Page 1 of 1

TBB License Query

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:17 pm
by MrD
I know people here use TBB so I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out with a license query I have for it.

If it is licensed under GPLv2 with the runtime exception, am I correct in thinking that the runtime exception allows you to create a final executable without releasing the source code for your executable (even for commercial use)? If so, does this also apply if you use TBB in a library with an open source, but non-GPL license?

Of course, if anyone knows of a thread based task scheduler that has a more permissive license, I would also be interested to hear about that.

Re: TBB License Query

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:31 pm
by xavier
Yes, yes, and search for "jobswarm". That said, I still recommend sticking with TBB -- Intel isn't going anywhere, and there is no guarantee that John Ratcliff won't get bored with JobSwarm or stop paying for the hosting...

Re: TBB License Query

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:36 pm
by MrD
Thanks xavier, by "people here", I did in fact mean you.

I have seen and used JobSwarm before, to me it seems fine for throwing a load of tasks at and having them completed across multiple threads, but it just doesn't seem as intelligent as the TBB task scheduler. Plus TBB also has a load of other useful things in its arsenal.

Re: TBB License Query

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:31 pm
by jacmoe
xavier wrote:Yes, yes, and search for "jobswarm". That said, I still recommend sticking with TBB -- Intel isn't going anywhere, and there is no guarantee that John Ratcliff won't get bored with JobSwarm or stop paying for the hosting...
You don't pay to be hosted by Google Code... :wink: