Page 1 of 1

How to apply detail textures in big terrain?

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:03 pm
by gamekill
Hi!
My first post here. I hope I can get well into the Ogre engine as well as the community!!!

Anyway, I already have my very first question:

How can I map detail textures along a level's terrain? I mean, besides making a big terrain and applying a repeating grass pattern, I would like to add some details like faded/dried grass paths near bridges, or sand areas, that sort of thing. I finished an example of a level in 3DS Max, and the image displays part of it to illustrate.

Image

In 3DS Max, I simply applied a huge detailed texture image on top of the whole terrain (like 4096x4096 pixels), but I realize that's not the way to do it in games. How can it be done?

I am currently beginning a game project and my team already has a competent coder looking into Ogre3D. In fact he's already getting the hang of it. But the creation/design area is mostly in my hands, and I need to know how to do stuff in 3DS Max that will actually work in Ogre3D...

Any tips about this are more than welcome!!!

Thanks!!!!!

:D :shock: :P :) :D

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:53 pm
by sinbad
Search the forum for 'splatting', this has been discussed quite a few times already.

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:32 am
by gamekill
Will do. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o :D :) :D :P