Page 1 of 1
What to do after a software engineer diploma
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 am
by toglia
Hi, I'm from Venezuela, and I will shortly finish a 5 year software engineering program (don't know how that's called in other countries, in Venezuela its a pre-graduate degree lower than a master, higher than a technical degree) and I'll be moving to Canada after that. My career is very general so no game developing specifics were thought.
Now, I would like to specialize in game programming but certainly not starting with OOP, I would like a more advanced program. So what do you guys would recommend? I really don't know what to look for...
Re: What to do after a software engineer diploma
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm
by nevarim
what does you mean? type of game? or type of addon use?
Re: What to do after a software engineer diploma
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:42 pm
by betajaen
toglia wrote:Now, I would like to specialize in game programming but certainly not starting with OOP, I would like a more advanced program. So what do you guys would recommend? I really don't know what to look for...
Congratulations on getting your degree.
Not being from Canada myself, but when you move there there is bound to be at least one university that has a post-graduate course in Game Design. If not; you could try studying through a remote university (i.e. study at home, and attend virtual lecturers through the internet or telephone), the UK has this and it's called the Open University. I'm sure Canada has an equilvent, or one or two of the universities have a study at home program .
Although, they all probably teach OOP in those courses, as it's modern style of software programming.

Re: What to do after a software engineer diploma
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 pm
by toglia
nevarim wrote:what does you mean? type of game? or type of addon use?
I'm referring to what to do with my life in Canada after graduating with a software engineer diploma (certificate); what courses could I follow to keep in the game development...
nevarim wrote:Although, they all probably teach OOP in those courses, as it's modern style of software programming.
Lol.
Thanks. I'll start looking for post-graduate programs then.
Any Canadian with some specifics on that?