how often program bugs are generated by hardware, kiosk env
Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 am
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had some experience dealing with software that is intended to run in harsh enviroments, like a public kiosk, knowing it has run 24/7 and deal with electric problems once in a while, but still mantain its memory integrity, or at least knowing it has been corrupted.
I had this discution with a cooworker the other day about memory corruption, he insisted that the class who mantained the most critical data had to be "deleted" and recreated every once in a while just to be sure we started with a fresh clean memory assignment, and that would prevent in some way showing bad information to the public. I thought this had no sense, but nevertheless I would be very grateful to know how often is memory even corrupted because of hardware failure or how can I even tell the user it has happened...
Thanks!
I had this discution with a cooworker the other day about memory corruption, he insisted that the class who mantained the most critical data had to be "deleted" and recreated every once in a while just to be sure we started with a fresh clean memory assignment, and that would prevent in some way showing bad information to the public. I thought this had no sense, but nevertheless I would be very grateful to know how often is memory even corrupted because of hardware failure or how can I even tell the user it has happened...
Thanks!