Page 4 of 8
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:45 pm
by LordMyth
OK, many thanks! Updating now!
BTW, how can I compile the samples separately? I tried a ./configure in the samples/Grass folder, and it said there's no configure avaiable...
Oh, wait, I'll try configure for the whole ogre package.
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:43 pm
by Fredz
fog wrote:Samples are not packages because of licensing problems. I sent a pretty long analisys of the licenses to wumpus some months ago (by email) and got no answer. I understand very well why: just checking all the licenses took me 2 full days. Replacing all the problematic models and material would require a lot of work.
Could you post your analysis somewhere on the forums or the Wiki ? This way, other people could help creating a full set of free models and textures. Thank you.
Freeness of the samples
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:40 pm
by fog
I'll post it here but feel free to move it to a better place:
Code: Select all
here is the result of my Media/ digging for non-free (or license-less,
that is the same) files:
Media/fonts/
Arial can't be redistributed. Solo is non-free. maiden is
non-free. I suppose PNG of fonts can be distributed but would be
better to substitute free fonts.
Media/models/
The ninja and the robot (and associated textures) are non-free.
Everything else seems free but Raptor and Razor have attribution
copyright but no license. Would be wiser to ask the authors for
explicit license or remove them.
Media/materials/programs/
I suppose the code is under the same license as other ogre code,
i.e., LGPL. That's fine.
Media/materials/textures/
The following textures are probably free (or can be easily
redone without too much work):
10point.png
2049x2049_map.png
GLX_backdrop.png
GLX_icon.png
NMBalls.png
NMStripes.png
NMHollyBumps.png
NMBumpsOut.png
WeirdEye.png
atheneNormalMap.png
basic_droplet.png
cel_shading_*.png
cursor.png
dkyellow.png
droplet.png
egyptrockyfull.jpg
nm*.png
ogre*.png
scr*.png
smoke_colors.png
terrain.png
terrain_detail.jpg
All other textures are in a doubious state, here is a
substitution table using textures from the free golgotha
package:
BeachStones.jpg -> no substitution (is it free?)
BumpyMetal.jpg -> scrapstuccowbrickplain.jpg
Chrome.jpg -> ???
Dirt.jpg -> secret_floor.jpg
GreenSkin.jpg (greenish Dirt.jpg) -> modified secret_floor.jpg
MtlPlat2.jpg -> iorngrat.jpg
RZR-002.png -> ???
RustedMetal.jpg -> rustymetal1.jpg
RustySteel.jpg (created with GIMP, free?) -> rustymetal1.jpg
Water01.jpg -> water2.jpg
Water02.jpg -> seawaterfull2.jpg
clouds.jpg -> skycloudyblue2.jpg
dirt01.jpg -> dirtfrancestrips.jpg
flare.png -> flare_blue.png
flare_tail.png -> ???
grass_1024.jpg -> francegrassfull.jpg
nskingr.jpg -> SKIN
r2skin.jpg -> SKIN
rockwall.tga -> plainwallside.jpg
rockwall_NH.tga -> resize plainwallside.jpg
smoke.png -> invert colors of smoke_particle.jpg
snow1024.jpg -> snow1.jpg (but snowrubble1.jpg is better)
spacesky.jpg -> ???
spheremap.png -> ???
steelhead.png -> SKIN
terr_dirt-grass.jpg -> dirtfrancestrips.jpg
terr_rock-dirt.jpg -> rockovergrass.jpg
terr_rock6.jpg -> searockfull.jpg
terrain_texture.jpg -> secret_floor.pjg
texmap2.jpg -> SKIN
All the scripts (materials, etc.) are free, unless referencing a
non-free texture or model.
The textures marked as SKIN are reals skins for some of the models. I
suppose they are free if the model is free.
I know this is far from perfect (very far indeed) but it is a free
strating point; then we can improve.
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:05 pm
by ColdDarkness
Hi, here is my problem:
# ./bootstrap
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: configure.in: 15: macro `AM_PROG_CC_C_O' not found in library
I've search in the forum, but I haven't found any solution... Could someone help me plz?
