Page 1 of 1
Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 pm
by betajaen
Not spam!
Hey guys,
I want to switch domain registrars due to my unhappiness with my current one, but there are so many out there to choose.
I would like one to that is trustworthy and has good customer service. Domain names are like property now, and to loose them would be extremely worrying.
Does anyone have good ones to recommend? I prefer word of mouth than reviews or rating websites.
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:05 pm
by MrD
I use NameCheap for all my domains. Never had any problems.
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 pm
by jacmoe
Use a dedicated registrar.
I don't have much choice for .dk - there's only one.

Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 am
by Klaim
I bought and moved into several domains I own to gandi.net ("no bullshit" LOL ) :
http://www.gandi.net/
So far they were very good and have a lot of promotions on domain names.
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:20 am
by mkultra333
Be very careful where you do a domain availability check. I did one on Network Solutions, and the obscure domain I was after was stolen within 12 hours after years of being unused, by some guy in China. Poaching based on inside information is alive and well.
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 am
by xavier
I second avoiding NSI. I should switch from them (I reg'ed mine years and years ago, back when they were a legit operation and before they began running these scams). Not sure who to go to but Danica Patrick sure is a hottie... (that would be GoDaddy for the non-open-wheel-racing fans).
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 am
by Kojack
Just for the hell of it, I went to network solutions and did a search for a site name I know doesn't exist yet. Now to see if it pops up in the next few days.

Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:51 am
by mkultra333
It helps (or hurts) if the name has been registered in the past and is for a business.

Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:56 am
by Zonder
I would have to recommend 1 and1
http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=5427203. These may not be the cheapest but me personnaly and the company I work for have been using them for about 5-6 years and we have only had a few issues. 1 issue we had was with a dedicated server randomly going down I reported it and it was fixed in 2 hours was a faulty memory chip. But the fact it was sorted in 2 hours really impressed me. Of course your just looking to register domain so that won't matter yo you

.
Btw options thay give you on domain name control are (they prob don't put this information on the main site I got it from the control panel)
* Changing it to a CNAME. Changing the MX1 - 4 records
* Setting the IP address for the domain name
* Setting the domain to be a HTTP forwader
* Altering the DNS server to your own
* Sub domains with all the above options - (the number of sub domain varies depending on contract off the top of my head simple domain registration is about 5 top end contracts like 4000)
* I beliove each domain gets email addresses with web mail if wanted with virus/spam protection not sure on how many email accounts they do allow 2gb of mail box storage though!!!!
Can't think of any other points if you need to know somthing that would only be in the control panel I can check for you
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:42 pm
by betajaen
Klaim wrote:I bought and moved into several domains I own to gandi.net ("no bullshit" LOL ) :
http://www.gandi.net/
So far they were very good and have a lot of promotions on domain names.
Gandi is on my list, so far from what I've seen of their website and from word of mouth. I'm quite impressed.
Some other chaps in this thread have mentioned email and hosting. I use Slicehost and Github for hosting and I use Google Apps for mail, so I just really want a company that does domains only.
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:56 pm
by mkultra333
I should probably mention Servage, I've used them for many years and have had few problems. Not overly feature rich, but inexpensive and customer support is fairly responsive.
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:02 pm
by xavier
Zonder wrote:I would have to recommend 1 and1
http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=5427203. These may not be the cheapest but me personnaly and the company I work for have been using them for about 5-6 years and we have only had a few issues.
I wasn't aware that 1and1 is a domain registrar; I've had a root server with them for years. Solves *my* problem, thanks.

Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 am
by mvjenn20
I also use censored, although they are not as cheap as they used to be. However, when I had a lot of urls to register I approached them about giving me a better deal, quoting them proces I could get elsewhere. They agreed to bump me up to a discounted rate for quantity. Always worth a try!
Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am
by Zonder
xavier wrote:Zonder wrote:I would have to recommend 1 and1
http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=5427203. These may not be the cheapest but me personnaly and the company I work for have been using them for about 5-6 years and we have only had a few issues.
I wasn't aware that 1and1 is a domain registrar; I've had a root server with them for years. Solves *my* problem, thanks.

You probably get a free domain registration with that as most servers do. Depends on your contract

Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:16 pm
by nikki
Well, I just bought a domain from a GoDaddy. I didn't come across this topic on the forums at the time. So I'm gonna ask now - GoDaddy good?

Re: Looking for a good domain registrar
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 am
by Zonder
GoDaddy is one of them places that buy information about domain registration then they put them up for auction. They have done this twice with the company I work for recently and there is no way they would have thought up the domain. (Boss uses crap checking services)