It was just a little constructive comment. No insult intended.tonyzahn wrote:Hmm... Now I can see why we don't get too many artists posting stuff... Eveyone's a critic.
Keep up the good work.
Roll Your Own Ogre
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
- Antiarc
- Greenskin
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:40 am
- Contact:
Well, I fear I'm not quite up to cstretten's level artistically, but the saber looked fun, so I did a quick little Wings version of it. Needs to be textured, and is a little high poly (1284 faces...most of that's in the handle. Could be cut down easily enough though - simplify the ring and grip.), but it's not too bad. If you wanted to use normal maps, you could probably eliminate over 800 polys or so from the model without any apparent loss in details.

Wings file is here. Consider it to be released under the LGPL (or its artistic equivalent) - use it for what you want, but make any improvements available to others, too.

Wings file is here. Consider it to be released under the LGPL (or its artistic equivalent) - use it for what you want, but make any improvements available to others, too.
-
cstretten
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:11 pm
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
Great work Antiarc! Thats a nice model. I've never used Wings 3d before... I've been a Max junkie since version 2.
KeaponLaffin- critisism is always appreciated to me. I never take offense to constructive critisism. The smallish head could be accounted for the "type" of character he is. Brutish.. evil... not prone to bouts of heavy thinking or introspection.
Or it's size could simply be accounted for in my drawing it too small... hehehe.
Anyway, thanks all for the positive responses! I'm moving ahead to modeling the high res character asap.
Peace,
Chris
KeaponLaffin- critisism is always appreciated to me. I never take offense to constructive critisism. The smallish head could be accounted for the "type" of character he is. Brutish.. evil... not prone to bouts of heavy thinking or introspection.
Or it's size could simply be accounted for in my drawing it too small... hehehe.
Anyway, thanks all for the positive responses! I'm moving ahead to modeling the high res character asap.
Peace,
Chris
The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between work and play, labor and leisure, mind and body.
He pursues his vision of excellence, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him he is always doing both.
He pursues his vision of excellence, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him he is always doing both.
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Well, I think that monsters with big heads tend to have really small brains - I speak out of experience ...
Anyway - would be truly great to see that Ogre come to life !
Anyway - would be truly great to see that Ogre come to life !
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- Flexman_UK
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:53 am
- Location: Leeds, UK
- Contact:
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
Big thick skulls with little inside.jacmoe wrote:Well, I think that monsters with big heads tend to have really small brains - I speak out of experience ...![]()
Anyway - would be truly great to see that Ogre come to life !
I would do an ogre too, but I have too much work as it is. (And I suck at modeling.
Anyway, good luck with the ogre cstretten. Can't wait to see it.
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
Either way, I'm sure it'll loke great. Anxiously waiting.cstretten wrote:Great work Antiarc! Thats a nice model. I've never used Wings 3d before... I've been a Max junkie since version 2.
KeaponLaffin- critisism is always appreciated to me. I never take offense to constructive critisism. The smallish head could be accounted for the "type" of character he is. Brutish.. evil... not prone to bouts of heavy thinking or introspection.![]()
Or it's size could simply be accounted for in my drawing it too small... hehehe.
Anyway, thanks all for the positive responses! I'm moving ahead to modeling the high res character asap.
Peace,
Chris
- Manuel
- Gremlin
- Posts: 193
- Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:35 pm
- Contact:
I don't know if there is a model of this one, but it would be great!
http://forum.psd.it/viewtopic.php?t=925 ... &start=110
just scroll a little the bar
http://forum.psd.it/viewtopic.php?t=925 ... &start=110
just scroll a little the bar
- psyclonist
- OGRE Expert User

- Posts: 286
- Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:54 pm
- Location: Berlin & Nuremberg, Germany
- x 1
- Contact:
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
WOW! Now that thing's ugly!Manuel wrote:I don't know if there is a model of this one, but it would be great!
http://forum.psd.it/viewtopic.php?t=925 ... &start=110
just scroll a little the bar
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
Okay, so I finally have something to show for myself. I too did a concept sketch and I posted it on my little angelfire site. I added color for effect, but the colors can always change. I figured if he was going to have a sword, it should look like he knows how to use it. Please note that I am not infering anything about anyone elses work, these are simply my thoughts when I began concieving my rendition of the ogre+sword idea. BTW, I really like the sword idea, I think it's a neat way to honor Sinbad.
