"YAT" - A new game using Ogre, help me test! :)

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

"YAT" - A new game using Ogre, help me test! :)

Post by DWORD »

Hi,

I've just finished my first complete game: "YAT - Yet Another Tetris clone"! I decided to start with a simple realistic project, and thanks to that decision I managed to actually complete it. Thanks to everybody here that helped me, and especially thank you for making such a great engine!

I would like you to help me beta test the game. You can downlaod the binaries (only Win32 until someone ports it ;)) from: http://dword.dk/. The sources will be online in a few days... I have to write some instructions for them first. Here are a couple of screenshots:

Image Image

(full resolution images and more shots are at my site - how do I add a link to the thumbnails? :roll:)

The new mesh format, and reducing the number of buffers doubled the frame rate. The screenshots are taken using OpenGL, but for some reason DirectX runs nearly twice as fast on my system - I guess it's the ATI drivers :?

Hope you like the game :)

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

If you have HTML enabled for your posts, you can use image links.

Downloading the game right now. I'll test it and tell you what I get ;)

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Kencho wrote:If you have HTML enabled for your posts, you can use image links.
Thanks... Tried enabling HTML in my profile, but it seems I can't edit the old post with HTML enabled. Doesn't matter.
Kencho wrote:Downloading the game right now. I'll test it and tell you what I get ;)
Looking forawrd to it :)

Crashy
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Crashy »

Wow, very good tetris game :) ;)
But it works only in window mode here.
Follow la Moustache on Twitter or on Facebook

buto_
Gnoblar

Post by buto_ »

Nice game !
From a user point of view, it looks clean and simple.

Just a little thing : that would be great to be able to reconfigure video options in an other way than deleting the ogre.cfg...
How about putting an Options item in the game ?

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

buto_ wrote:Nice game !
From a user point of view, it looks clean and simple.

Just a little thing : that would be great to be able to reconfigure video options in an other way than deleting the ogre.cfg...
How about putting an Options item in the game ?
Thanks... :) Agree on the "Options" but I think it was worse if the configuration dialog would appear everytime. I also thought making an Options item, but it requires a little more work to do. Maybe I should make it some time.

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Crashy wrote:Wow, very good tetris game :) ;)
Do you get an error message? If i remember correctly I had problems enabling some of the anti-alias settings in DirectX.

dennis
Gremlin

Post by dennis »

Works great! Fantastically simplistic! Changing the view with the mouse is also a great idea.

nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

Controls and game play worked very nice. Congrats on a job well done. The game ran well in window and full screen mode on OS:Win XP + GPU:ATI 9600 XT.

Are you going to try adding some sound FX?

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Cool clone. When 2.0?
Just one appointment. Could you slow down the dropping? I use to pull down pieces to avoid waiting, but they just drop completely!

Anyhow, a great game. Good job ;)

SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Very nice. Solid, simple, clean interface. Good job :)

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

nfz wrote:Controls and game play worked very nice. Congrats on a job well done. The game ran well in window and full screen mode on OS:Win XP + GPU:ATI 9600 XT.

Are you going to try adding some sound FX?
Thanks. Thought about sound, and I think sound FX has to be of very good quality if they aren't going to drive you crazy. I don't think I can make such samples, but if anyone knows of some free, quality ones I would like to know ;)

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Kencho wrote:Just one appointment. Could you slow down the dropping? I use to pull down pieces to avoid waiting, but they just drop completely!
It's possible but it requires a recompilation. Maybe it should be an option too.

chooikw
Kobold

Post by chooikw »

Good job! Tetris is my favourite console game when i was young :D
Game programming is fun!

Crashy

Post by Crashy »

Wow, very good tetris game Smile Wink

Do you get an error message? If i remember correctly I had problems enabling some of the anti-alias settings in DirectX.
No, no error message(but I didn't read the log file). I'll tryc without FSAA.
Follow la Moustache on Twitter or on Facebook

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nice work. I want to assemble a group of games / applications with source code to put on a new page on the website in the near future, so I'll put this one on my list.

eZZy
Gnoblar

Post by eZZy »

...... MSVCP71.dll was not found......
Thats what I get.

