Page 1 of 1

Favourite technical books?

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 pm
by nikki
What books do you think influenced the way you think about software design the most? I mean books that are geared toward experienced developers rather than beginners. For example, people often mention 'Code Complete' and 'Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs'.

I have about 4 months of complete free time before college begins, so I was thinking of reading some interesting books (among other things, of course).

Re: Favourite technical books?

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 pm
by Klaim
Code Complete I didn't finish it yet because it's a big book.

But The Pragmatic Programmer tells everything, in a so simple way, that I read it again years later (it's not a big book)and I now understand even more what they were saying. It's really a must.

In fact, look on stackoverflow.com and programmers.stackexchange.com they have lists of such books. Those two are often the 2 firsts in lists.

Re: Favourite technical books?

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02 am
by Praetorian
I'd be interested in seeing what people recommend as well, I've been programming for quite some time, but really haven't read a lot of formal stuff on software design.. and my CS classes thus far really haven't covered much on the larger scale software design end of things.

Re: Favourite technical books?

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 am
by jacmoe
Here's some favorite books:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Recommended+reading

If you haven't got Scott Meyers' books, get them. :)

Highly recommended.
C++ programming is a complex art - and I really like his tips and tricks of the trade.

Effective C++ and Effective STL is must-have reading material IMO.

Re: Favourite technical books?

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:15 pm
by Klaim
jacmoe++ for the C++ side of the world.

Code Complete and The Pragmatic Programmer are more general than those books but they are essential to understand how to work efficiently with C++.

Stackoverflow advices :

- What is the single most influential book every programmer should read? : Code Complete, The Pragmatic Programmer are currently first and second.
- The Definitive C++ Book Guide and List
- Language Books/Tutorials for popular languages

Programmers.stackexchange.com advices :
- If you could only have one programming related book on your bookshelf what would it be and why? : Code Complete and The Pragmatic Programmer as the most voted books


That's a start.