Pose animation and Maya

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
letest
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Pose animation and Maya

Post by letest »

Hi,

I'm very happy with this new Dagon version of Ogre... however, I'm having a problem with pose animations...

I'm needing to export pose animations with Maya. Actually, what I need is to export a character with multiple facial gestures that can be combined just as pose animations in the facial demo do. As far as I know, that can't be done with morphing, and as far as I know, no Maya exporter works with pose animations at all.

So I'm wondering, what can I do? I know what I can't: I can't use XSI instead of Maya (that's a problem, but I can't in this project). I'm wondering if I can use some special kind of morphing anims to get the same effect, maybe with some loses in the performance (but it's not very important I think, as I won't be having more than 5 moving heads on screen at a time).

Thank you for this Ogre Dagon release, and any comments and advices on this regard will be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

You can define & use poses in your code if you want. But then you might as well enhance the Maya exporter yourself to support them. Or beg bisco to do it ;)

There's no point thinking of using some other morph technique - that wouldn't make any sense. OGRE supports all the features you need, your only problem is getting data for it from A to B. That would remain even if you (for some reason) wrote some other morphing routine.
Joshua
Halfling
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Post by Joshua »

It's next up on bisco's TODO list for the Maya exporter. Make all checks payable to: Bisco :D
User avatar
bisco
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Post by bisco »

Hey guys ;)
I'll work on pose animations export soon, just need to settle the measurement units matter and fix a bug on joint scale animation, and I'll start working on it...
User avatar
hmoraldo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:22 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
x 1
Contact:

Post by hmoraldo »

Super, thank you...
tonytouch
Gnoblar
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: munich / germany

Post by tonytouch »

cool ,

thanx bisco .

i guess jointScale- is even more important , for cartoony-looks , great News .

Thanx to all of you OGREs , for this great News ... :D
-->
just me
letest
Gnoblar
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Post by letest »

Thank you!
Post Reply