So, I figure if he's going to be carrieing around a sword, it's going to be for a reason, and he's probably going to have experiance, so he's probably going to have a shield to go with it. I can take it away of course, that's just my thought on the matter. You can check it out here
Oh ya, I'll probaly add stuff, like arm bands, battle wounds, and maybe tatoo-like marks.
Please let me know what you think, and you may be brutaly honest, I won't take it personally.
[edit]
Oh ya, I almost forgot, I've started working on the mesh too. I'm also using wings--that is an excelent modeler imho. It's going to be a very high res resh at first, and then I can turn it down however much you might need. I'm going to have to either buy or find a texture mapping program though, because I have no way of doing that yet... I'll post when I have something worth looking at.
[/edit]
So, I figure if he's going to be carrieing around a sword, it's going to be for a reason, and he's probably going to have experiance, so he's probably going to have a shield to go with it. I can take it away of course, that's just my thought on the matter. You can check it out here
Oh ya, I'll probaly add stuff, like arm bands, battle wounds, and maybe tatoo-like marks.
Please let me know what you think, and you may be brutaly honest, I won't take it personally.
[edit]
Oh ya, I almost forgot, I've started working on the mesh too. I'm also using wings--that is an excelent modeler imho. It's going to be a very high res resh at first, and then I can turn it down however much you might need. I'm going to have to either buy or find a texture mapping program though, because I have no way of doing that yet... I'll post when I have something worth looking at.
[/edit]
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
I think the "hulkish" look you mention on your site is mostly due to the skin color.
And now my brutal comments.
I looked at the drawing for a few minutes thinking to my self that something about the head looks funny. Then it hit me, he doesn't seem to have any ears! If this is the look you where going for then feel free to ignore me.
I like your sword, it has the simplicity of a real world sword, unlike a lot of the fantasy blades that artists tend to produce. Same goes for the shield. (Not bashing anyone elses work
)
And now my brutal comments.
I looked at the drawing for a few minutes thinking to my self that something about the head looks funny. Then it hit me, he doesn't seem to have any ears! If this is the look you where going for then feel free to ignore me.
I like your sword, it has the simplicity of a real world sword, unlike a lot of the fantasy blades that artists tend to produce. Same goes for the shield. (Not bashing anyone elses work
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
your right. I forgot to put ears on him. LOL. Well I drew him at like five in the morning, maybe that has something to do with it. Like I said, I have started working on the 3D model, and fortunatly I didn't forget his ears this time.

[edit]
Oh ya, I know that he only has four toes (on each foot). That was intentional. I did that just to mix it up a little. I''m going to add some things to it here an' there tonight, but after that, I think I'm going to leave it alone and focus on the mesh. Can't wait to hear some more feedback, good or bad, let me have it!
[/edit]
[edit]
Oh ya, I know that he only has four toes (on each foot). That was intentional. I did that just to mix it up a little. I''m going to add some things to it here an' there tonight, but after that, I think I'm going to leave it alone and focus on the mesh. Can't wait to hear some more feedback, good or bad, let me have it!
[/edit]
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
The toes look fine to me.wavez wrote:Oh ya, I know that he only has four toes (on each foot). That was intentional. I did that just to mix it up a little. I''m going to add some things to it here an' there tonight, but after that, I think I'm going to leave it alone and focus on the mesh. Can't wait to hear some more feedback, good or bad, let me have it!
