A bunch of feature requests

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Post Reply
Bryan_See
Kobold
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:35 pm

A bunch of feature requests

Post by Bryan_See »

I'm thinking that several of the new features that I've yet to be seen in Ogre, such as:
  • Interactive, destructible environments - The surrounding terrain and buildings can be altered and affected by either with explosives or anything, without the need for scripted sequences or special triggered areas which would add or remove certain predefined level elements, like in Red Faction. Also, the buildings and vegetation (with heavy foliage) will be destructible like those seen in Crysis.
  • Dynamic soft shadows with realistic umbra/penumbra
  • Soft particle system
I'm looking forward to the HelpRequested section at the Wiki. These features as mentioned will likely go to the section if they are approved.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

Destructible environments is nothing to do with Ogre, that's a physics / game entity issue.

The other things you mention are just shader effects. You can do them right now.
anlumo
Gnoblar
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 am

Post by anlumo »

maybe this one can help with the destructible environment?

PolyVoxSceneManager
Bryan_See
Kobold
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:35 pm

Post by Bryan_See »

Thanks, I've checked out PolyVoxSceneManager on David William's site. As for the other features that haven't yet to be seen in OGRE is the DirectX 10.1 support. I know that DirectX 10.1 is an incremental update of DirectX 10.0 which will be shipped with, and require, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in January next year. DirectX 10.1 will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10.0 hardware, but the new features will not be available until 10.1 compliant hardware is released. The release mainly sets a few more image quality standards for graphics vendors, while giving me more control over image quality. Features scheduled for DirectX 10.1 include, mandatory 32-bit floating point filtering, mandatory 4x anti-aliasing, and shader model 4.1.
User avatar
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 am
Location: Rockville, MD, USA

Post by Game_Ender »

Ogre doesn't yet support DirectX 10.0. Sinbad is working on it, building off some preliminary community work, but I think the install base for DirectX 10.0 is still very small.
Bryan_See
Kobold
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:35 pm

Post by Bryan_See »

I've got the DirectX 10.0 rendersystem code from CVS, and I would like to clear this with you before I tackle my own choice of it.
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Then what you have is something that only builds -- there is no actual functionality in it yet. Don't hold your breath on DX10 render system -- it will be a while before it's usable; several things internal in Ogre need adjusted to support the way it does things and the assumptions it makes.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Bryan_See
Kobold
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:35 pm

Post by Bryan_See »

xavier wrote:Then what you have is something that only builds -- there is no actual functionality in it yet. Don't hold your breath on DX10 render system -- it will be a while before it's usable; several things internal in Ogre need adjusted to support the way it does things and the assumptions it makes.
That's what I'm going to do. I'm really want to add the functionality in this render system, including geometry instancing, geometry shaders, shader model 4.0, and unified shader models. :)
User avatar
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 9481
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Dublin, CA, US
x 22

Post by xavier »

Don't bother, unless you clear it with Sinbad first, since you both are working on the same thing. Otherwise, you will end up with a DX10 rendersystem that only you have and use -- Sinbad officially is working on the "official" one.

Also bear in mind that many others have begun and since abandoned the effort, for many reasons but I suspect the primary one is "I had no idea how much work it actually would be", which includes "so much stuff inside the current Ogre systems have to change to accommodate this that I gave up".

I suggest letting Sinbad do it. ;)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Image

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:53 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
x 1
Contact:

Post by Vectrex »

or you could ask sinbad which 'bit' to work on and if it turns out good it might go in. Since dx10 has so many different area's it might be possible. Sinbad could make the ogre changes then you could work on the rendersystem for that area... assuming you're good ;)
User avatar
Evak
Orc Shaman
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA
x 1
Contact:

Post by Evak »

sub surface scattering is just a shader that can be created if your card supports shader model 3.
anlumo
Gnoblar
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 am

Post by anlumo »

Hmmm, what about geometry shader support for OpenGL? That should be fairly easy to add.
kcbanner
Goblin
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 4:49 pm

Post by kcbanner »

What are you doing that requires DX 10.0? I think you are just jumping on the bandwagon that "it must be good". Explain what you actually want to do...I am most certain you don't need it yet.
anlumo
Gnoblar
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 am

Post by anlumo »

I personally do have a project that requires geometry shaders, which are part of DX10 (even though I'm using OpenGL right now).
I'm feeding a vertex buffer using CUDA output, which means that it's handled on the GPU without ever touching main RAM, and rendering it to the framebuffer as GL_POINTS.
The points are a particle system (although Ogre3D doesn't know that). I'd like them to have a bit more geometry than a single dot. For this, geometry shaders are perfect.

In my OpenGL-based test code for my graphics, I used a geometry shader to render little arrows, which were even able to display the direction the particle is moving. Much better than telling the hardware to render the same thing 1024 times.
Post Reply