Page 1 of 1

64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:58 am
by 123taylor123
I am not in any way shape or form a computer guru but I do know that a lot of programs have not made a 64 bit version yet. I would like to see a 64 bit version of Ogre prebuilt SDK for Visual C++. I will check http://www.ogre3d.org/ as often as I can to see if this was done.

Thank you,
Taylor

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 am
by madmarx
you want a 64bit static ogre with double precision, using poco thread, not using nedmalloc, for visual C++2003?
Build it yourself from source, or I think you will have to wait a long...long time :wink: .

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:43 pm
by 123taylor123
Ok thanks for the help hope i won't have to wait too long or i'll just try to learn how to make it...but that might take longer since a barely know anything about computers :shock:

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:25 am
by xavier
123taylor123 wrote:I would like to see a 64 bit version of Ogre prebuilt SDK for Visual C++
Any particular reason why? One of the reasons that it hasn't been done yet (therefore keeping the combinatorial maintenance explosion to a minimum) is that there really isn't a widespread general need for it.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:59 pm
by Zonder
I don't see why the prebuild is 32bit my self surley these days we should be building 64bit as default and if you want 32 compile it yourself :)

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 pm
by CABAListic
Visual Studio Express does not ship a 64bit compiler, iirc. Therefore, the 32bit SDK is still usable by more people than a 64bit version.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am
by Zonder
CABAListic wrote:Visual Studio Express does not ship a 64bit compiler, iirc. Therefore, the 32bit SDK is still usable by more people than a 64bit version.
never use express so wasn't aware of that limitation :)

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:51 pm
by Shtuka
CABAListic wrote:Visual Studio Express does not ship a 64bit compiler, iirc. Therefore, the 32bit SDK is still usable by more people than a 64bit version.
I think you just have to download the Windows SDK 7.1 for compiling as 64 bit.

Has anyone succeeded to build Ogre as a 64 bit application on Windows?

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:54 pm
by CABAListic
Yes, it's straight-forward, really. Just build the dependencies in 64bit mode, then choose the correct compiler toolchain in CMake (the one saying 64bit), and you're ready to go.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:00 pm
by Shtuka
Thanks, I'll try this out soon.

How does the performance compare?

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:09 pm
by CABAListic
I haven't compared framerates, but I don't expect significant differences.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:29 pm
by Zonder
CABAListic wrote:I haven't compared framerates, but I don't expect significant differences.
There will be an increase in performance but tbh you will only see it on slow machines. The reson for the increase is the WoW layer manipulates things when switcing to a 32bit thread.

Only other good thing is you will have more addressable memory available which is very helpfull for simulations

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:05 pm
by lordbeast
use your application with more than 2gb memory consumption and you`ll see difference. In all other cases no more perfomance, i think so.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
by Alexiss
For those interested, you can find the compiled x64 binaries for Windows here (Ogre 1.7.3) : http://ogrebin.org/

EDIT: Changed the URL to a tiny.cc one to avoid the real host from being found by crawlers
EDIT2: Fixed dead link

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 pm
by runfrodorun
Zonder wrote:I don't see why the prebuild is 32bit my self surley these days we should be building 64bit as default and if you want 32 compile it yourself :)
Think of this from my perspective: I don't use visual studio at all, and my system is a pentium 4; Even though I have compiled OGRE by source, if the project moves away from 32 bit then I would have some difficulty developing for it, not to mention you as a developer would not be able to sell a game to me. Almost nothing is 64 bit even today, the most I've seen 64 bit was at the very least a universal binary. I don't often come across Intel Itanium or similar binaries.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:10 am
by censor
Won't there be a 64-bit SDK installer for v. 1.8? I have experienced considerable difficulties with the 64-bit v. 1.7.3 that I have compiled from source. My system administrator is fine with installing the SDK in the lab, but he won't compile from source. It looks like I will have to run the 32-bit version on my 64-bit machine as a workaround, but that's not nice.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm
by Alexiss
Link for compiled x64 Windows binaries was dead... updated it.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:22 pm
by Andrey_Karpov
I take this opportunity to offer programmers PVS-Studio. It is possible to find a 64-bit issues (use Viva64 rules set) will be useful. If anyone is interested in attending, let us write to karpov[@]viva64.com. I send a registration key for a while.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:41 am
by caseybasichis
Hi,?

I'm trying to download the win x64 binary sdk mentioned on this thread. Is it just whats in the Ogre3D-v1.7.3 folder for 2010? Is the 1.8rc1 also x64?

For my use ogre is being used in a plugin for an x64 program so x32 is not an option.

Thanks,
Casey

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:20 pm
by Alexiss
Hey,

I think you're looking for this : http://ogrebin.org/Ogre3D-v1.7.3/Ogre3D ... -msvc10.7z

It contains all Ogre 1.7.3 binaries (*.dll, *.lib) x86, x64, release and debug, compiled with Visual Studio 2010
I have not yet compiled Ogre 1.8RC1, so I'm afraid you'll have to compile it yourself if you need x64 libs/bins.

Re: 64 bit C++

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:42 am
by Transporter
Have a look at my topic http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69274. There you can find a 64 bit version of the ogre SDK.