Normal mapping on Animated mesh?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
Swinto
Gnoblar
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:13 pm

Normal mapping on Animated mesh?

Post by Swinto »

I tried the Irrlicht engine and found that that it doesen't support normal mapping on animated mesh. So before I start again I just want to know if Ogre does. :)
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Normal mapping on Animated mesh?

Post by IFASS »

Swinto wrote:I tried the Irrlicht engine and found that that it doesen't support normal mapping on animated mesh. So before I start again I just want to know if Ogre does. :)
It does :)
Image
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

Yes (using tangent space normal maps), but if you use hardware skinning in your shader (and you'd be silly not to), your shader must remember to take the animated vertex normal into account when calculating the object-space-to-tangent-space transform.
User avatar
IFASS
Gnome
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by IFASS »

sinbad wrote:Yes (using tangent space normal maps), but if you use hardware skinning in your shader (and you'd be silly not to), your shader must remember to take the animated vertex normal into account when calculating the object-space-to-tangent-space transform.
You see.. sometimes i have the feeling these people come from another planet...
Image
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

IFASS wrote:
You see.. sometimes i have the feeling these people come from another planet...
?
Post Reply