[GSoC 2011] Student looking for a little advice
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Hail the forum!
About me: I'm a student at the University of Pennsylvania, studying Digital Media Design; and I've been tinkering with OGRE for a while. I'm a longtime lurker with an interest in contributing; and as I've got a better knowledge of OpenGL and graphics progamming now than in years past, I have been considering submitting a project for GSoC.
The purpose of this post, really, is to try and get a feel for how large or small a potential proposal should be, and to try and narrow down my interests. I would love to pursue the more novel uses of a deferred rendering solution, such as the recent (very cool) paper on sub-pixel reconstruction anti-aliasing http://anteru.net/projects/research/sub ... ialiasing/ ; both splatted and volume-based GI for realtime, and similar deferred-rendering specific optimizations/features.
Of the items on the help requested page, I found alternative particles rendering, CHC, and dual-quaternions to hold my attention most. I'm curious if others think that the particles rendering would really constitute an entire GSoC - if not, one thought I had involved potentially implementing a more robust set of both that and related items, like volume rendering.
In short: I don't have much DirectX experience, and while I find several suggested projects interesting, I'm a bit wary that my knowledge in some areas might be too low - while at the same time I'm a little unsure how to shape my own interests into a project proposal of an appropriate size and GSoC-worthy goals. What I do have is several years of C++ experience and a understanding of low-level OpenGL that's getting better all the time; and hopefully some good advice from the fine folks on the forum.
~Chris
P.S. After reading the other GSoC posts, I remember reading the advice that I have a look at fixing some outstanding papercuts - hopefully that'll happen later this week when classes quiet up a bit.
About me: I'm a student at the University of Pennsylvania, studying Digital Media Design; and I've been tinkering with OGRE for a while. I'm a longtime lurker with an interest in contributing; and as I've got a better knowledge of OpenGL and graphics progamming now than in years past, I have been considering submitting a project for GSoC.
The purpose of this post, really, is to try and get a feel for how large or small a potential proposal should be, and to try and narrow down my interests. I would love to pursue the more novel uses of a deferred rendering solution, such as the recent (very cool) paper on sub-pixel reconstruction anti-aliasing http://anteru.net/projects/research/sub ... ialiasing/ ; both splatted and volume-based GI for realtime, and similar deferred-rendering specific optimizations/features.
Of the items on the help requested page, I found alternative particles rendering, CHC, and dual-quaternions to hold my attention most. I'm curious if others think that the particles rendering would really constitute an entire GSoC - if not, one thought I had involved potentially implementing a more robust set of both that and related items, like volume rendering.
In short: I don't have much DirectX experience, and while I find several suggested projects interesting, I'm a bit wary that my knowledge in some areas might be too low - while at the same time I'm a little unsure how to shape my own interests into a project proposal of an appropriate size and GSoC-worthy goals. What I do have is several years of C++ experience and a understanding of low-level OpenGL that's getting better all the time; and hopefully some good advice from the fine folks on the forum.
~Chris
P.S. After reading the other GSoC posts, I remember reading the advice that I have a look at fixing some outstanding papercuts - hopefully that'll happen later this week when classes quiet up a bit.