Page 1 of 1

Offline Rendering

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 pm
by LFSoftDev
OGRE is a great real-time renderer and I'm sure the OGRE team are popular with all of us.

I was essentially wondering, though, if there is an equivelant offline renderer or something which can for the basis of an offline renderer, without having to write ray-tracers etc yourself. If not open-source possibly just free or even something like QT where you can access it free and pay when you release a project.

This isn't anything urgent, just something I was pondering and couldn't find any evidece it exhisted.

Thanks for any replies.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:58 pm
by jjp
There is Gelato from NVidia for example. Though I don't know if it is completely free.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:27 pm
by LFSoftDev
Thanks for the info jjp.

Gelato looks to be free from their page and the images look very impressive. http://www.nvidia.com/page/gz_home.html It would be very useful if you are doing in-house rendering and you can control the graphics card.

Anyone know of one that is software rendering so that the graphics card is less essential?

Liam

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:11 pm
by PolyVox
You mean just a regular, offline renderer? There are loads of them! I guess POV-Ray is the original free/open source one, but loads more have poped up since.

Just some random terms to Google for off the top of my head: Pixie, Aqsis, yafray, toxic.

Or just search for 'renderman implementation' or 'open source ray tracer'. Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

Scratch that - look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_tracin ... )#Software

Thanks

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:02 pm
by LFSoftDev
wow, I was definately googling the wrong key words, thanks for that. Some of it looks like very impressive stuff. I'll look into it a bit more v. soon.

Thanks again.