Page 1 of 7

why not improve ogre's art content ?

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:44 pm
by dr_amr
what do you think is the difference between these screen shots ?


this one from UnrealEngine
Image



and this one from Ogre3d
Image





well, it's only the model !!

I beleive that if someone could make some nice models with the right materials and textures assigned to them, ogre will get some nice screenshots that really shows what it can do.

I will try on this myself but don't expect much :)

hey ogre users, be loyal to your ogre, improve ogre's art content, show others what our ogre can do :!:

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:19 pm
by HexiDave
Look at Pacific Storm and Fragfist in the OGRE Gallery on the front page.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:57 pm
by jacmoe
We've been through this a zillion times already - it seems like the artist types are stingy.
For good reason. :wink:

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:01 pm
by Jerky
I am actually already working on new stuff for Ogre. Since I have a full-time job (and then some) and my own project has been busy lately, I havent been making the progress that I would have liked, but I'm still working on it.

I cant seem to find the original thread (Im sure jacmoe can:)), but rest assured, I will be making some Hi-res stuff (using normal/parallax mapping).

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:44 am
by Yaniv
My friend an I are working on a pet project using Ogre as our rendering engine. (He's the artist).
Our models will have normal mapping so if we get some good screenshots (it may take a while) I'll be sure to send them to the Ogre gallery if accepted.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:05 am
by Game_Ender
Yaniv wrote:My friend an I are working on a pet project using Ogre as our rendering engine. (He's the artist).
Our models will have normal mapping so if we get some good screenshots (it may take a while) I'll be sure to send them to the Ogre gallery if accepted.
We need some better ones for the demos, so people can seem them live.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:23 am
by xavier
BTW, that model from the Unreal game will have been a 3D-scanned clay model, not created from scratch in a 3D tool. Effective lighting and various composition post-processing techniques will give you the photo-realistic rendering you see.

This can all be done with Ogre; there is nothing inherent in the Unreal engine that makes such renders exclusive to Unreal or any other 3D engine.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:49 am
by Max.Power
If Ogre wishes to commission some artists to work for 8 hours a day for several weeks to complete such a model, I'm sure that said artists would oblige them.

Edit: Heh. Just realised this sounds kind of like a troll post.

The point I was trying to make is that such a model would require an incredible investment of blood, sweat and tears to be developed in any reasonable amount of time. The effort it would take makes the likelihood of a model immerging out of the woodwork quite guarded.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:05 am
by Vectrex
actually that unreal model is a zbrush model. You guys can use my test zbrush model if you like. Not finished or textured though.
http://users.on.net/~edan/z/lotr-model-test-2_3.jpg

I tried importing it into ogre normalmapped and it worked but didn't look so great. I'd probably have to do another one with ogre and normalmapping in mind (and looking like an Ogre ;) )

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:27 am
by jacmoe
I've seen that before, haven't I?
Maybe in the Roll your own Ogre thread? :)

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:06 am
by Jerky
Ive seen it on Zbrush's forums I think. And maybe CGTalk's.

Maybe I'll show my first Z-model too :)

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 am
by Vectrex
yep, we never did actually get a new ogre mascot did we? ;)

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:41 pm
by dr_amr
hi, I've just drawn this concept art, if this looks like an ogre, it will be ok if someone make a 3d model out of it :)

Image


:roll:

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:09 pm
by Max.Power
I like that drawing. Good concept. Given his physique, he actually looks like some kind of artist or programmer. Maybe you could wisen him up a bit- like with spectacles or something- and have him painting something, like a hand carved doll, or something like that.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 pm
by jmonw
Max.Power wrote:Maybe you could wisen him up a bit- like with spectacles or something- and have him painting something, like a hand carved doll, or something like that.
Or not.

I mean, it's up to you.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 pm
by makeshiftwings
I think Ogre's best bet would be to try and hold a contest, at somewhere like cgtalk.com. Almost the entirety of the people at these forums are programmers, or programmers beginning to dabble in art (no offense). CGTalk is full of artists constantly showing off their creations to eachother, and they love contests. Another alternative would be to try and take the contest to the Blender forums. I'm sure some sort of contest could be organized along the lines of "We're an open source game engine, and you guys love open source! Open source power! Show your love! If you don't participate in this contest, you are a corporate sellout micro$oft-lover!!" And so on... ;) Some of the people on the blender forums are very skilled, and might be willing to try their best to make a new Ogre mascot. I really don't think it's a case of the artists not caring; it's just that they don't know since most of them are on art forums, not here on the Ogre forums listening to us complain.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:38 am
by jacmoe
I like that drawing too.
But it's not an ogre - maybe an ogrim or a sort of troll? :wink:

@makeshiftwings:
Great idea! :)

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:39 am
by Max.Power

Or not.

I mean, it's up to you.
Did you think I was giving him orders? LOL.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:14 am
by Vectrex
cgtalk sounds like a good idea. Not so sure about blender, nothing against those guys but we really need a super high poly character for normalmapping showings off etc and I'll never believe traditional modellers can do that properly (only some pro's seem to be able to do it of course). Naturally I love zbrush and in fact the zbrush forums are also chok full of people doing great stuff who would probably love a compo.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:28 am
by dr_amr
I don't actually know how an ogre should look like, I never met one :) ,but yea this one looks like a troll ( like those in world of warcraft ).

are there any specs for our wanted ogre ? how should it look like?




ps: I'm an artist that is beginning to dabble in programming :wink:

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:14 pm
by jacmoe
dr_amr wrote:are there any specs for our wanted ogre ? how should it look like?
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... l+own+ogre

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:33 pm
by dr_amr
thanks jacmoe,

in the thread you pointed to, Sinbad refered to cstretten's image as a perfect match of what he thought was an ogre, yet the image cstretten uploaded is no more available, does anybody keep a copy of this image so that I can identify what's Sinbad's ogre look like? :)


by the way, I'm arabian ( egypt ) , I like very much the book of "arabian nights" which I beleive is where Steve got his nickname "Sinbad" , would you like it if I make a design of Ogre inspired from "arabian nights" ?


thx :)

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:48 am
by makeshiftwings
Vectrex wrote:cgtalk sounds like a good idea. Not so sure about blender, nothing against those guys but we really need a super high poly character for normalmapping showings off etc and I'll never believe traditional modellers can do that properly (only some pro's seem to be able to do it of course). Naturally I love zbrush and in fact the zbrush forums are also chok full of people doing great stuff who would probably love a compo.
I'm not very good with blender myself, but I get the feeling that if you posted something like that on their forums, you might get a bunch of people creating high poly ogres just out of spite and religious fervor ;)

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:32 am
by EvilPickles
asdasdx

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:00 pm
by dr_amr
hello there,

may I suggest this ogre in the screenshot ( from the great project : Awakening : Episode One ) an OGRE3d featured project, to be our new ogre mascott ?



Image


it doesn't need more than a little bit of polishing ( maybe a specular map, hi-res normal map, hi-res texture, some shaders? )

and I see it has already been animated, see the video :

http://home.pchome.com.tw/soho/malomalo/111.avi



do you ( Ogre folks and Awakening folks ) like this proposition ?