Page 1 of 1
The VRML converter cometh (announcement, call for models)
Posted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:02 am
by wesslen
I am writing a VRML -> static .mesh converter. It should be handy for those who don't have access to 3dsmax and for those of us who do but want our normals exported correctly
The VRML parser used is not complete, and I don't intend to make it understand the entire VRML97 format, so the features that are actually needed have to be identified. Therefore, I need your help.
If you are using a program that can export meshes to VRML, and want to help, then make a simple model (like a cube, but make sure it is triangulated) and send it to me, so that I can use it for testing.
Already known formats: 3dsmax4.0, 3dsmax5.0, Maya 4.5, Milkshape 1.6.6.
Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:18 pm
by wesslen
It's so good to know that people are interested
Anyway... the converter is nearly finished. You can download it from here:
www.hig.se/~dwn/sd/VRML2mesh-win32.zip
Let me know if you find any bugs.
Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:41 pm
by Paul
wesslen wrote:It's so good to know that people are interested
I am interested, just a bit snowed under at the moment.
Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:56 pm
by wesslen
Paul wrote:I am interested, just a bit snowed under at the moment.
Don't worry, I'm not upset or anything, just a bit surprised that there were no replies at all.
Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:37 pm
by Robbob
Hmmm, all I get is:
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d). Click on OK to terminate the application.
I have no idea what that means.

Nice idea though - vrml export seems to be supported in quite a few programs.
Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:48 pm
by wesslen
Robbob wrote:The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d). Click on OK to terminate the application.
Oh, sorry about that. I've compiled OgreMain.dll to use SSE2 instructions.
I'll get that fixed as soon as I can recompile OgreMain.
EDIT: Done. Let's hope I didn't miss anything else.
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:33 am
by Subcyde
Any progress on this VRML2Mesh thingy ?? I'm interested !!!

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:46 am
by johnhpus
Check out the date. No update from two years ago, it's probably dead.
Hah, it might be funny when the author of this thread gets an email from the Ogre forum. "Ogre? Oh, I remember Ogre ... "
edit:
Interestingly the link to the file is still up. The site that this is hosted on is in Swedish so I can't tell if it lists any newer versions or news about it's fate.
edit2:
Well damnation, you seem to be Swedish yourself! So you tell us =)
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:54 am
by jacmoe
When I look a my D:\ogrenew\Tools directory, I find a VRMLConverter directory within it.
This means that the VRMLConverter is an official part of Ogre.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:03 pm
by Subcyde
johnhpus -> where can I find the link ?? [edit] nevermind...found it
jacmoe -> I'm gonna check it out...[edit] I have the OgreSDK release so I would have to get the source code for that...damnation...
Thanks to both for the input !

Re: The VRML converter cometh (announcement, call for models)
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 am
by DIMEDROLL
Hello,
Where can I download the binaries for VRML converter?
I'v tried to build it from source on Windows but it gave me a lot of errors(I think it's incompatible with the current version of Ogre3D).
All the links I've found to the binaries do not work giving me an 404 error.
Re: The VRML converter cometh (announcement, call for models)
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:42 pm
by reptor
Hello
I do not know anything about this VRML converter. But I will show you how I converted a 3D model from Catia V5 R16 all the way to the Ogre3D mesh format.
This is what I did:
- 1) In Catia V5 R16, save a model as .wrl (VRML 2.0)
2) In AccuTrans 3D, import the model as .wrl (VRML 2.0)
3) In AccuTrans 3D, export the model as .obj (Wavefront)
4) In Blender, import the model as .obj (Wavefront)
5) In Blender, export the model as .mesh.xml (Ogre3D). Use the Blender exporter which comes with Ogre3D. It will produce an XML file. Then you will use the OgreXmlConverter to convert it to the binary Ogre3D .mesh format.
As you can see I used a program called "AccuTrans 3D". It is not freeware but it has a trial version with full functionality.
Its website is:
http://www.micromouse.ca/
Blender can be found from
http://www.blender.org/
Blender's own VRML importer could not handle the newer VRML file format but this alternative route can be used to go around that problem.
Re: The VRML converter cometh (announcement, call for models)
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 am
by DIMEDROLL
Thanks, you helped me.