult task to uniformize all artworks, design.
Toby or not Toby

http://aubrun.thibaut.free.fr

Freelance software developper, perhaps ;)
Murphy
Greenskin
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: SF, California
Contact:

Post by Murphy »

lf3thn4d wrote:How did you get bullet networked? From my understanding, snapping bullet rigidbody in place requires some sort of clearing of contact points cache. That sounds freakingly expensive to do it like 20 times a frame :shock:. Besides, doing that makes things very non-deterministic I think
Does zero gear has replay system as well? :P
It is a lot more simple then all that. All of the physics are simulated server side. I then send physics updates (position + orientation) out at a regular tick rate (20 times a second, but that is tweakable). The client then gets this update and I use EPIC to smooth out the position on the client side. There is a bit more to it but that is the general idea.

We should be able to support a replay system. Right now it should be entirely deterministic. This will take some testing in the future.
Toby wrote:How many graphist work on this project?
Right now the team consists of me (programmer) and marsh (artist).
Post Reply