Page 1 of 1

Autobiography

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:46 am
by nikki
Have any of you guys written about your story from the beginning of your experiences with computers till now? That would be an interesting read.

I have a file that I keep adding to as I go along, so over the years it's turned into a (long and boring) 'my story' kind of thing. You can find it here.

Re: Autobiography

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 pm
by Juan
Woh, I enjoyed a lot reading the txt, and learned how you become a game creator
Do you admit a hint? I think you should put photos of your games or anything related to your byo, it would do more interesting and relax reading you :wink:

Re: Autobiography

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm
by nikki
Juan wrote:Woh, I enjoyed a lot reading the txt, and learned how you become a game creator
Do you admit a hint? I think you should put photos of your games or anything related to your byo, it would do more interesting and relax reading you :wink:
Check out my website for pictures (the blog post about the Flickr gallery).

Re: Autobiography

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:03 pm
by Juan
I saw the project grall 2 on this forum, i was looking for see others projects, like kidnapped ,the original grall or the 3d pong, and now i has seen it, and of course your projects and your´s plugins
P.D the link you posted about your website doesn´t work, is a sourceforge link with a system cd rescue :roll:

Re: Autobiography

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:46 pm
by DanielSefton
A really nice read! Would help other youngsters thinking about jumping on the bandwagon. You're never too young to start learning something like this. I wish I got into C++ that early.

Mine's a similar story, except my interest was more in web development of which I started at 11. By 13 I had made a few websites, had my own, and started posting on the site of a web development magazine (BLOCKED). Soon after I was promoted to moderator and got my name in the mag about 4 times. :P Only true programming I did was with PHP at the time - got me familiar with all the basic programming concepts.

I then got into Flash and ActionScript, which is where my interest of making games started. I made about 10 simple Flash games, put those up on my portfolio site (which is now gone) and had those featured in a gaming magazine column (PC Zone for those in the UK). I even started to develop a multiplayer game which communicated with PHP, which in turn sent commands to a MySQL database. As you can tell, player movement was slow because it sent position updates to a database. :lol: Chat worked a treat.

At the age of 14 I joined a 3D open source racing game project. I had only dabbed in 3ds max a few times, but could never grasp it. I had Blender installed, but could never grasp that either -- I decided to go with Blender, got past the confusing interface and discovered the work flow was great. So I started modeling a few racetracks, and got pretty good at it - one made it into the game before the project started to fade. A guy who modeled cars for us got a job at Criterion and worked on Burnout Paradise - the team we had at the time were extremely talented.

At this point I had made a few racetracks and there were no good tutorials that would have helped, so I decided to write one. A 6 part tutorial which took me a few months. That got featured in BlenderNation and a dozen other tutorial sites. Then the racing project died down as the leader didn't have time to maintain it.

A few years later I missed it so I decided to try and continue the project. We were using shockwave at the time - and I felt that it would benefit from been done in C++ instead. That's when I found Ogre a couple of years ago. Developed a nice racing game client, but lost the will to continue with it after so long. I decided to start an RPG-style project just over a year ago. Got a business going combining web and game development and just started learning Objective C and iPhone programming. And yeah, that's where I am today. :P

Wow I got carried away. There's lots more, but I'm not going to write an essay here. :roll:

Re: Autobiography

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:54 pm
by nikki
Juan wrote:P.D the link you posted about your website doesn´t work, is a sourceforge link with a system cd rescue :roll:
LOL, I wonder how that got in there. :P Ok, I fixed the link now, check out the same post

And DaneilSefton, nice story. It's great to see you started out young too, it's a nice time to start. Do tell us the rest of it. :D