Page 1 of 1
24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:26 am
by mamairaja
Hello
I am planning to buy a 24 inch monitor to replace my old CRT. But some have told me that it's bit difficult for coding. Is that true?
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 am
by CABAListic
Huh, why would it be? I have one, and it's quite nice. Well, my ideal setup would involve
three such monitors, but I'll need to get rich before I do that

Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 am
by Zonder
I use a 24inch monitor at work since I have a laptop as my workstation., It does work well.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:44 am
by betajaen
I have a 23 inch monitor, and I just use a larger font.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:07 pm
by Zonder
I still have mine on normal and 1920x1200 rez I find that is basically same pixel size as like using 1280x1024 with a 19inch. Does depend on your viewing distance i'm about 50cm away

Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:09 pm
by merlinblack
At my previous job I used two 19" screens, which was really good, however using a 24" non-wide screen at home was really good too, especially using a non overlapping window system. (Multiple terminals, and vim with split views on Linux)
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm
by Emmefd
I'm only coding html / css using PSPad on an 1920x1200 pixel 24-inch LCD-monitor
and it's working fine. Maby not optimal for long text whith little spacing, but as betajaen do, you can choose lager font.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm
by Kojack
I use two 22" Dell 2209WA monitors (eips panels). I've still got a third 2209WA waiting to be hooked up, when I can find a damn eyefinity compatible adapter which doesn't have an insane cost (finally found one, need to order from canada by the look of it) and actually works.
For any serious work I'd hate to be without dual screen, it's great to have something like visual studio on one monitor and firefox on the other with api docs or stuff.
Although that makes it really hard when I go to work. Most of the time I'm in a classroom using a projector, so I need to run in 1024 x 768.

Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm
by Klaim
It's only a rez problem. I have a laptop 15.4" with 1920x1060 (or something like that) and it's far harder to read in native font size than with my 23" with the same resolution.
If your code editor support vectorial fonts (like MSVC2010 at least) then it's not a problem at all. It's even easier to work with several wide screens, all divided in half with code page, doc, scripting etc all around.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:53 am
by mamairaja
thanks for the replies,
As I see all of you are using 22, 23 and 24 monitors without any problems. So I should go for 24. even if i face any text size problem i can set larger font size.
Thank you
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:30 am
by Zonder
I would really go for a dual monitor setup if you can it does make things alot eaiser development wise. Handy when playing games too game in one firefox on other

Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 am
by JaJDoo
24 is bad. you should get a prime number. like... 23. that sounds much better for coding.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 pm
by Brutal
Im on a 24" widescreen with high res, and its hillarious looking at other peoples code. You can tell who was on small monitors/low res because there comment lines take up about 1/4th of my screen width then they go to the next line to continue the comment.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 am
by Zonder
Brutal wrote:Im on a 24" widescreen with high res, and its hillarious looking at other peoples code. You can tell who was on small monitors/low res because there comment lines take up about 1/4th of my screen width then they go to the next line to continue the comment.
I personally never pad to the screen width but lots do

Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:04 pm
by merlinblack
I now have a 23" wide at my new job. Works great but I'm wishing for a "half-maximize", in other words it a maximize type button (or key) and it fills the left or right half of the screen. I'm tending to use the wide in similar fashion to two 19"s. Hmmm, I'm on Linux, so I think I could do something there....
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm
by Kojack
I now have a 23" wide at my new job. Works great but I'm wishing for a "half-maximize", in other words it a maximize type button (or key) and it fills the left or right half of the screen. I'm tending to use the wide in similar fashion to two 19"s. Hmmm, I'm on Linux, so I think I could do something there....
If you were on windows 7, it's Win-Left and Win-Right to maximise to the left or right half of a monitor, or Win-Up to maximise to full screen.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:21 pm
by Kentamanos
Kojack wrote:I now have a 23" wide at my new job. Works great but I'm wishing for a "half-maximize", in other words it a maximize type button (or key) and it fills the left or right half of the screen. I'm tending to use the wide in similar fashion to two 19"s. Hmmm, I'm on Linux, so I think I could do something there....
If you were on windows 7, it's Win-Left and Win-Right to maximise to the left or right half of a monitor, or Win-Up to maximise to full screen.
Sweet...I knew about dragging it to the left or right edge of the screen, but that doesn't work so well when you have dual monitors (if they're side by side can only drag to left edge of screen 1 or right of 2). The keyboard shortcut works great with dual monitors. Thanks Kojack!
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 pm
by RoadWarrior
I bought the Hanns-G 28" monitor back when it was $500. Now it is $299. I am a big fan of 1920x1200. At this price, why not?
My second monitor is a 22" 1680x1050. I would replace it but I only need one big monitor. The other is to run the game in debug mode. It is big enough for now.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:39 am
by Kojack
Also forgot to mention that the Win-Left/Right arrow combinations will cycle through monitors half a screen at a time if you keep pressing them, and Win->Down is minimise.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:21 pm
by Kentamanos
Kojack wrote:Also forgot to mention that the Win-Left/Right arrow combinations will cycle through monitors half a screen at a time if you keep pressing them, and Win->Down is minimise.
Yes the left/right is super sweet on dual monitors.
I tried Win -> Up and it's maximize btw.
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:55 am
by mamairaja
Very recently I have bought a acer 24 inch one.
Picture quality is great.
But having one problem when do coding. Most of the IDEs default background color is white. this is sometimes pain because of the brightness. Monitor it self has an adjustment button for text , movie, graphics etc.... Even I change this to text still it's a pain. I feel that it's too bright. Eye problem?
So what is the brightness and contrast value you are most comfortable with when coding(text read)?
Re: 24 inches monitor and coding
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 am
by betajaen
I've used the
"monokai" colour scheme for IDE and text editors for years. It has a very dark brown-ish background, and seperate bright colours for all of the enums. The only thing I do change is the whitespace colour (which is cyan) to the same colour as the comments; a light brown which blends into the background; as I tend to leave the whitespace on in Visual Studio.
And someone has even ported it to Visual Studio!
http://github.com/mmonteleone/monokai-vs
I find the fonts Inconsolata or Monaco work best in Visual Studio, as long as you increase the font size to 12-14pt.