Page 1 of 1
Using Maya 7.0 Exporter (Noob question)
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:08 pm
by KungFooMasta
I have a problem exporting models that have multiple materials (example: 3 blinn textures assigned to one model), and I think I read on the forums that this isn't allowed. My question is: how can I remove all the materials I set to a model in maya? Google isn't helping me this time =(. I just want the model to revert back to the default grey material used when creating primitives and such.
I also noticed that if I delete all the material nodes in the hypershade editor the model turns green. Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks in advance
Re: Using Maya 7.0 Exporter (Noob question)
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:54 am
by Falk
If you delete all materials (you can't delete "lambert1") everything turns green because the model has no assigned material/texture ...
Simply drag and drop the "lambert1" material onto the model (middle mouse button). But if you want to export the scene to Ogre it is better to create a new material which you can rename (you can't rename "lambert1") ... because you need to have different materialnames for different models (*.mesh files) in Ogre ...
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:56 am
by xavier
You can use the same material name for multiple models in Ogre.
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm
by Falk
Right, I meant using the same materialname in different material-files ... thats not possible, is it ?
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:30 pm
by KungFooMasta
Thanks for the help guys, that fixed the problem. I'll just set the scenes material to the default lambert before exporting, until I learn to UV map better =)
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:33 pm
by KungFooMasta
For now, to avoid collisions with all my different material files using the lambert material I just create a material name prefix, like "Object1/Lambert1" and "Object2/Lamert2" etc.
You said earlier to make material names that I can rename...how does that work? I thought that the mesh has it coded in to look for a specifically named material, so renaming wouldn't work, with the exception that the mesh is regenerated.
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:03 am
by Falk
You can rename every material in maya (apart from lambert1). Doing that of course would force you to export the whole scene/model again. Another possibility would be to open (e.g. with textpad) the *.mesh and *.material files of an model and change the material name there ...
(i hope i don't misunderstand your problem)