Mirroring and normal mapping [solved]
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:33 pm
I am researching how to use normal mapping in combination with mirrored meshes (and textures) and I am wondering how certain things can be solved.
First there is the flipped lighting in the general case of a mirrored and normal mapped object. How is this solved generally? I know its easy, but I am just wondering how its done.
Then there is my main question, assuming the above one has been solved: Doom III clearly uses characters that are mirrored. I checked their texture-files and they surely do. How is this done? I can generate half the normal map, but using this will result in strange lighting around the seam. This is apparently caused by the tangent being interpolated over the seam. (Or not?)
A solution for this that I implemented in MEL (MAYA-script) is to split the mesh over the seam, but keep the normals the same as they were before splitting. This keeps the look of the mesh perfectly smooth, but makes sure the tangents are not interpolated over the seam. However, this still does not look smooth, for now there is a visible edge in the seam. I guess this is because the tangents are flipped at both sides of the seam.
So, what is the best way to get normal mapping to work well with mirrored meshes like characters?
First there is the flipped lighting in the general case of a mirrored and normal mapped object. How is this solved generally? I know its easy, but I am just wondering how its done.
Then there is my main question, assuming the above one has been solved: Doom III clearly uses characters that are mirrored. I checked their texture-files and they surely do. How is this done? I can generate half the normal map, but using this will result in strange lighting around the seam. This is apparently caused by the tangent being interpolated over the seam. (Or not?)
A solution for this that I implemented in MEL (MAYA-script) is to split the mesh over the seam, but keep the normals the same as they were before splitting. This keeps the look of the mesh perfectly smooth, but makes sure the tangents are not interpolated over the seam. However, this still does not look smooth, for now there is a visible edge in the seam. I guess this is because the tangents are flipped at both sides of the seam.
So, what is the best way to get normal mapping to work well with mirrored meshes like characters?