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:50 pm
by lgoss007
Do you have the autotools installed (automake and autoconf)? That macro is in automake I believe.
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:17 am
by ColdDarkness
Yes I have: I have installed automake 1.9 and autoconf 2.59 (with --prefix /usr, as I saw in this forum)...
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:27 pm
by lgoss007
Well I'm no expert on the autotools, but maybe I can point you in the right direction. I believe aclocal isn't finding that macro, I don't know why. I looked it up on my machine and the macro is defined in "/usr/share/aclocal-1.9/minuso.m4". So somehow you probably need to add that path to aclocal? Maybe someone else here can tell you how, or alternatively check with the developers of your distribution.
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:37 pm
by frelin
Fredz wrote:fog wrote:Samples are not packages because of licensing problems. I sent a pretty long analisys of the licenses to wumpus some months ago (by email) and got no answer. I understand very well why: just checking all the licenses took me 2 full days. Replacing all the problematic models and material would require a lot of work.
Could you post your analysis somewhere on the forums or the Wiki ? This way, other people could help creating a full set of free models and textures. Thank you.
How about making the samples available separately here at the ogre site? You need them mostly for the tutorials, so it would only make sence to have them available over there? I mean if they were to be included in debian, they would still be put in a different package, since you most likely do not want to bloat the main libraries with a lot of samples. Right? This way it is possible to download them from this site when and if you need them.
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:57 pm
by makob
Yep, that's right. But the "bloat thing" is not the problem -- the license is.
The demos(*)
can't be included in the official Debian distribution because they do not adhere to the DFSG, see
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
(*) Demos: The sources are free, not the models/artwork/etc, which fog's analysis is all about. If the license-issues could be sorted out, the Ogre project would be totally free as in speech (tm) .... Except for Cg-things which is not that much of a problem afaik
Cheers,
Jakob
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:14 pm
by frelin
makob wrote:Yep, that's right. But the "bloat thing" is not the problem -- the license is.
The demos(*)
can't be included in the official Debian distribution because they do not adhere to the DFSG, see
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
(*) Demos: The sources are free, not the models/artwork/etc, which fog's analysis is all about. If the license-issues could be sorted out, the Ogre project would be totally free as in speech (tm) .... Except for Cg-things which is not that much of a problem afaik
Cheers,
Jakob
Yes, well, what I meant is that I do not think that they should be included in the main package, even if the licence would allow it. I think they should be distributed separately now matter what. So I think it is good the way fog has done it, but it would be nice with someplace where you could get the samples separately if you need them. You now have to download the source tar-ball from this site and extract them from that. It would be better with 2 files: source + samples.
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:24 pm
by makob
Ahh, I think I got it now--you weren't talking about the Debian packages but about the official Ogre source tarball, right?
If so, I think it's quite nice that the tarball comes with demos and everything, since I (personally) don't have to download two different things then, hehheh
Ahem - actually, I don't download the official tarball anymore--it's just sooooo much easier to use a Debian source-package
apt-get int
Jakob
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:12 am
by frelin
makob wrote:Ahh, I think I got it now--you weren't talking about the Debian packages but about the official Ogre source tarball, right?
If so, I think it's quite nice that the tarball comes with demos and everything, since I (personally) don't have to download two different things then, hehheh
Ahem - actually, I don't download the official tarball anymore--it's just sooooo much easier to use a Debian source-package
apt-get int
Jakob
Exactly, you should use the apt as far as it is possible.

I assume that the samples are not included in the debian source package either, so it would be nice to be able to get just them of the ogre site.
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:04 am
by fog
frelin wrote:Exactly, you should use the apt as far as it is possible.

I assume that the samples are not included in the debian source package either, so it would be nice to be able to get just them of the ogre site.
And the next version of the package will include a script to automatically build all (or some) samples for you. I use it to test the ogre packages before a release.
