Page 1 of 1

Date your documents!

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:15 pm
by reptor
[rant]

:twisted:

How hard is it for you to INSERT THE DATE OF CREATION into a document you place on-line? How hard can it be?

Do it every. Single. Time! I'm fed up with articles not mentioning when they were written, and when they were possibly updated.

INSERT THE DATE OF CREATION AND MODIFICATION INTO ALL OF YOUR ARTICLES WHICH YOU PLACE ON-LINE!!! IT IS NOT HARD TO DO!

[/rant]



That helped. :)

Thanks for reading - and for making sure you do what I said. Don't be one of the idiots who leave the date of creation out of their articles.

It is just a general complaint - not about anything or about anyone here at this website.

Re: Date your documents!

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:46 am
by Assaf Raman
I use the wayback machine.

Re: Date your documents!

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:21 am
by jacmoe
I agree. :)
There's so many blogs without dates, that you can't believe it.
Sometimes, though, you can find dates in the comments, but not always.
It's not good. :wink:

Re: Date your documents!

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 am
by reptor
I don't think the wayback machine is very useful with this problem... you mean I could use that, when I've found a web page, to check how old the page is? Sounds like a lot of hassle, especially when it shouldn't be me doing the work in the first place.

I just ask, if you put a document online, insert a date of creation into it... can't be so damn difficult... :)

And modification date.

It's unbelievable how so many pages don't have them. I've seen how even companies which publish news at their website don't have dates in their news articles.

And the same with many websites which offer software for download - not even a hint of how old the software is! No versions, no dates, nothing. And I am supposed to download their software? I see this way too often.


Argh.


I'm in fact doing often nowadays that I just throw the whole page away, if the date would be relevant, but it isn't there. So I get a bit angry and close the page and never go back to that website.



Hey, I know a good website. http://www.useit.com/

Jakob Nielsen
"Jakob's column on Web usability"

I think every professional and aspiring web developer should read his articles. I'm not saying he is always correct, but I think there is a lot of good advice there at his website.


No, I am not Jakob Nielsen :) sounds like Danish... I'm Finnish.