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

eZZy wrote:...... MSVCP71.dll was not found......
Thats what I get.

Code: Select all

NB: The program needs the files "msvcr71.dll", and "msvcp71.dll"
to run. If you haven't got these you can download them from
http://www.dll-files.com/. Just put them in the same folder as
the executable or in C:\Windows\system32\.
That's what the readme says in one of the first paragraphs ;)

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

sinbad wrote:Nice work. I want to assemble a group of games / applications with source code to put on a new page on the website in the near future, so I'll put this one on my list.
Thanks. That's a good idea, more source code using Ogre in addition to the demos will be very helpful I think.

eZZy
Gnoblar

Post by eZZy »

Thanks, i rearely read the readme file... :( should do it more often! :) Nice work, though I agree to Kencho, that full droping is very irritating! :)

dennis
Gremlin

Post by dennis »

One of the best Tetris-incarnations ever is Twintris (which used to run on the Amiga). The two player battle mode (scratch 4 lines and the entire screen shakes), the way the blocks are controlled (very smoothly) and the sound fx are the things that made Twintris that good.
Download and learn :D

Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

pretty cool... 2040pt/95 lines on second try :P

some tweaks i think of that might be nice:

- a (linear) grid so you better see the columns.
- pressing down shouldn't drop it immediately down but increase the speed, multiple taps to have it down.
- allow rotation of blocks on edges.
- cegui interface... Eh no, ignore that, it's a very nice clean interface you have there :P a cursor would be nice though.

Its nice you can rotate the box where the blocks fall along. But it's a bit of a gimmick now, maybe you could create a 3D tetris gameMode with that. so a column like you have now, but with an additional axis. blocks could be the same known types or a few new 3d ones. you could then control it with one hand on the mouse and the other on the arrows. that would give something like mouselook with mouse, arrows could move along the horizontal plane, left and right click for rotation. An additional top down and or side viewport could further help orientation. Maybe some helper garphics like projection lines and ghost block where it will be. Anyway, if you add new stuff like simple games like that it quickly adds up, in the above example you should also extend the game rules like having a complete plane of blocks at once and such...

Just an idea... Not sure if it would work. But you have a solid base already and it could be a cool experiment (prety much noone succeeded with improved tetris gameplay implementations)

I like how you decided to do a little game like that, it indeed helps finishing it. Even then, for a really complete thing you might consider different levels/ difficulty settings... it never stops eh.

Nice work!
. . .

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Cyberdigitus wrote:pretty cool... 2040pt/95 lines on second try :P

some tweaks i think of that might be nice:

- a (linear) grid so you better see the columns.
- pressing down shouldn't drop it immediately down but increase the speed, multiple taps to have it down.
- allow rotation of blocks on edges.
- cegui interface... Eh no, ignore that, it's a very nice clean interface you have there :P a cursor would be nice though.

[snip]

Nice work!
Wow, thanks for the thorough comment :). I tried using some kind of grid, but it didn't really help, and it looked ugly; it was disturbing. The pressing down-key thing is fixed, see my next post. Rotation on edges - yup; alternatively just move the piece before rotating. Interface... I haven't felt like learning CeGui yet, so I hope the static overlays will stay :P.

I also thought about the 3d Tetris idea; I fear it's not really playable, and at least it's a lot more complicated than this little thing ;). "Solid base" hehe - don't know if you can call it that. There's still room for improvement, and it would require major changes to do a 3d version :)

DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Source code has been released! You can grab it from the same place as the binaries (see first post)... Please report if it compiles properly if you try it. I'm specifically interested in if it compiles with 0.15.0.

If the fonts rendered look wider than they should, you need to apply this patch: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=302997 to Ogre.

There's still room for a lot of improvements in the code/design, so don't beat me ;). Hope some of you find it useful, though...

@Kencho & co.: Now pressing down arrow increases speed rather than dropping immediately. Binaries are updated, same location.

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Thanks! I'll spend some time of my life playing tetris (again ;))