Page 1 of 1

Texture resolution

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:39 am
by DoomsbergA
Hey, I have created a few models and used texporter to get the uvw so I can use GIMP to colour it in. I was thinking of using of using pretty small textures, but still want quite a bit of detail. I figured it might be an idea to change the resolution of the image file. What do people reccomend for texture resolutions, or does it vary depending on the object the texture is for etc?

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask, but I figured it was probably the most appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:50 am
by xavier
Depends on way too many factors. Ask your engineers what they need, and then make it look as good as possible within those constraints. Ogre supports whatever the hardware supports, which seems to be capped at about 4096x4096 on current hardware. Of course, that takes forever to load across the bus...this is why you want to consult your engineers, since they are the ones that have to make it run fast, not just look good. ;)

If you don't have engineers, and/or don't really have any performance goals, make it as detailed as you care to make it, up to 4096.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:52 am
by haffax
Start big. Resampling the textures to smaller dimensions is always possible and for power of two textures, which you should always use, you don't need to adjust UVs at all.
You should also consider batching textures for objects like to be shown near each other into one texture. Having one 1024x1024 texture is much cheaper than having four 512x512 ones.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:02 am
by DoomsbergA
Thanks for the replies, you just amde me realise I had made a big mistake with the texturing I had done so far.