new building tutorial

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
jAyTeA
Kobold

new building tutorial

Post by jAyTeA »

Because all the tutorials I found in the forum and the wiki are too old i made this little tutorial of how to compile Ogre 1.4.1 under Ubuntu 7.04 (but i think it should be similar on other linux-systems).
I made this tutorial with review on this page and this forum-post.

1. Dependencies:

build-essential (, cvs)
automake(1.9)
libtool
libcppunit-1.12-0, libcppunit-dev
libzzip-dev
libxt-dev
libxaw7-dev
libxxf86vm-dev
libxrandr-dev
libfreetype6, libfreetype6-dev
libpcre3-dev
libjpeg62-dev
freeglut3-dev

After installing the above dependencies you con build the other Eihort Dependencies:

OIS 1.0
FreeImage 3.9 is strongly suggested (required for VC8 and gcc 4.1+), 3.8 may work on other platforms/compilers
CEGui 0.5.0: http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/ ... oads_0.5.0

Now you will need to install a certain Cg Toolkit from nVidia. You can find it here:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_toolkit.html

After you tar the file .tar.bz2 file, you'll be left with a /usr directory which you will need to merge with your own. If you don't have Cg Toolkit set up when you ' ./configure', it will tell you so. Note that you can always not download the Cg Toolkit and run './configure --without-cg', but this will break some of the ogre examples and other functions. This is not advised, not have I tried this.

2. Get the Ogre3D package

from here: http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option= ... Itemid=132

3. Installing Ogre3D

Browse in the console to your ogrenew-directory. Then type:

aclocal
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install (or checkinstall)

That should it be! If somethings wrong or missing please tell me! :D
Last edited by jAyTeA on Tue May 29, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I love it! :D

It looks right - I've tried it a couple times lately, but I never had the patience to actually pause and write everything down.
Looks like you did!

I think we can get rid of most of the previous (K)Ubuntu guides.
They're outdated.

Thank you! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Would you update the wiki, please?

If you don't feel like it, I can do it. :)

This section is a mess:

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Bu ... 2F_Kubuntu
manowar
Orc

Post by manowar »

This will be really helpful for sure ! However I am a bit concerned about something... I cannot see the packages with opengl headers and libs...gl.h, glut.h...

I always had to install:
libglu1-mesa-dev
mesa-common-dev

Let me know if I am wrong or what is the alternative.

Thanks
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Maybe freeglut triggers installation of those. :)
jAyTeA
Kobold

Post by jAyTeA »

Thanks for the replies.
I always had to install:
libglu1-mesa-dev
mesa-common-dev
The glu-headers are all installed with the freeglut3-dev -package as dependencies.

I built it on a completely new Ubuntu-Installation and just installed and noted the packages that ./bootstrap, ./configure and make needed. So it should be complete.

I'm not really familiar with the wiki so can you please do it?[/quote]
manowar
Orc

Post by manowar »

You are probably right, I guess it depends in which order I installed the different packages...
I noticed too that I do not have libmng-dev installed. I guess, this package install other dependencies (libjpeg for example), but the actual libmng is not required.

Anyway it is a really good start, we can always adjust the list later.
jAyTeA
Kobold

Post by jAyTeA »

I noticed too that I do not have libmng-dev installed. I guess, this package install other dependencies (libjpeg for example), but the actual libmng is not required.
hmm, configure asked specificaly for the libmng headers, so I thought that they are really needed.

I just removed the libmng-dev-package and made configure again and it works, so it just needs the dependencies. I am going to test the dependencies of libmng and adjust the list.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Thanks, I'm considering an upgrade to 7.04 early this summer and this will come handy. Thanks a lot for taking the patience to write it down :)
jAyTeA
Kobold

Post by jAyTeA »

I love this engine so im just doing what I can to help you and its good to see you guys think its handy.

I adjusted the list above. The libmng-dev-package seems to not be used, just its dependency, the libjpeg62-dev-package. I hope its right, maybe someone can test it later.
jAyTeA
Kobold

Post by jAyTeA »

ok, i have linked this thread in the Wiki-article. I hope this tutorial stays here for a long time :)
btmorex
Gremlin

Post by btmorex »

BTW, Debian unstable has a package called nvidia-cg-toolkit that auto downloads and installs nvidia cg. It works fine in Ubuntu too.
Etienne
Gnoblar

glx 1.4?

Post by Etienne »

Hi All

I followed this wonderful walk-through on a pretty fresh install of Ubuntu 7.04 all the way through a clean build, but ran into a problem at runtime...

When running any of the demos, the moment it opens a rendering window there is an error on the console that says something about 'Invalid function call' or something to that effect (sorry, was late last night, and don't have the computer in front of me)...

There are a few references to this from Ogre releases gone by and was a result of a patch that relied on glx1.4, and U7.04 only comes with glx1.2...

Can someone who has done this walkthrough please check to see if their demo apps run? If not, and you do get it working - please could you post the remaining steps to be added to the walkthrough :)

Thanks
Etienne
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

That should come with your graphics card driver, AFAIK.
Check what driver you're using.
capture
Goblin

hey

Post by capture »

After you tar the file .tar.bz2 file, you'll be left with a /usr directory which you will need to merge with your own. If you don't have Cg Toolkit set up when you ' ./configure', it will tell you so. Note that you can always not download the Cg Toolkit and run './configure --without-cg', but this will break some of the ogre examples and other functions. This is not advised, not have I tried this.
Sorry i just installed ubuntu and was wondering if some one could tell me how i would merge the downloaded files with the /usr directory? I am using the account i installed with, but i dont have access to the root folders. I am new to linux, so i dont know much what to do about this. I know how to use the terminal if some one can give me the command i need to use :)
btmorex
Gremlin

Re: hey

Post by btmorex »

capture wrote:
Sorry i just installed ubuntu and was wondering if some one could tell me how i would merge the downloaded files with the /usr directory? I am using the account i installed with, but i dont have access to the root folders. I am new to linux, so i dont know much what to do about this. I know how to use the terminal if some one can give me the command i need to use :)
The easiest way is to just download and install this (debian package but works fine in ubuntu):

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/c ... 1_i386.deb
capture
Goblin

thanks

Post by capture »

Yeah thanks thats what i needed :)
dr_amr
Halfling

Post by dr_amr »

thanks buddy, that's all that I needed !
I love OGRE !
dedesite
Halfling

Post by dedesite »

Hi all,

I'm geeting completly mad!!! :evil:

I've first try to install Ogre with this the old tutorial on the wiki (FromSourceUbuntu which I have now update with your version jAyTeA ;) ), but it hasn't work :

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 364#244364

And then I've uninstall (properlly) all the lib which waren't in your tutorial and I install which waren't in the other tutorial.
I'v got EXACTLY the same problem after recompiling with apparently only the good package!!!

I don't know where does the problem come from and it really troubles me... :(

Why compiling an app under linux is so complicated??

I'll maybe reinstall (again!!) my system a last time and try to install from scratch with your method, but I don't know if it'll work.

Thanks for helping me, greetings,

Dede

EDIT : My problem is solve!!! :D It was checkinstall which doesn't work... with make install no problem :roll:
WaRHaWK
Gnoblar

broken link in the wiki ubuntu howto

Post by WaRHaWK »

Hiho

here is a broken link in the howto: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/FromSourceUbuntu
---------
STEP 2 : Build other dependancies

* OIS 1.0 :

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/wgoisu

change to
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/wgois
-----------

Best regard
WaRHaWK