4 bones per vertex limit
- PixL
- Halfling
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:33 am
4 bones per vertex limit
How do I set this limit in 3ds max so that it doesnt assign more then four bones for a vertex?
- Lee04
- Minaton
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
- x 1
You set it in the skin or physiqe modifier when you apply is to the mesh.
3 bones limmit on older cards and 4 bones limmit on newer cards.
Yeh there is number of bones limmits as well so if you have many bones you need to splitt it. This is due to limmited number of CPU->GPU c registers (uniform variables) on different cards.
Dependng on your application software skinning can be faster. But otherwise harware skinning.
3 bones limmit on older cards and 4 bones limmit on newer cards.
Yeh there is number of bones limmits as well so if you have many bones you need to splitt it. This is due to limmited number of CPU->GPU c registers (uniform variables) on different cards.
Dependng on your application software skinning can be faster. But otherwise harware skinning.
Last edited by Lee04 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ph.D. student in game development
- PixL
- Halfling
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:33 am
ok thanks.
This didn't solve my problem though. Thing is I thought the reason my animated meshes were messed up was becouse of the bone assignmens, but I have experiemented with different setups of the physique modifier and still couldnt fix it. The meshes are even messed up in oFusion viewport. The arms and legs of the model are stretched and look realy wierd. It looks as if some parts of the mesh are "atracted" to the wrong bones. I don't have any modifiers above physique and I didn't use any bone mirroring. All I did was create a biped system, scale bones and assign physique modifier.
Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be a problem with oFusion? Allso, does anyone have a biped animation scene that exports correctly just so I can see how it should be done?
This didn't solve my problem though. Thing is I thought the reason my animated meshes were messed up was becouse of the bone assignmens, but I have experiemented with different setups of the physique modifier and still couldnt fix it. The meshes are even messed up in oFusion viewport. The arms and legs of the model are stretched and look realy wierd. It looks as if some parts of the mesh are "atracted" to the wrong bones. I don't have any modifiers above physique and I didn't use any bone mirroring. All I did was create a biped system, scale bones and assign physique modifier.
Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be a problem with oFusion? Allso, does anyone have a biped animation scene that exports correctly just so I can see how it should be done?
- Mikachu
- Gnoll
- Posts: 603
- Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:11 pm
- Location: Nice, France
- x 35
This problem is very, very current. You can minimise it by having the arms of the character well separated from the body, but even with it, it's not sure it works all the time.
So the solution, at this point, is to edit individually each bone enveloppe in the skin or physique modifier (which takes me a looooot of time because I'm not too good at it).
See the 3dsmax animation tutorials for more information.
So the solution, at this point, is to edit individually each bone enveloppe in the skin or physique modifier (which takes me a looooot of time because I'm not too good at it).
See the 3dsmax animation tutorials for more information.
- Lee04
- Minaton
- Posts: 945
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
- x 1
- PixL
- Halfling
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:33 am
Well its not that hard to make the model look correct in max, its just to select a number of verts and assign them to a bone. I find that alot easier then to use envelopes. Maybe that is the problem? Allso I'm using premade bip file from Q3A (http://asp.planetquake.com/dl/dl.asp?q2 ... -steed.zip) that contains all the animations. Actualy the model looked quite well when I animated some parts of it myself. Could it be the bip file that poses a problem? Can someone test these bips? You thould see the problem in oFusion viewport. I used major.bip to be exact...Mikachu wrote:This problem is very, very current. You can minimise it by having the arms of the character well separated from the body, but even with it, it's not sure it works all the time.
So the solution, at this point, is to edit individually each bone enveloppe in the skin or physique modifier (which takes me a looooot of time because I'm not too good at it).
See the 3dsmax animation tutorials for more information.
Yes i scaled bones in figure mode, its imposible otherwise..
The model looks great in max itself
No I havent tested another exporter couse I couldn't make native ogre exporter work in max 8.

