Need a better framework.

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
Post Reply
User avatar
vgmdev
Greenskin
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:58 am
Location: MI, USA

Need a better framework.

Post by vgmdev »

Is there a better framework to work with than exampleapp...
stodge
Goblin
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:12 am
x 1
Contact:

Post by stodge »

Only if you write it yourself.

Kidding!!!

Try http://www.yake.org.
Tyn
Gremlin
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:40 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Post by Tyn »

Maybe this page in the Ogre wiki could help?

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ma ... _with_OGRE
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams

http://www.spacecolonization.net
2080: Space Colonization
User avatar
discipline
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:09 am

Post by discipline »

There is one being developed in conjunction with some wiki articles by bleeder. However page one has just started. I could give you mine under a BSD license (free to use, distribute, modify) . I'm developing my own and planning on releasing it. It works decently now, I just haven't documented or cleaned it up. It's about 3000 lines of code and handles input, smooth rotations, object management, basic animations. Here is a class list:

Code: Select all

Application	
CameraObj	
Input	
InputHandler	
InputManager	
InputSDL
InputOgre
InputGII
Listener	
Ninja	
Object	
Robot	
Speaker
vetts
Kobold
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 am

Post by vetts »

I know that no-one else has replied yet, but I'd be interested inseeing it:)
stodge
Goblin
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:12 am
x 1
Contact:

Post by stodge »

discipline: the links on your site don't work. Do you have any code we can see - examples?
User avatar
discipline
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:09 am

Post by discipline »

My site isn't advertised anywhere, except I suppose in my www link here in the forums. I just set it up. Let me piece together and clean up my frame work and I'll post it.
User avatar
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 2060
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
x 4
Contact:

Post by Falagard »

I'm interested in EVERYTHING. So yeah, can't wait to see it.

I'm currently working on 3rd person camera so the camera object interests me ;-)

Clay
User avatar
bugshake
Greenskin
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:12 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Post by bugshake »

Falagard wrote:I'm currently working on 3rd person camera so the camera object interests me ;-)
(off topic) maybe you can go and work for ubisoft, they seem to be having a lot of trouble getting this right :)
User avatar
discipline
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:09 am

Post by discipline »

Falagard: sorry to disappoint, but it is just a simple wrapper that is responsible for it's own pitch/yaw node and camera creation right now. I've spent more of my time in the object class with quaternions. :)

everyone else: Ok, I could tinker with it forever! It is clean enough for now. I'll just make a small announcement here and anyone who notices can grab it. If you guys find it useful, and as it grows I may advertise its availability more. This is just a simple framework that allows one to get off the example framework. However it does provide some cool things such as:
  • * Smooth rotation of objects using nlerp
    * Basic terrain collision detection of objects and camera
    * Better design than the example framework
    * Basic animation and movement logic built in to a world object
The project is named solar or solar framework. You can find the code on my site: http://code.adaptableit.com/code/solar
License is BSD which is even less restrictive than Ogre's (LGPL).
What's in the package is the sample framework (all under solar/*), and a sample program (sample/*). Your project is based off of modification or by example from sample/*. By leaving the framework alone, this will ease the upgrade process. If you need more functionality the framework can be overridden instead of modified.

Oh and finally, if you want to see some simple screen shots of my sample app, look under my art link: http://code.adaptableit.com/art Nothing fancy just yet, but there is my first texture mapped object (included in the sample).
vetts
Kobold
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 am

Post by vetts »

I will be downloading tonight and checking it out! TY:)
vetts
Kobold
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 am

Post by vetts »

I'm using VS .net 2003, so it'll take me a bit to understand the code and transferstuff over, but I'm sure it'll be a great reference. :D
User avatar
discipline
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:09 am

Post by discipline »

You won't need to port any code. Just ignore libgii, and sdl (for now) for that matter. All you need is to get the right compiler settings for MSVC. If you make a successful project file, I'd be happy to include it in the package.
vetts
Kobold
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 am

Post by vetts »

I'll let you know if I can get it over:)
User avatar
discipline
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:09 am

Post by discipline »

Ok Vetts, I've made a second release here: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11998
I now support MSVC 7.1 along side gcc. Let's have future discussion on this framework in the above thread.
Post Reply