It came to my attention that the use of OverlayElements, OverlayContainers, and Overlays in general produce a lot of batching.
It seems like every PanelOverlayElement I use raises the batch count by 1. Is there any way we can reduce this?
Thanks for any help.
KungFooMasta
Overlay Optimization?
- KungFooMasta
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 2087
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am
- Location: WA, USA
- x 16
- Contact:
- xavier
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 9481
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
- Location: Dublin, CA, US
- x 22
Don't use overlays? They are not good for much other than development and debugging.
I am guessing that this came up as a result of the QuickGUI post in the addons forum -- I wasn't aware you are basing that on Overlays -- that's not such a good idea.
There is a reason that UI systems render directly to quads themselves, so they have control over how they do what they do.
I am guessing that this came up as a result of the QuickGUI post in the addons forum -- I wasn't aware you are basing that on Overlays -- that's not such a good idea.
There is a reason that UI systems render directly to quads themselves, so they have control over how they do what they do.
- KungFooMasta
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 2087
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am
- Location: WA, USA
- x 16
- Contact:
That's not good news!
Other than this batching issue, I see the Ogre Overlay system as being very powerful and capable of fulfilling GUI needs. Instead of acknowledging that the Overlay system has limitations, we should try to make it better! Then again, it would probably have low priority for most developers.
I supposed I could look into quads when I have more free time.. Overlay's seem like a great thing, they just need some tweaking. Aren't there a lot of showcase projects that use Overlays as GUI elements of the game?
Other than this batching issue, I see the Ogre Overlay system as being very powerful and capable of fulfilling GUI needs. Instead of acknowledging that the Overlay system has limitations, we should try to make it better! Then again, it would probably have low priority for most developers.
I supposed I could look into quads when I have more free time.. Overlay's seem like a great thing, they just need some tweaking. Aren't there a lot of showcase projects that use Overlays as GUI elements of the game?
- xavier
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 9481
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
- Location: Dublin, CA, US
- x 22
No. Most showcase projects that have any interactive UI use something like CEGUI or a homegrown solution. Overlays are best for what they are used for: displaying debug info in debug overlays. As you found out, they are not in the least optimized, and there is no desire on the part of the Team to make them so.KungFooMasta wrote:That's not good news!![]()
Other than this batching issue, I see the Ogre Overlay system as being very powerful and capable of fulfilling GUI needs. Instead of acknowledging that the Overlay system has limitations, we should try to make it better! Then again, it would probably have low priority for most developers.![]()
I supposed I could look into quads when I have more free time.. Overlay's seem like a great thing, they just need some tweaking. Aren't there a lot of showcase projects that use Overlays as GUI elements of the game?
- KungFooMasta
- OGRE Contributor

- Posts: 2087
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am
- Location: WA, USA
- x 16
- Contact:
- Praetor
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 3335
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 pm
- Location: Rochester, New York, US
- x 3
- Contact:
I've stopped using overlays and now use the Rectangle2D class placed in the overlay render queue. I'm not sure the batching possible there, but you could just make your own custom quads that can be batched together. It is a very simple geometry after all.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