Nice concept art, can't wait to see the mesh.
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
ok, you wanted to see the mesh, so here it is. On one condition though: no critisizing. It is a work in progress and it may change a lot from now untill it's done. If you want to talk about the look of my ogre design, please refer to the concept art above the 3D screen shot. Thank you.
I appologize for the popups if you get them.
The 3D screen shot is at the bottom of this page.
Thanks
I'd like to restate that critisism of my idea here is welcom (the drawing, not the screen shot). Hopfully it would be constructive, but if you just flat out don't like my idea, then just say why. Like I said, I won't take it personally.
[edit]
tonyzahn: I liked your offer btw. I saw that you restated it in the 'ogre head history' thread and thought I should say that I'd like to win something from the ogre store
[/edit]
I appologize for the popups if you get them.
The 3D screen shot is at the bottom of this page.
Thanks
I'd like to restate that critisism of my idea here is welcom (the drawing, not the screen shot). Hopfully it would be constructive, but if you just flat out don't like my idea, then just say why. Like I said, I won't take it personally.
[edit]
tonyzahn: I liked your offer btw. I saw that you restated it in the 'ogre head history' thread and thought I should say that I'd like to win something from the ogre store
[/edit]
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Look good - just a comment: a bit more Neanderthal-ish head, please.
Nah, keep it up - it rocks!!
Nah, keep it up - it rocks!!
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- wavez
- Kobold
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:44 am
- Location: Sonora CA
- Contact:
thanks guys
I will try to work on it every night and post an updated screen shot. I think it has progressed nicely since this early morning. Check it out.
http://www.angelfire.com/music5/learnsmart/artwork.html
I will try to start working on a low resolution model--like what one might see in a computer game--either tonight or tomorrow. The low res version shouldn't take nearly as long as the high res one I'm working on now.
I pushing forward, so if there are any detracters out there, speak now, or forever hold your peace. Well, maybe not forever, but...
I will try to work on it every night and post an updated screen shot. I think it has progressed nicely since this early morning. Check it out.
http://www.angelfire.com/music5/learnsmart/artwork.html
I will try to start working on a low resolution model--like what one might see in a computer game--either tonight or tomorrow. The low res version shouldn't take nearly as long as the high res one I'm working on now.
I pushing forward, so if there are any detracters out there, speak now, or forever hold your peace. Well, maybe not forever, but...
-
onikaze
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:02 am
- Location: Beaver PA
so what exactly are you guys looking for ?
something cute and mascot-ish or
something cool in a 'heavy metal' sor t of way ?
that and how many bones for the control rig ?
would you want morph targets or bones for facial poses ?
what size restraints for textures , and how should they be split ? (say a base color , with a diffuse and specular , or does normal mapping take that all into acount? )
something cute and mascot-ish or
something cool in a 'heavy metal' sor t of way ?
that and how many bones for the control rig ?
would you want morph targets or bones for facial poses ?
what size restraints for textures , and how should they be split ? (say a base color , with a diffuse and specular , or does normal mapping take that all into acount? )
Last edited by onikaze on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Well, I'll go for a mascot-ish Ogre, but not too cute.
If you go for the überCool-ish hard-core metal version, it's easy to step over the line and into the puberty not-so-cool land.
We are developers, not immature students, right ?
((That's just my opinion))
If you go for the überCool-ish hard-core metal version, it's easy to step over the line and into the puberty not-so-cool land.
We are developers, not immature students, right ?
((That's just my opinion))
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- SomeFusion
- Gremlin
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:38 am
- x 3
- KeaponLaffin
- Kobold
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:45 pm
@wavez Looking good! I won't comment on the mesh for now, since it is in an early stage. But it does look like a great start. 
Please keep us posted on your progress.
[edit] Fixed typo [/edit]
Please keep us posted on your progress.
[edit] Fixed typo [/edit]
Last edited by KeaponLaffin on Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
