Quest for the coolest avatar

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
User avatar
nikki
Old One
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:08 am
Location: San Francisco
x 13
Contact:

Post by nikki »

How about this one:-

Image
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

Some additional data following Johnpus' lecture :)
- Amanita muscaria is toxic because of muscarine.
- The most poisonous in the family that I know of is the Amanita phalloides. You better don't read the intoxication symptoms :?

* I've been learning a bit about mushrooms lately. Just for the records :P
Image
User avatar
weshowe
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 3:27 am
Location: Rockdale, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by weshowe »

Those "magic" mushrooms are common in pastures where cattle are raised, they grow out of old cow "patties".

Mushroom hunters have been a big problem for some ranchers, mainly because of fence damage to get field access (if people can get in, the cattle can get out).

I am long past wanting to take a "trip" myself, whether on a plane or not. And I do not want to put my mushroom ID skills to any tests. But we have plenty of various mushrooms around here, between the pasture and the woods.

<* Wes *>
User avatar
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:49 am
x 3

Post by johnhpus »

I probably shouldn't comment where future employers might read, but sure, I've eaten psilocybe mushrooms before. For the record I'm 26 and it was five years ago. And holy cow, awesome.

Mushrooms of the sort you buy from hippies are usually cultured though and never come in contact with cow poo. The poo mushrooms are often cubensis, which is the most common, but there are hundreds of others.

I've become interested in hunting mushrooms lately as well but my interest is entirely in those mushrooms than are simply good food.
User avatar
lonewolff
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1207
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:58 am
x 6

Post by lonewolff »

I just came accross this avatar (of a newcomer). I looks pretty cool.

Image
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

syedhs wrote: xavier: I dont know about others, I think the boy kinda spooky to me. But it did make me to search internet for the avatar info immediately.
Image
Stewie > all
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

betajaen wrote:Image

:roll:
Epic mismatching of concepts:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2008/

Look who is on the Star stage at 11:30 Friday...
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
User avatar
lonewolff
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1207
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:58 am
x 6

Post by lonewolff »

xavier wrote:
betajaen wrote:Image

:roll:
Epic mismatching of concepts:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2008/

Look who is on the Star stage at 11:30 Friday...
11.30 is Hammertime!
User avatar
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Wales, UK
x 58
Contact:

Post by betajaen »

This is completely nerd-ish, and almost pointless to post. But for those who use NoScript in their Firefox browser, will notice that all the band JavaScript links for the band information have id's based off the band name, except for MC Hammer which is HAMMERTIME.

It amused me for a few moments.
User avatar
SomeFusion
Gremlin
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:38 am
x 3

Post by SomeFusion »

This one isn't bad :P Its the true spider man.
Image
User avatar
nullsquared
Old One
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA
x 11

Post by nullsquared »

-snip-
Last edited by nullsquared on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Wales, UK
x 58
Contact:

Post by betajaen »

You can only win by making that cookie real many times over, and hand it out to everyone.
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

betajaen wrote:You can only win by making that cookie real many times over, and hand it out to everyone.
++
Image
User avatar
Klaim
Old One
Posts: 2565
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:04 am
Location: Paris, France
x 56
Contact:

Post by Klaim »

++



+++++++++++
User avatar
nullsquared
Old One
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA
x 11

Post by nullsquared »

Really the only thing remotely close to a cookie that I can bake is some bread:
Image
It all started in 8th grade when every student had to bake a bread for the poor. First time I ever made my own dough and baked my own bread - I have a talent for this :twisted:
User avatar
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Wales, UK
x 58
Contact:

Post by betajaen »

Now, if you turn that bread into a sandwich; I will vote you in for the Noble peace prize for your dedication to the world, of handing out food stuffs to the needy.
User avatar
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:49 am
x 3

Post by johnhpus »

I'm coming to your place for dinner.

Edit:

Good joke with your avatar there. Of course only those of us who made it to page 3 reading this thread will have any idea why you've chosen to display such a love of bread.
User avatar
nullsquared
Old One
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA
x 11

Post by nullsquared »

Too bad the PNG came out to 17 kb, and the GIF loses the colour :|
User avatar
Thieum
Gnome
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Bordeaux, France
x 2
Contact:

Post by Thieum »

I love the idea of using food as avatar. weshowe, johnhpus and nullsquared, you have the coolest avatars :p
User avatar
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: Wales, UK
x 58
Contact:

Post by betajaen »

Personally, I think a slice of cake is better. :)
User avatar
nullsquared
Old One
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA
x 11

Post by nullsquared »

betajaen wrote:Personally, I think a slice of cake is better. :)
Homebaked cake ...? mmm :twisted:
User avatar
Thieum
Gnome
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Bordeaux, France
x 2
Contact:

Post by Thieum »

betajaen wrote:Personally, I think a slice of cake is better. :)
Liar!
User avatar
weshowe
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 3:27 am
Location: Rockdale, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by weshowe »

Thieum wrote:I love the idea of using food as avatar. weshowe, johnhpus and nullsquared, you have the coolest avatars :p
I appreciate the vote, although it is not clever, just cropped from a picture. While I raise beef for a living (well, I raise it for money, a living is another issue), it is likely no one will ever eat Lady. She is awesome looking, but will take a cattle cube from your hand.

Most of my cattle are, well, just cows.
User avatar
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:49 am
x 3

Post by johnhpus »

Wildly off topic weshowe, but if you don't mind, do you use BGH and how do you feel about it?
User avatar
weshowe
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 3:27 am
Location: Rockdale, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by weshowe »

No, I don't (BGH is Bovine Growth Hormone).

I don't think it is used as commonly as you have been lead to believe. Nobody I know uses it (generally it is used as an implant). Ditto for antibiotics. While I keep a supply of pennicillin, I rarely use it except if a cow or calf is injured.

<* Wes *>
Post Reply