Page 1 of 1

Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:20 pm
by madmarx
Hello Ogre fellows!

I have some difficulties to find the good way to handle 3D data (jpg, mesh, .scene) in my relatively big project. The data changes during the project because at first we use unfinished scene and characters. The meshes names change, the textures names change etc...

Should I version the .max and original maps, or the exported data?

I tried SVN, without being convinced. This question is not an easy one IMO!

Your experiences and thoughts are welcome :D !

Pierre

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:51 pm
by jacmoe
SVN is much better than Git or Mercurial for binary files. :)

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:32 pm
by Klaim
I think he was talking about suggestions for more graphic/binary data oriented system that would not be very well known by us developers.

If I remember well, there is somethink like that in one of the Adobe suites, some kind of graphic database, but I'm not sure it's as useful as SVN.

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:38 pm
by jacmoe

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm
by madmarx
Thanks for the ideas.

The real problem for me is the creation / destruction of numerous files. Since exports creates lots of differents files each time (maps, meshes), and we work together on the same datas directory, each time we do an update, deleted files come back to life and polute the lasts exports, if they were not properly cleaned etc...

I came up with the following ideas :
-> locking completely the export directory (instead of allowing multi user) when a change is needed could be a good solution indeed. The user just delete everything before reexporting (turtoiseSVN->delete), and then add them all.
-> or merging all exported data into zips/database file could do it ok too.

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 pm
by jacmoe
I think that would be a bad idea if using SVN.
You'd loose the benefit of SVNs good handling of binary deltas.

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:18 am
by jacmoe
A found a blog about DAM:
http://This post is suspected as SPAM! If you feel otherwise contact a moderator./
You might get some ideas from browsing it - he did a comparison of a whole shed-load of Digital Asset Management systems.

Maybe EnterMedia?
http://entermediasoftware.com/index.html
Open source. :wink:

Re: Versionning of 3D data ?

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 pm
by madmarx
Thanks jacmoe!
These are appreciated :D . The DAM blog describe clearly some of my problems, and potential solutions.