Page 1 of 1

3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:05 pm
by stoneCold
Just a new cool technology from intel, which I just discovered on the webs...


The video at intel.com: http://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/ ... 3d-models/

The goal of the project is to make it easy for amateurs to create relatively detailed 3D models.
Kind of cool, for what it's worth.

Discuss :)

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:14 pm
by Pyritie
could be useful as a starting point

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:49 am
by chaosavy
also could lead to a lot of security applications, who needs passwords when you still have your face attached and if you don't then you have bigger problems then checking your email.

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:28 pm
by PolyVox
Ok, I didn't watch the whole video, but it looks pretty similar to the open source software "Insight3D". You can get it here: http://insight3d.sourceforge.net/

I've took a bunch of photos of various statues, etc, while I was travelling, but I haven't got around to processing them so I can't say how well it works...

Re: 3D models from photos (new intel technology)

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 pm
by milliams
This looks a lot like the work that was done by the guys at GRAIL on Bundler which ended being used in the Microsoft Photo Tourism thing. I'm yet to actually get any of it working but it all looks very cool.