Does anyone use FreeWorld3d with Ogre?
-
Imperil
Does anyone use FreeWorld3d with Ogre?
I'm just wondering if anybody has used this as a basic tool chain and what their experience with it was. Are the .scene files that are exported by FreeWorld3D able to be imported using the Ogre .scene file manager or did you write your own scene manager?
Thanks!
Thanks!
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Falagard relied upon FreeWorld3D and Giles, before work started on the PLSM2 Editor.
And this beauty of a project is using FreeWorld3D:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... d3d#120365
There are probably other FreeWorld3D users out there..
Would be cool if they chimed in and shared their experiences, as I've been thinking about buying the tool.
Yes, I'd like to buy it even if the PLSM2 editor is going to be released RSN - I'd like to have alternatives.
And this beauty of a project is using FreeWorld3D:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... d3d#120365
There are probably other FreeWorld3D users out there..
Would be cool if they chimed in and shared their experiences, as I've been thinking about buying the tool.
Yes, I'd like to buy it even if the PLSM2 editor is going to be released RSN - I'd like to have alternatives.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
-
soconne
- Kobold
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:05 am
The next version of Freeworld3D, v2.1, will have a built in road creation system, mesh self-shadowing, vegetation system and the ability to place a few thousand trees in a scene at high frame rates using imposters.
You can take a look at the road creation system demo video I created.
http://www.freeworld3d.org/video/roads.wmv 13.8MB
You can take a look at the road creation system demo video I created.
http://www.freeworld3d.org/video/roads.wmv 13.8MB
- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Does all these great things have an easy route to OGRE? 
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- IFASS
- Gnome
- Posts: 387
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
- Location: Netherlands
On the frontpage:jacmoe wrote:Does all these great things have an easy route to OGRE?
Dunno what it exactly means though.. gotta find out thenbullet NEW in Freeworld3D 2.0
Ogre3D, DirectX, Blitz3D, AC3D Support
Edit: It means .mesh support
Last edited by IFASS on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
I know what it means. I was just wondering if the new-new-new features in 2.1 have full OGRE support.
I am aware that the current FreeWorld3D will export OGRE terrain and a .scene file - and a .raw heightmap, and either splatting materials or standard base texture/detail textures.
Yes, FreeWorld3D does that already!
I am just asking if imposters, shadowing, vegetation system and roads will be as easy to get into OGRE as terrain and scene currently is.
I am aware that the current FreeWorld3D will export OGRE terrain and a .scene file - and a .raw heightmap, and either splatting materials or standard base texture/detail textures.
Yes, FreeWorld3D does that already!
I am just asking if imposters, shadowing, vegetation system and roads will be as easy to get into OGRE as terrain and scene currently is.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- IFASS
- Gnome
- Posts: 387
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
- Location: Netherlands
Roads.. hm.. they look like just an modification of the meshfile.. i think that one is supported. But indeed, it'd be great if the other things were supported alsojacmoe wrote:I know what it means. I was just wondering if the new-new-new features in 2.1 have full OGRE support.
I am aware that the current FreeWorld3D will export OGRE terrain and a .scene file - and a .raw heightmap, and either splatting materials or standard base texture/detail textures.
Yes, FreeWorld3D does that already!
I am just asking if imposters, shadowing, vegetation system and roads will be as easy to get into OGRE as terrain and scene currently is.
Just ordered the program.. wondering what i can do with it

- Falagard
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 2060
- Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:11 am
- Location: Toronto, Canada
- x 4
- Contact:
That's really damn cool.
Just an FYI that with the GOOFEditor I know that external terrain generation packages like Freeworld will have better support for generating terrains than I will ever be able to do, so I'm fully supporting certain external terrain tools, with preference for Freeworld because it's so cool.
Just an FYI that with the GOOFEditor I know that external terrain generation packages like Freeworld will have better support for generating terrains than I will ever be able to do, so I'm fully supporting certain external terrain tools, with preference for Freeworld because it's so cool.
- IFASS
- Gnome
- Posts: 387
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
- Location: Netherlands
Yup, and pretty cheap compared to other packagesFalagard wrote:That's really damn cool.
Just an FYI that with the GOOFEditor I know that external terrain generation packages like Freeworld will have better support for generating terrains than I will ever be able to do, so I'm fully supporting certain external terrain tools, with preference for Freeworld because it's so cool.
Maybe we could get them to integrate some more ogre features.. bet more ogre users will buy it then.

- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Better support for paging terrains is an obvious feature request. 
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- IFASS
- Gnome
- Posts: 387
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
- Location: Netherlands
You are the developer of Freeworld?soconne wrote:I am always very motivated by user requests for new features and how to make Freeworld3D easier to use and integrate into existing engines. So please, any suggestions are more than welcome.
yeah, i think it's good to set up a list of features which would be really helpful, bet the app will be used a lot more by ogre users then!

- jacmoe
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 20570
- Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
- Location: Denmark
- x 179
- Contact:
Very cool that you are frequenting the Ogre community, soconne!
@IFASS and other FreeWorld3D users:
We should use the FreeWorld3D Forum !
@IFASS and other FreeWorld3D users:
We should use the FreeWorld3D Forum !
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
- d3th_n1gG4
- Gnome
- Posts: 346
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 am
- Location: Durban, South Africa, No London, wait, where?
- Contact: