how to get a game ready for distribution?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Paintbrush
Gnoblar

how to get a game ready for distribution?

Post by Paintbrush »

Hey guys, I'm new here, so bear with me :)

I've just recently got recommended Ogre to start tinkering with graphics programming. Granted, my C++ skills have whithered away from the endless doting of managed garbage collection and dynamic arrays by PHP and Java, but I'm determined to get that all back... with this as a starting point and motivator.

Anyway, I had already started setting up MSVC++ .NET 2003 to compile and run a simple app that imports a model. I'm thinking of starting on interfaces, but the 2 artifacts grace the screen: the Ogre logo on the right, and the diagnostics on the left. How do I have those removed? I thought they would be removed when using the release dll's, but i was wrong

Also, whenever Ogre starts, a configuration dialogue pops up first. Is this consistent and unremoveable across all applications made with Ogre?

Thanks in advance
Jay.

SuprChikn
Bugbear

Post by SuprChikn »

You can get rid of the ogre logo, the debug info (by which i mean the fps and triangle counter) and the config window. They are there because you are using the ExampleApplication framework which turns them on in code.

If you look through the code of ExampleApplication and ExampleFrameListener you should be able to find the function calls for these. You should probably be able to turn off the logo and debug info while still using the Example stuff, but to get rid of the config window you're going to have to move away from the Example framework.

Look through the code of these to see what they do, and port accross the things you need. I'm pretty sure there's at least one example of doing this on the wiki. Also, Dicipline has made his own framework to help people get started on things like this (I think it's called Solar Framework or something similar). You will probably be able to find this on the wiki too, or search the forums for his thread about it, or just find any post of his cause a link to it in in his signature.

Have fun.

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Just remove the call to Root::showConfigDialog() ;)

Of course you have to configure the renderer yourself then. The config dialog just calls methods like Root::getAvailableRenderers and RenderSystem::getConfigOptions to enumerate all the available options, and the equivalent set methods to actually configure.

Almost nothing in OGRE is fixed or predefined - but we do provide you with a lot of simple shortcuts and defaults to get you started. After you've explored for a while you'll notice that pretty much everything is replaceable / extensible via subclassing and judicious use of the API.