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:47 am
by ColdDarkness
Hi again,
Here is my problem when I use ./configure:
...
checking version 3.x of gcc... yes
checking whether to use STLPort... (cached) no
checking for freetype-config... /usr/bin/freetype-config
checking for FreeType - version >= 9.0.0... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for pow in -lm... yes
checking for gzopen in -lz... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for cppunit-config... /usr/local/bin/cppunit-config
checking for Cppunit - version >= 1.9.0... 1.10.2
./configure: line 20877: syntax error near unexpected token `ZZIPLIB,'
./configure: line 20877: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ZZIPLIB, zziplib)'
I've installed zziplib.... Could someone help me plz?
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 pm
by _mental_
Did you run ./bootstrap first?
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:23 pm
by ColdDarkness
Yes I did, and I just have a warning (concerning an underquoted line, in cppunit, I think) but no error.
I've seen a post saying that it's no problem with that warning....
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:43 am
by ColdDarkness
Hi again (again :p ),
I've found the solution: I had a problem with freetype 2 (it seems I had'nt install the dev one). But now, I 've got that during the make install (it seems there is no problem during bootstrap, configure, and make)...
Making install in OgreMain
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/chrigolionador/ogrenew/OgreMain'
Making install in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/chrigolionador/ogrenew/OgreMain/src'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/chrigolionador/ogrenew/OgreMain/src'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'libOgreMain.la' '/usr/local/lib/libOgreMain.la'
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libOgreMain.so.5.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libOgreMain.so.5.0.0
(cd /usr/local/lib && rm -f libOgreMain.so.5 && ln -s libOgreMain.so.5.0.0 libOgreMain.so.5)
(cd /usr/local/lib && rm -f libOgreMain.so && ln -s libOgreMain.so.5.0.0 libOgreMain.so)
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libOgreMain.lai /usr/local/lib/libOgreMain.la
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/libOgreMain.lai': No such file or directorymake[3]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Erreur 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/chrigolionador/ogrenew/OgreMain/src'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Erreur 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/chrigolionador/ogrenew/OgreMain/src'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Erreur 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/chrigolionador/ogrenew/OgreMain'
make: *** [install-recursive] Erreur 1
Any idea plz?
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:44 am
by dman
First of all, I'm not a Debian user, but I would be grateful if you helped me anyway.
When I compile, i get this
Code: Select all
Making all in OgreMain
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dman/Documents/ogrenew/OgreMain'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/dman/Documents/ogrenew/OgreMain/src'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++ -g -O2 -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -o libOgreMain.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -shared -version-info 5:0:0 OgreAnimation.lo OgreAnimationState.lo OgreAnimationTrack.lo OgreArchiveManager.lo OgreAutoParamDataSource.lo OgreAxisAlignedBox.lo
[blah blah blah]
OgreILCodecs.lo OgreILUtil.lo -lfreetype -L/usr/local/lib -lzzip -lz -lCg -lILU -lIL -lpthread -lz -lm -ldl -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread
: command not found 6:
: command not found 9:
: command not found 12:
: command not found 15:
: command not found 18:
: command not found 23:
: command not found 26:
: command not found 30:
: command not found 6:
: command not found 9:
: command not found 12:
: command not found 15:
: command not found 18:
: command not found 23:
: command not found 26:
: command not found 30:
g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../crti.o /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/crtbeginS.o .libs/OgreAnimation.o .libs/OgreAnimationState.o .libs/OgreAnimationTrack.o .libs/OgreArchiveManager.o .libs/OgreAutoParamDataSource.o
[blah blah]
.libs/OgreILCodecs.o .libs/OgreILUtil.o -Wl,- -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib -L/home/DooMWiz/DevIL/src-IL/src /usr/lib/libfreety -lz -ldl /usr/lib/libSDL.so -lpthread -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3 -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../.. /usr/lib/libstdc++.so -lm -lc -lgcc_s /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../crtn.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -Wl,-soname -Wl,libOgreMain.so.5 -o .libs/libOgreMain.so.5.0.0
: No such file or directoryso
: No such file or directoryo
make[2]: *** [libOgreMain.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dman/Documents/ogrenew/OgreMain/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dman/Documents/ogrenew/OgreMain'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Well, I'm obviously missing libOgreMain.so.5.0.0. I tried the suggestion at the beginning of the thread, (to move the libs from /usr/lib/OGRE to /lib), but I don't seem to have any OGRE-related files in /usr/lib at all.
