Page 1 of 1

Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 am
by Maxym
Recently I had an opportunity to produce any 3D model in plastic via rapid prototyping (thanks to the company I work for). I spent about two hours to convert ogre head model to acceptable format. For that purpose I had to convert it to xml-format and then to write a tool in C# to convert it to text based stl-format. And here it is on my desk now.
The price of the production was about 150 euro, but fortunately I haven't got to pay ;)

Image

P.S.
The bottom part is 70x70 mm.

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 am
by PolyVox
That's awesome! Though can you give some idea of physical size?

Also, I remember reading about a machine like this which would print using chocolate :D

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:41 am
by spacegaier
Cool work. I'm waiting for the time 3D printer become affordable for everyone ;) .

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am
by Juan
It´s very awesome :shock:
It has been made by a printer with 3 lasers ,no?

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:42 am
by spacegaier
How long did it take to sculpt / print it (not the time you needed to convert the formats)?

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm
by Maxym
PolyVox wrote:That's awesome! Though can you give some idea of physical size?
The bottom part is 70x70 mm.
PolyVox wrote:Also, I remember reading about a machine like this which would print using chocolate :D
hm, I'd love to try such a candy :)

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 pm
by Maxym
spacegaier wrote:Cool work. I'm waiting for the time 3D printer become affordable for everyone ;) .
It's almost become the truth. Our company is about make it available for every one via the Internet. Of course not free of charge :)

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm
by Maxym
Juan wrote:It´s very awesome :shock:
It has been made by a printer with 3 lasers ,no?
it's made by printer with only one laser. it produces the model slice by slice.

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:14 pm
by Maxym
spacegaier wrote:How long did it take to sculpt / print it (not the time you needed to convert the formats)?
But it's difficult to say how much time takes producing the model but it was ready the next day I posted the request (I had to work with the system like a real customer).

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:00 pm
by reptor
Cool.

Did you look at AccuTrans 3D? I think it converts to STL. http://www.micromouse.ca/

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm
by Kojack
One day I'll build my own version of the CandyFab 4000: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/candyfab
3D solid model printer using sugar, which costs only about $500us to make.

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 pm
by Maxym
reptor wrote:Cool.

Did you look at AccuTrans 3D? I think it converts to STL. http://www.micromouse.ca/
honestly I didn't spend any time on searching the converter, it seemd to me to write it would be faster to write own one (moreover, it was a good practice in Linq) :).

But next time I'll deffinitely have a look at the tool you mentioned above, thanks!

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm
by Maxym
Kojack wrote:One day I'll build my own version of the CandyFab 4000: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/candyfab
3D solid model printer using sugar, which costs only about $500us to make.
wow, cool machine!
Good luck with your own version!

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 pm
by toglia
I'd like to see more pictures! Looks very cool.

Re: Ogre head has been materialised!

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:16 pm
by toglia
Ups. Not a recent thread, sorry.