Hey guys,
I'm in the process of checking out Turbo Squid for some models for a game/demo I am working on. I don't know much about modelling so I figured that I would draw on the experience of people in a similar situation.
My question is this: If I purchased a model that doesn't have animation, but does say "easy skeleton setup", etc, would I simply need to find some animated skeleton and somehow attach it to the model? I don't have any artistic ability so if I have to do much more than that, I am going to have to rule out non-animated models.
I am just wondering what it would take to get a mdoel from a non-animated state into a some-what-looks-like-a-normal-person-moving animation. It doesn't have to be amazing, I just really need it to animate.
I'm looking for fantasy/medival units for a small RTS project in case anyone cares.
Thanks
Shawn
Rigging a model
-
Spanky
- Halfling
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:45 am
- Location: Ontario Canada
- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
You'll need to use a modelling tool to rig a model (like Blender, XSI et al). They might mean 'easy' for an experienced artist
Basic rigging is not too difficult, especially with good tools, but there's a lot of refinement to it that really an experienced artist is needed for. If you're dealing with small units that you only see from a distance you can get away with lower quality and simpler skeletons.
-
Joshua
- Halfling
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:46 pm
Building a simple rig for a model without too much complexity is an intermediate task I would say, but making an "unbreakable" rig with a complete set of controls is quite another endeavor.
It's important that the rig is as intuitive as possible for animators, which entails creating manipulators, constraints, roll bones, proper orientations, etc etc...
The models themselves with usually require reworking in the rigging-weighting process as it's infrequent that the modelers will nail all the deformable areas on the first shot.
Be prepared to spend some time with this.
It's important that the rig is as intuitive as possible for animators, which entails creating manipulators, constraints, roll bones, proper orientations, etc etc...
The models themselves with usually require reworking in the rigging-weighting process as it's infrequent that the modelers will nail all the deformable areas on the first shot.
Be prepared to spend some time with this.