If I open up a file manager while the compiler is running a libOgreMain.so does not seem to be created at any time (even with "show all hidden files" enabled).
I'm using SUSE 9.1,
Cg-1.1.0307,
DevIL 1.6.5 source,
and latest stable release of the Linux OGRE source (ogre-linux_osx-v1-0-0).
I've tried this with the CVS version but I still have the same problem.
Am I missing something? Help appreciated, thanks.
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:04 pm
by _mental_
@ColdDarkness:
What version of libtool are you using?
Also could you do a clean build and post the complete log of a fresh build. Actually put it here
http://www.nomorepasting.com
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:08 pm
by _mental_
@dman:
It looks like you installed the compiled version of DevIL from
http://openil.sf.net
I recommend removing your currently installed version of DevIL then grabbing the source and compiling it from scratch. This should solve the problem.
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:46 am
by dman
I still get the error with DevIL from source. Tried different versions (including the one reccommended in "readme.linux") and still get same error.
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:48 pm
by _mental_
Are you sure you got all of the original DevIL binary files? This error only happens with that version so I suspect not. Remove all of the following files /usr/local/lib/libIL* (and also /usr/lib/libIL* if you installed them in there). Then re-install from source.
Compiling problems
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:03 pm
by pao
I'm not entirely sure where to post this, and I can't figure out how to submit a new bug to the mantis tracker, so here goes:
I'm using Ubuntu Hoary for amd64 and am trying to compile cegui-mk2-0.2.0 and ogre-1.0.0 from the source packages in fog's Debian repository to make amd64 packages. I have also tried just compiling the cegui and ogre sources (including the 1.0.1 release) manually from freshly extracted tarballs and get the same problems.
For CEGUI:
./configure disables the OpenGLRenderer because the glInterleavedArrays test fails with missing references to pthread functions and -lpthread isn't passed to gcc. See this bug:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=605422
For both CEGUI and OGRE:
I get this error while linking the OpenGL RenderSystem:
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libGL.a(glapi.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib64/libGL.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [RenderSystem_GL.la] Error 1
Note that the same thing happens when just using /usr/lib/libGL.a (it is the same 64 bit library) and when compiling everything with -fPIC (by adding it to the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS).
I filed a bug in the CEGUI tracker here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=605422.
In case anyone wants to know if this is an Ubuntu bug this is the response I got:
https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9206. Since I don't really know what's going on or what I'm doing I assume Matt is correct.
Any help would be appreciated. And how do I file bugs in the future?
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:47 pm
by _mental_
I'll take a look into this. One question, what graphics card are you using and what driver version? It seems odd that it's trying to link against a static GL library rather than the dynamic one from the drivers or mesa.
You can file bugs in either mantis or on here.
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:06 am
by pao
_mental_ wrote:I'll take a look into this. One question, what graphics card are you using and what driver version? It seems odd that it's trying to link against a static GL library rather than the dynamic one from the drivers or mesa.
Well, I'm officially an idiot. You asking about my drivers made me check what else had 'nvidia' in the name, and installing nvidia-glx-dev seems to have worked - I've compiled cegui and am compiling ogre as I type this.
For the record, I'm using a PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 6200TC with the latest proprietary drivers (1.0-7174... previous versions don't support the card).
Will my linking against nVidia's GLX module be a problem for non-nvidia users? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know that much about libraries.
_mental_ wrote:You can file bugs in either mantis or on here.
Yeah, I've been to the mantis tracker, but
how do I file a new bug??? Did I overlook the button/link somewhere? Do I have to login first? How do I get an account?