Normal Mapping on skinned?

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
Post Reply
User avatar
Chosker
Gnoblar
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:45 pm

Normal Mapping on skinned?

Post by Chosker »

hello, I'm working on a project and I was wondering if normal mapping can be used on skinned (animated) meshes
so far I can't get the shader working properly so i thought this could be the reason for it

so, does OGRE support normal mapping on skinned meshes?

thanks
Chosker
Elium Game Project
Euphoria Soccer
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

I saw a screenshot of the Robot normalmapped in a nfz shader topic, so that is indeed possible. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

Provided you use tangent-space mapping and your shader adjusts the normals based on the skinning too, this is a given.
User avatar
Chosker
Gnoblar
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:45 pm

Post by Chosker »

good, any way I can get a shader example of this? I am no good with shaders :)
Chosker
Elium Game Project
Euphoria Soccer
dupleg
Kobold
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:18 am

Post by dupleg »

yea yeah.... i also need something like this, me too not good with shaders. i asked for some link to learn shader fast and easily, no one provided! :( .... i need this really bad
Genius
User avatar
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 20570
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Denmark
x 179
Contact:

Post by jacmoe »

dupleg wrote:i asked for some link to learn shader fast and easily, no one provided! :( .... i need this really bad
Well, if you find a link like that: please share it with us! :)

There is no way to learn shader programming fast.

Sure, it is faster than learning C++, but still fairly complex. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:53 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
x 1
Contact:

Post by Vectrex »

so the included ogre normalmap shader doesn't work well on animated meshes?
User avatar
BlasterN
Gnome
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:07 am
Location: Spain
Contact:

Post by BlasterN »

@jacmoe
I saw it, and yes it's possible I have two models nomal maps.

@Vectrex
You missunderstood everything.

Tangent Normal Map. (ogre one)
Work for animated (deformable) & static geometry.

World Normal Map
Only work for Static meshes.

so why use World Nomal Map. Performance, less shader code.

Read this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=129627

Its curious if I dont remember bad, someone ask this yesterday... here: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
Post Reply