Page 1 of 1

[GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:10 am
by DrRex
Hey,

As I explained in a previous question ( [GSoC 2011] Qualification Question ), I am interested in working on OGRE as part of GSoC, but I do not have much experience with 3D graphics programming or OGRE. I have been looking through the OGRE documentation and source code over the past couple of days, but I don't think that I am confident enough with the material yet to propose a project. I am eager to dive in and start learning things, but I want to make sure that I am focusing on things that will allow adequate breadth AND depth of understanding in areas that could lead to a project. I was hoping that some of you could throw me some suggestions on how I should approach my studying.

The project from the "Help Requested" area that I would be most interested in is the DirectX 11 updates, but if anyone can think of a more appropriate project for somebody with my skill set (good C++ programmer with a solid mathematical background and a lot of GUI programming experience), please let me know.

Thanks,
Adam

Re: [GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm
by Assaf Raman
I think that DirectX 11 is not the right choice for you, it requires more experience.
On the help wanted page the topic "Binary format support for scripts" doesn't require extensive 3d experience, so possibly it is a better choice.
Feel free to suggest ideas of your own.

Re: [GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:12 pm
by DrRex
Thanks! I'll start looking into that.

-Adam

Re: [GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 am
by syedhs
Assaf Raman wrote: On the help wanted page the topic "Binary format support for scripts" doesn't require extensive 3d experience, so possibly it is a better choice.
I think there is already one done, in the showcase section. Let me check the url.

Edit: Here it is: clicky

Re: [GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:22 am
by Assaf Raman
@syedhs: You are right, I forgot about it. Sorry.

Re: [GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 pm
by abbec
I am asking in this thread since the thread fits my question too :D

I am a fourth year master student in Media Technology (which is a computer science master geared towards computer graphics). I am currently based in Norrköping which is a Campus at Linköping University. I am currently taking a course in Advanced Computer Graphics and there I am going to implement a deferred rendering in DX11. I have strong C++ and computer graphics programming skills which should be sufficient for this task.

I was very excited when I saw that you guys needed help with your DX11 system and my thought was applying to that for this year's GSoC. My question is what is reasonable for a GSoC project? My idea was to implement Tessellation (Hull-Shader and Domain-Shader), Multithreaded Rendering (deferred rendering) and demos for these features. Is this a realistic project?

Please let me know what you think :)

Re: [GSoC 2011] DirectX 11 Project Question

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:56 pm
by Assaf Raman
@abbec: Sound good to me - create a new thread on this forum, write more about your project, ideas and yourself.