does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
User avatar
cybereality
Hobgoblin
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:40 pm
x 12

Re: does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Post by cybereality »

@Kojack: Can you send me a PM on the Oculus forums with the project you're having trouble with? I may be able to get someone on the team to take a look.
User avatar
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Posts: 1894
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 am
x 116

Re: does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Post by mkultra333 »

Meh, looks like me using DX11 isn't an option at the moment. Which means no Oculus support this time around. Damn pity they dropped DX9, I was so looking forward to having VR support.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
User avatar
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator
Posts: 7157
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
x 538

Re: does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Post by Kojack »

If you don't upgrade the sdk, dx9 is still available for the rift. I think it's depreciated but still present in 0.4.4 and gone in 0.5.0. Of course CV1 (whenever it comes out) probably won't work with 0.4.4 (well, 99.999999% likely). Then again, it doesn't like Ogre in dx9, so probably not much point me bringing this up. :)
tmason
Kobold
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 am
x 1

Re: does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Post by tmason »

Hey Kojack,

Just wondering if I (or other community members) can lend a hand in helping you get this off the ground.

May you post code on where you are having the trouble?

I just don't want the Ogre to Oculus Rift / other VR effort to die because of hitting a stumbling block.

Let us know.
Kojack wrote:I was doing it all myself, but that was too troublesome (since things like overdrive are needed but not publically described) so I'm just letting the sdk do it. But with directx it crashes inside of oculus code that I can't debug. OpenGL is working, I just need time to clean it up (I've spent the last week writing a ray tracer for my students. It's their job to optimise it to run faster using threads, sao, better cache use, etc). Back on oculus code tomorrow.

The main issue at the moment is that Ogre can't create windows bigger than the monitor. My monitor is 1680x1050, but the oculus rift is 1920x1080. In direct mode you can't see the rift from windows, a window exists on the monitor. But Ogre clamps it to 1680x1050 and the oculus sdk upscales it to 1920x1080. It's possible at least in windows with dx11 to make the swap chain of a window at a different resolution to the window (so I could have a 1920x1080 back buffer in a 100x56 window for example). This requires hacking ogre's windowing code. I've done it successfully in the past with dx11, but I don't know if it's possible in gl3plus.
fla666
Greenskin
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:22 am

Re: does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Post by fla666 »

VR have huge market on mobile Device , if you guys can develop VR related support for android and ios , things maybe become more valuable than just mainly for PC
tmason
Kobold
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 am
x 1

Re: does ogre support virtual reality development ?

Post by tmason »

Agreed; one thing at a time though. IMHO I'd work with desktops for now and then shift to mobile.
fla666 wrote:VR have huge market on mobile Device , if you guys can develop VR related support for android and ios , things maybe become more valuable than just mainly for PC
Post Reply